Interference... I think? New speakers with vintage receiver?

frogroar

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

I have a vintage hi-fi system at home: a Kenwood KA-2000 stereo receiver with two Voicetec 300DX speakers. It's OK if no one knows the brand Voicetec, I cannot find much information about them on the internet at all... they used to be my father's when he was younger. It all sounds very good in my opinion, even CDs and iPod-music is great on them.

The left speaker seems to have a little problem though: after about 30 minutes of "getting power" (meaning it doesn't necessarily needs to play music for the problem to occur), I can hear this cracking interference-ish noise. I know it's probably very difficult to analyse the problem like this, but maybe this is a common thing? Maybe someone on here perfectly knows what this means? :)

Anyway, if the problem cannot be solved, I'm ready to go and buy new speakers. The B&W's 684 caught my eye. Is it a good idea to connect those speakers to my KA-2000?

Thanks a lot for your help and tips! :)

A

Anonymous

Are you sure it is a problem with the speakers? I would have thought the amp would be the more likely culprit.

Have you tried swapping the connections to the left and right speakers, to see if the problem moves to the other side?

TRENDING THREADS