Interesting Video interview with Joel Silver founder of ISF - talks about BT1886 Gamma and new REC2020

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I so wish I had the money to get my LX5090 calibrated and.

Some of the things he said went over my head but it's good to know 4K and the rules that have been agreed upon can finally allow digital pictures to be set to a standard they have pretty much wanted from the start.

I think if there hadn't been NTSC and everyone had been able to use PAL all those years ago, they migt have go there sooner.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Where do you live Glacial - I got great results after calibrating my 5090.

You cant do BT1886 calibration because you dont have gamma control but you can get an Excellent 2.2 gamma calibration out of it

But that video shows BT1886 is the way forward for dark room viewing - I did say so I dont mind saying :)

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hello mate. I live near Slough, Berkshire.

The thing is the room is not at a dark enough state that I would feel happy getting it calibrated even if I had the money.

The set up I have done on it with my THX disc has done a pretty good job and eny time I see another TV I know mine looks more accurate. I'm also aware that it's no way near it's full potential. I'm convinced some of the artifacts I see on BDs are due to it needing calibration.

There ar 3 Gamma settings but I can't tell which ones more accurate and I wouldn't touch the colour managment without a meter.

A mate of mine does ISF calibration and I've been waiting for the funds and the rigt room to give him a call and come and do it.

I'd be interested to see what you think of my current picture against yours though.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Without a calibration I would use bumptious settings - you can find these easy enough.

These are not as good as a full cal but their not bad. If your pal is ISF surely he will do it for you cheap.

The 5090 is a great TV but it doesnt compare with the newer pannnys I dont think after now owning both - you have much more control and are able to calibrate them better for me BT1886 or even a deeper 2.4 gamma cal really makes a big difference

I am proud of the image I get on my set as I calibrated it myself Dave Vann member on here has seen it.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Naa not much chance of getting mates rates I don't think. He was an ex work colegue and I rarely see him now. He was actually my boss for a few months before we all got made redundant.

We had the first Panasonic 3D Plasma TVs at the job I just mentioned. I bet they have come on a long way now but my mate found out they had a habit of the pannals getting brigter with age making the blacks lose their depth and nothing could be done about it. Pansonic told him that.

Unfortunately the company we workde for wouldn't fork out to have the calibrated which we thought was silly seeing as we were doing QA testing on DVDs and BDs. Would love to have seen how good they looked.

The one thing that really stood out that was bad about those Plasma screens was all the little dots you would get as if it was Plasma boil. I have found it on other Panasonics too and there seemed to be now way of getting rid of it.

I hope your set doesn't have it. At a glance on RS website your TV looks like a Kuro but on a different stand. Looks like a sweet huge TV. No point in saying little for a 65" TV haha.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You are talking about dither - the newer Pioneers have much less noticeable dither than the kuro which makes for a cleaner picture. Calibrated these TV's really are incredible if fed with the right stuff - 3D is just as good as well

No idea about the future of the blacks on the set - we will see.

All I know is my metre wont read 0ire on my screen its too dark for it, but it would read 0ire on my Kuro - means nothing but I take a bit from it.

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi all i can vouch for ellisdj tv picture quality,i have to say its the best ive seen,to be honest ,i dont think i could fault it ellisdj calibrated my tv pioneer lx508 d having been using pioneers movie setting i thought i had a great picture after calbration it was a bit dark from what im used to ,after watching movies and going back and forth between optimum settings the difference was night and day the pioneer setting in my eyes was over blown and i havent gone back to them.calibration is a must if you really want to get the best out of your tv ellisdj puts alot of effort into getting it right i would definitely recommend him for calibration cheers david

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi all for those want to see some great pictures of the kuro in action go to the avs forum and look up pioneer picture thread,some really good pickys there.cheers david

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
davidvann said:
hi all i can vouch for ellisdj tv picture quality,i have to say its the best ive seen,to be honest ,i dont think i could fault it ellisdj calibrated my tv pioneer lx508 d having been using pioneers movie setting i thought i had a great picture after calbration it was a bit dark from what im used to ,after watching movies and going back and forth between optimum settings the difference was night and day the pioneer setting in my eyes was over blown and i havent gone back to them.calibration is a must if you really want to get the best out of your tv ellisdj puts alot of effort into getting it right i would definitely recommend him for calibration cheers david

Hi Dave.

I have no doubt elisdj would do a top job calibrating my Kuro. I just don't have the money and currently my room is not quite how I want it. I will also wait till my wife and I can buy ourselves a house so I don't have to fork out to have calibration done again. Even though it is worth doing every few years like a top up to make sure it's still set right.

Personally for best picture without calibration on any TV the picture setting should be "Standard" or "Neutral" Yes Movie mode does tend to look over blown and soft just like Dynamic has stupidly hi contrast.

Unfortunately people generally don't realise or are uneducated that a TV picture should look like real life (unless it's been colour graded for mood). They see the picture in the shops and go "oh that looks really clear and HD" forgetting or unaware the shops lights are distorting their view and they are looking at a high contrast picture to compensate for the light and th sharpness up high to give the impression of more detail.

I'm sure you knew this and its good to know you got your TV calibrated and have been educated when you swapped between the 2 different settings. I will join the club one day and look forward to it with anticipation.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:

All I know is my metre wont read 0ire on my screen its too dark for it, but it would read 0ire on my Kuro - means nothing but I take a bit from it.

I hope they sorted the black levels issue.

If you meter can't read 0ire off you panny panal doesn't that mean the panny can't create blacks as dark as the Kuro or is that what you meant? That is the reason the Kuros were/are so good because they can produce the darkest blacks.

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi glacialpath,thanks for your reply,i will say that ellisdj prices are more than reasanble,if you p/m him you might be able to sort something out,i have been able to take my lx508d to another level ,for the last two years ive had alot of problems with my tv,if you look on avf forums will give you an idea of the problems ive had with my tv,its listed my fogy tv,which is on the first page of the plasma forum, now,with some help from the guys on there and some voltage changes my kuro is running better than when it was new .There are some real ,if you like some real kuro tweakers on there and you might be able to pick up some settings or some helpfull tips.cheers david

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
ellisdj said:

If you meter can't read 0ire off you panny panal doesn't that mean the panny can't create blacks as dark as the Kuro or is that what you meant? That is the reason the Kuros were/are so good because they can produce the darkest blacks.

The other way around it cant read it because its darker than the metre will read - so it appears 0ire is deeper black on my 65VT65 than on my 5090.

The HD TV Test reviews put them at insignificantly the same black levels.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
davidvann said:

Hi Dave.

I have no doubt elisdj would do a top job calibrating my Kuro. I just don't have the money and currently my room is not quite how I want it. I will also wait till my wife and I can buy ourselves a house so I don't have to fork out to have calibration done again. Even though it is worth doing every few years like a top up to make sure it's still set right.

Personally for best picture without calibration on any TV the picture setting should be "Standard" or "Neutral" Yes Movie mode does tend to look over blown and soft just like Dynamic has stupidly hi contrast.

Unfortunately people generally don't realise or are uneducated that a TV picture should look like real life (unless it's been colour graded for mood). They see the picture in the shops and go "oh that looks really clear and HD" forgetting or unaware the shops lights are distorting their view and they are looking at a high contrast picture to compensate for the light and th sharpness up high to give the impression of more detail.

I'm sure you knew this and its good to know you got your TV calibrated and have been educated when you swapped between the 2 different settings. I will join the club one day and look forward to it with anticipation.

Hi Glacial - out of the box the LX5090 most accurate setting is Cinema mode - with colour space 2 this gives the most accurate colours and best/ flattest 2.2 gamma settings.

Other picture mode settings are far less accurate. see the HD TV Test review

In terms of calibration I dont do day or night - I just do 1 setting - using the cinema picture mode and make that the best it can be. You wouldnt need to calibrate it again it would bee set for dark room viewing but I use the same settings all the time.

If you look at the other people who have had calibrations done - they all use the night time setting all the time. Unless its silly bright in the room you wont lose much - if its that bright its hard to watch the TV anyway.

I dont think you can easily get an accurate 2.4 gamma cal out of the 5090 - it was built when 2.2 gamma was considered the best - this is what a lot of newer TV daytime calibrations would be set at probably. Any higher than 2.2 is not going to be a noce image I dont think. I think to get get a lower cal it would be a case of running the setting very low.

Again I would use the Bumptious settings until I got my set calibrated - he really knows his stuff and would be who I would use to calibrate my tv if I didnt do it myself.

JUST TO ADD NOT TOUTING FOR BUSINESS - JUST SAYING WHAT I WOULD DO IF IT WAS MY TV TO TRY AND HELP YOU

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Glacialpath said:
ellisdj said:

Yeah I guess tha could be the case that TVs these days produce darker blacks than the Kuros. Theres no reason why not. I would like to think all the other TV manufacturers have finally caugt up with the Kuro range.

Its kind of a shame Plasma TVs have come to an end.

The other way around it cant read it because its darker than the metre will read - so it appears 0ire is deeper black on my 65VT65 than on my 5090.

The HD TV Test reviews put them at insignificantly the same black levels.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts