INTERCONNECTS

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i have recently changed my interconnects to Chord Chameleon Silver Plus and now think my system - Roksan Kandy CDP, Amp and Power Amp sounds too bright - i am going to swap my old ones back in at the weekend to test - what i am wondering is there any hard and fast rule that says you should use same interconnect for example from CDP to Amp and Amp to Power Amp or can you mix and match? could it be a case that if i just swap the one from the CDP to the Amp for one that sounds less bright that will solve the problem or would i need to swap both? I am sure i am going to be told try and see what my ears say but just wondered if anyone had experimented with this - i don't want this to turn in to an every cable sounds the same debate as i think some make a suttle change and some a dramtic one. I would be interested to hear what other use with the Roksan Kandy kit.

A

Anonymous

There is no hard and fast ruling on the same makes etc. Although I do have Atlas Equator 2 interconnect and speaker cable - works for me but trial and error I guess. Sorry not to be any more help.

I have had Van den Hul DB103 Mk II, Chord Anthem, Chord Chorus, Straight Thru, Canare LV 61, Cable Talk reference, Atlas and Monitor Audio, QED, Silver Anni, XT 400, Odyssey Bi-wire et al and honestly think Atlas has sounded the most transparent for reasonable cost.............

A

Anonymous

Perhaps your speaker cables are bright, especially now. ;-) Silver is however a probable culprit for brightness. Save your cash and get some Nordost Red Dawns. ;-)

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Let me know how you get on as I too suffer from an "enthusiastic" top end. I use Kimber 'Silver Streak' cables, They're great at soundstage, depth and clarity, but do rob it some bottom end. I used to have Van Den Hul's 'The Bay' cables, but these were the polar opposite of the Kimber, bassy & warm.

I'm trying to find a replacement that's somewhere inbetween (70% kimber, 30% Van Den Hul)

A

Anonymous

my system sound bright so i change interconnet btw cdp-amp from QED silver spiral to Siltech MXT London and the got a positive result, i admit there still a bright sound but i can hear a huge different. now plan to change speaker cable.....

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Big Chris"]
trying to find a replacement that's somewhere inbetween (70% kimber, 30% Van Den Hul)

[/quote]
why not try the blu peter approach with some scissors and sticky back tape

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
with a little bit of altering my speakers distance from the rear wall and the odd foam bung i have finally managed to create a sound stage that i feel is natural - ot at least that i enjoy with my ears - i would be keen to hear a passive cd player, amp, cables and speakers and an unaltered recording but i know this doesn't exist - so come to trust your ears as we are all different.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gregory"]van damme cables.[/quote]
I second that, I have 16m of the blue series going spare.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Surfer"]

Perhaps your speaker cables are bright, especially now. ;-) Silver is
however a probable culprit for brightness. Save your cash and get some Nordost
Red Dawns. ;-)

[/quote]

Every red dawns's owners I have spoken to said "they sound bright"!

Silver conductor doesn't make HiFi sound bright! (I don't mean a cheap silver coated stuff) in fact all the best HiFi rigs I heard got pure silver speakers cables or interconnects.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"][quote user="Surfer"]

Red Dawns. ;-)

[/quote]

Silver conductor doesn't make HiFi sound bright! (I don't mean a cheap silver coated stuff) in fact all the best HiFi rigs I heard got pure silver speakers cables or interconnects.[/quote]

Absolutely........in fact silver plated copper is a usual culprit for a bright sound. As for pure silver.........well if anyone has the money and/or inclination along with a high-end system, try upgrading to siltech cables and see for yourself.....

A

Anonymous

[quote user="matengawhat"]i have recently changed my interconnects to Chord Chameleon Silver Plus and now think my system - Roksan Kandy CDP, Amp and Power Amp sounds too bright[/quote]

I had the exact same issue with my Kandy and Chord "upgrade". I found Gotham for about a tenner excellent value and tones it down (which I use now) and I also like QED Quinex 3. I have tried about a dozen or so inters and in my opinion matching the system to the connections and expense are mutually exclusive.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="darkside82"][quote user="Big Chris"]
trying to find a replacement that's somewhere inbetween (70% kimber, 30% Van Den Hul)

[/quote]
why not try the blu peter approach with some scissors and sticky back tape[/quote]

Alas. I flogged my VDHs on eBay a few years back.......

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"][quote user="Surfer"]

Red Dawns. ;-)

[/quote]

Silver conductor doesn't make HiFi sound bright! (I don't mean a cheap silver coated stuff) in fact all the best HiFi rigs I heard got pure silver speakers cables or interconnects.[/quote]

Chord's new website does state that too re: silver in the FAQ............

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
There can be a misconception that silver can sound bright which tends to derive more from silver-plated copper than pure silver per se. Pure silver has have a very natural, open and transparent sound and will very rarely sound "bright" in a system. Silver-plated copper is completely different and there are circumstances where it can sound bright or overemphasise the top-end. From our own research and development a silver-plated copper can sound "bright" due to many variables including conductor purity, conductor process and plating process. Other critical factors such as cable geometry and dielectric material used can also affect the performance of silver-plated copper cables significantly.

It is a good idea to keep the same interconnects from CD player to integrated amp and from integrated amp to power amp as this will give better synergy (although many people choose to use a higher performance interconnect between the source and pre-amplifier / integrated amplifier). Mixing and matching different interconnects can still yield excellent results depending upon your system, musical preferences etc. I would intially try changing the first interconnect between CD player and integrated with a copper solution (look for high purity copper conductors with a dielectric such as foamed polyethylene rather than teflon) and you may find that a better balance is achieved with the Chameleon Silver Plus still in situ between the integrated and power.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Darren

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts