chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
iOS 8 ugrade on my iPhone 5 whizzed through in about 45 minutes this morning (started it @ 10:30 to miss the 'rush' on the servers in the USA).

iOS 8 upgrade on the iPad Mini took a bit longer. I started it 2 hours ago but after 10 minutes it was claiming '12 hours remaining' so I killed off the download by switching off it's wi-fi.

Resumed the download about 1 hour ago and the upgrade is done. (I've just done the set-up stuff for iCloud, location etc.)

I know, I should have done the iPad when the Americans were asleep (and not 'thrashing' those servers) as well.

Anyhoo. All done. No pain, no fuss. Just a bit of waiting whilst I got on with other stuff. Didn't take a whole day like the 104 updates to Windows 8 on my daughter's new laptop took recently! (And most of the following day installing 8.1)

Only 'Yosemite' on the Mac Mini to go now. (23rd September apparently.)

steve iow

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
hi chebby,tried to download on ipad air waited 40 min only to say error on download , what do you suggest leave it, and try tomorrow.all new to me this ios stuff thanks steve

Terryff

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Worked a treat on the mini, but not got enough room on the iphone 5s, it requires 5.8gb (i know i should have bought the 32gb version). Will have to remove the music for a bit.

daveh75

chebby said:
iOS 8 ugrade on my iPhone 5 whizzed through in about 45 minutes this morning (started it @ 10:30 to miss the 'rush' on the servers in the USA).

iOS 8 upgrade on the iPad Mini took a bit longer. I started it 2 hours ago but after 10 minutes it was claiming '12 hours remaining' so I killed off the download by switching off it's wi-fi.

Resumed the download about 1 hour ago and the upgrade is done. (I've just done the set-up stuff for iCloud, location etc.)

I know, I should have done the iPad when the Americans were asleep (and not 'thrashing' those servers) as well.

Wouldn't of made any difference given you would of been downloading it from servers in London.

I suspect the 'speedy' download was partly because Apple were using their own new(ish) CDN this time around, rather than Akamai/Level 3

And partly the lower rate of adoption than previous iOS versions.

No offence, but why on earth would you want it today, when the bugs will have been fixed in a few weeks?

That is not to say I'm not curious too, but it isn't as though it needs an urgent update, say for security reasons.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
nopiano said:
No offence, but why on earth would you want it today, when the bugs will have been fixed in a few weeks?

I wasn't aware of any bugs.

I've not experienced any bugs.

Are there bugs?

(As much as it might horrify some people, I have always installed the latest iOS very soon after release on my past three iPhones with no ill effect.)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have only just noticed that I can type an entire post on this iPad without the keyboard locking up (as it used to post WHF website upgrade and pre iOS 8 upgrade).

Is this pure coincidence - has WHF implemented a fix in the last 24 hours or so - or did the developer use a Beta version of iOS 8 to test iDevice compatibilty?

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I too have updated my iPhone and iPad to iOS 8. No problems at all both were very fast and painless, no bugs so far that I've noticed and I like the new notification controls and features.

Thumbs up from me! I'm just waiting for Yosemite on the iMac next.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
iOS 8.1 now loaded on iPad and iPhone. Very small updates this time. (Only 69MB)

Along with Yosemite (on my Mac Mini) I can now start to look at which new features will be useful to me.

Meanwhile the essentials are all working fine ...

15585831902_2eaa3387c3.jpg

(Via 'Remote app' on iPhone showing what's playing on AirPlay from Mac MIni to Marantz.)

I have now - finally - consolidated my two iTunes onto just one (on the new Mac Mini). I used to have them on a Dell laptop system and on my old (very old) iMac. All the voice/documentary/comedy/drama/audiobooks content on one machine (ripped to 320K AAC VBR for syncing to my iDevices) and all the music content on the old iMac ripped in ALAC.

I've now moved everything over and have a Samsung external DVD writer on order from Amazon for ripping future CDs (and a bunch I still need to do). I actually like the Mac Mini for NOT having a built-in optical drive! It's the thing most likely to fail, so I might as well have a sub £20 external DVD writer that will cause no tears if it goes kaput. (It will spend most of the time in a drawer anyway.)

D

Deleted member 2457

chebby said:
How did you get on gel?
Downloaded it, but UK Yahoo is still not working well with my emails. Safari can be a bit of a pain too, but not too bad. I suppose I've got to wait until the next one!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts