IOTAVX SA3 Amplifier - Overheating Problem?

AQ111

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
I wonder if anyone owns one of these and could help me?

I've had this amp for 3 weeks and the top of it feels hotter (subjective I know) than any previous amp I've owned. I originally had it positioned with a CD player sitting on top of it, which obviously didn't help the cooling, and the top was too hot to comfortably keep my hand on it for very long. The front panel was also very warm. I now have it free standing on a shelf with nothing above. It has cooled down somewhat but the top still feels very warm to the touch, though I can now comfortably keep my hand on it, and the front panel is just slightly warm. I've seen videos of these amps in a stack or sitting inside cabinets - I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that with something that runs this hot.

The amp is driving a pair of 90 db, 8 ohm speakers in a 4m x 4m room. I listen at low to medium volume levels. Never go beyond -30 db on the amp's volume display.

I sent an email to the manufacturer 2 weeks ago but have had no response, so I thought I would try here before phoning them.

Thank you.

I don't have one but has it always run hot or have you just suddenly noticed it?
It has a large toroidal transformer in the middle but also two large heatsinks so it's obviously going to get warm and its height isn't going to help cooling but if it's getting to be a concern I would certainly get it checked out as too much heat isn't going to do the other internal components any good in the long run.

AQ111

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
Wow, 3 replies in 8 minutes... thank you!

All points taken and valid I think.

No the heat issue was there from the start.

I may have to invest in a digital thermometer as all I have is my subjective hand reading to go on. I'm comparing it to my Arcam Alpha 8R, which never seemed to produce any heat at all, even on the top plate.

Wow, 3 replies in 8 minutes... thank you!

All points taken and valid I think.

No the heat issue was there from the start.

I may have to invest in a digital thermometer as all I have is my subjective hand reading to go on. I'm comparing it to my Arcam Alpha 8R, which never seemed to produce any heat at all, even on the top plate.
Well really it was only two replies... :)
As stated, by the very design of the amplifier, I would expect it to run hotter than the Arcam particularly as it's heat-sinks are internal.
However, if it gets to the point where you can fry an egg on the top I would look at taking it back.... :)

AQ111

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
Well really it was only two replies... :)
As stated, by the very design of the amplifier, I would expect it to run hotter than the Arcam particularly as it's heat-sinks are internal.
However, if it gets to the point where you can fry an egg on the top I would look at taking it back.... :)

Thank you, I certainly will :)

D

Deleted member 116933

You really can't 2 compare to different amps to how it gets, It's obviously biased to run into class A a little more than usual. That's my guess anyhow. A digital meter would be meaningless to you as you have no bass line for that amp.

I suspect it's fine especially if it hasn't shut its self down. As it will have a thermal shutoff inside.

As others had said BIG transformer BIG heat sinks in a slim design, so they're expecting it to get hot!

As you have done keep it in free space in a well-ventilated area it's obviously pulling a lot of current.

Best way to get in contact with any company today is social media you will get almost an instant response. hope you find your answer soon

AQ111

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
You really can't 2 compare to different amps to how it gets, It's obviously biased to run into class A a little more than usual. That's my guess anyhow. A digital meter would be meaningless to you as you have no bass line for that amp.

I suspect it's fine especially if it hasn't shut its self down. As it will have a thermal shutoff inside.

As others had said BIG transformer BIG heat sinks in a slim design, so they're expecting it to get hot!

As you have done keep it in free space in a well-ventilated area it's obviously pulling a lot of current.

Best way to get in contact with any company today is social media you will get almost an instant response. hope you find your answer soon

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking I could report back to the manufacturer with a digital reading. Like you say, the design is meant to run hot and it's probably absolutely fine. I'm old and don't have social media but I'll get my nephew to drop them a line tomorrow - better safe than sorry.

HiFi1

Nov 21, 2020
Visit site
Hi AQ111

I have the SA3 and PA3, both run hot. The PA3 more so, especially the heat sink to the side where the power cable plugs in. Not too hot to touch though.

As per previous comments, this be may be inherent to the design.

Have you clarified with IOTA?

richmess

Dec 26, 2020
Visit site
I wonder if anyone owns one of these and could help me?

I've had this amp for 3 weeks and the top of it feels hotter (subjective I know) than any previous amp I've owned. I originally had it positioned with a CD player sitting on top of it, which obviously didn't help the cooling, and the top was too hot to comfortably keep my hand on it for very long. The front panel was also very warm. I now have it free standing on a shelf with nothing above. It has cooled down somewhat but the top still feels very warm to the touch, though I can now comfortably keep my hand on it, and the front panel is just slightly warm. I've seen videos of these amps in a stack or sitting inside cabinets - I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that with something that runs this hot.

The amp is driving a pair of 90 db, 8 ohm speakers in a 4m x 4m room. I listen at low to medium volume levels. Never go beyond -30 db on the amp's volume display.

I sent an email to the manufacturer 2 weeks ago but have had no response, so I thought I would try here before phoning them.

Thank you.

I don't know about the heat ... I am in room with the air conditioning set at 25c and the top of the amp is a little warmer at the volume knob side ... but overall it actually has a metallic cool feel.

BUT ... I did want to say thank you for mentioning the lack of response from the company. I've written 5 times in the last 10 days, by various channels, and I think that is total ****.

I can't use my optical connection, and the front panel says 'Unlock'. Nothing in the manual. Not finding anything on the internet.

Bit pissed off as I think this a very nice product and this is spoiling things. It is very incovenient for me.

enlightenment

Aug 6, 2021
Visit site
I can't use my optical connection, and the front panel says 'Unlock'. Nothing in the manual. Not finding anything on the internet.

I ran into this issue. Really easy fix, lol.

I didn't have the toslink connector pushed in completely. Once the connector clicked into the optical connection, everything worked as expected.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts