Interconnects and Speaker Cable Enquiry

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
System details are in my signature and not wanting to cause an argument at all but I have a question on the interconnects that have been included with my Pre/power Amp, CD and Phono Stage.

The interconnects between the Pre and Power Amp and Pre Amp and CD are Quenex (or Qunex)....not sure of they are an older QED interconnect. The interconnect betwen the pre amp and phono stage just say HQ on them. Speaker cable is QED Profile Silver 12.

I dont know anything about any of these cables and believe they are probably quite old......

I believe Roksan recommend using their own HCD-02A interconnect between power and pre amp but dont know whether there are any better cables out there at all that would be suitable for any of the connections. I do have a Chord ChrimsonPlus Interconnect but would I be better to using this between Phono stage and pre amp or CD and Pre amp?

Recommendations anyone?

A

Anonymous

By all means try other cables, you wont be able to hear a difference though...unless you expect to hear one, then you might. Any scientific, rather than subjective testing will show you the same results.

I use Qunex interconnects and QED speaker cable as it was sensible money. I would never spend more than £20-30 on an interconnect and £5-8/m on speaker cable.

As long as the interconnects are decently shielded (the qunex are) and well made then you wont hear a difference between them and any costing many times more. Similarly speaker cable, as long as its a reasonable sized conductor (at least 12swg) then again it wont make a difference.

Similarly, silver plated copper interconnects/speaker cable cannot and do not sound any 'brighter' than their just copper counterparts. (People will say skin effect and all sorts to you but its irrelevant at any audible frequency, skin effect doesnt occur until radio frequency ranges)

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
The Qunex is an old QED range and not a very good one at that unfortunately, i found this cable flat and uninspiring (sound wise) and it wasn't long before i moved on. I think the Roksan interconnect should be used with the partnering equipment, it has been designed for the purpose and shouldn't be overlooked; similar to Rega cables and there equipment, MOOC.

TRENDING THREADS