Interconnect for Preamp to Power Amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone, my first post! Could someone let me know if a standard stereo interconnect (a Cambridge Audio Pacific) is suitable for connecting a Preamp to a Power Amp? I've only ever owned integrated amps so am not too clued up on this kind of kit.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Thanks - but it will work? It requires a stereo phono-phono cable? The reason I ask is that I'm selling said Interconnect on eBay and someone has asked me if it's suitable for Preamp/Poweramp connection!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]Interconnect for Preamp to Power Amp is more important than fro CD player to the pre....imo.[/quote]

Do you think the connection between Pre & Power amp is more important than DAC to amp? I only ask because I have my classiest (ie) most expensive interconnect between my DAC and my amp and not between amps. What's the logic here?

"Best" interconnect between most expensive components or should it be a case of the "best"/most expensive interconnect trying to enhance the link between the two least expensive/weakest elements of one's system?

My thoughts, like the cables behind my set-up, are in a bit of a tangled mess on this. Anyone straighten me out, as it were?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]What cables are you using? and from where to where?[/quote]

From Chord 64 DAC to amp: Chord signature. Amps: (Arcam A85 to P90) VDH The Second. DAC to CD player: Chord Signature Digital. Elsewhere: Merlin Verdi

A

Anonymous

Charlie, the best way to find out is by trial and error, by trusting your ears. And if you can't tell the difference, then don't worry about it. I used to have the arcam a85 & p80. I find the arcam soundstage is wide but is not great at separating out the sounds in height (if that makes any sense) and that will influence which cables will seem to work best. Btw i assume you are biamping and using the P90 for the low frequency? In which case the cable from A85 to P90 should be a cable that is good at bass, the treble won't matter.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"].Whta is the transport? (blu?)[/quote]

Alas, no. I've got the humbler, in comparitive terms, Arcam 92. A slightly lob-sided system, you might say. The DAC was a fantastic purchase 4 years ago. I've always wondered what it be capable of when hooked up with a Chord Blu or the barely remarked upon Chord One. (Never seen the latter, just heard about it. A piece of Chord "budget" kit?). I've trawled many sites in search of a decent price for a second hand Blu, but to no avail, as yet.

Thanks all for the interconnect advice. I'm going to have a tinker with the various combinations this afternoon. If our sleeping baby allows it.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="peteAllen"]. I find the arcam soundstage is wide but is not great at separating out the sounds in height (if that makes any sens[/quote]

Yes, I think I do know what you mean. Language used to describe sound can be difficult to convey, but sometimes I feel the same way about the Arcam's soundstage. Not too much else to compare it with though. It's that constant abstract notion of comparing an absolute concept with a relative one. (i.e.) "The sound is widescreen. . ." or, "It's very bright and forward. ..". I understand the terms, but they don't always mean much until you can compare them with an alternative. And that, I guess, is where Andrew, Clare, Simon et al come in. Our ears in their hands!

[quote user="peteAllen"]Btw i assume you are biamping and using the P90 for the low frequency? In which case the cable from A85 to P90 should be a cable that is good at bass, the treble won't matter.[/quote]

Yes I am, and thanks.

Out of interest, what did you move onto after the Arcam kit?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Charlie Jefferson"]A slightly lob-sided system, you might say.[/quote]

It seem to me as you said! The blu and 64 preform a formidable sound if a bit too clinical for my taste. I heard the combo with Conrad Johnson (can't remember the model) Preamp and Krell FCB 400 power amp with a pair of cremona....sublime.

nads

[quote user="Charlie Jefferson"]

[quote user="peteAllen"]Btw i assume you are biamping and using the P90 for the low frequency? In which case the cable from A85 to P90 should be a cable that is good at bass, the treble won't matter.[/quote]

Yes I am, and thanks.

Out of interest, what did you move onto after the Arcam kit?[/quote]

Please do not forget the cables for the pre out to main in on the integrated amp. More important than the pre to power amp IMHO. (of cause presuming that there is this option).

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="nads"]Please do not forget the cables for the pre out to main in on the integrated amp. More important than the pre to power amp IMHO. (of cause presuming that there is this option).[/quote]

Not quite sure what you mean here. I have my A85 & P90 connected via a VDH cable and that's it. Pre Out from one to In on the other. What other options are open to me? In all this, please remember I am a complete and utter technical dunce. I thought I was doing well to have all my speaker cables connected accordingly in their bi-wire/bi-amp configuration. This took me many hours of fumbling and cursing, and even then, I'm not sure if it's right. Also, please note it once took me a year to correctly connect my DAC to my amp. Shameful, I know. But that's what you get when you spend more time listening to music than with a screwdriver and a technical manual in hand. All advice, and ridicule, welcomed. Well, at least the former.

nads

[quote user="Charlie Jefferson"][quote user="nads"]Please do not forget the cables for the pre out to main in on the integrated amp. More important than the pre to power amp IMHO. (of cause presuming that there is this option).[/quote]

Not quite sure what you mean here. I have my A85 & P90 connected via a VDH cable and that's it. Pre Out from one to In on the other. What other options are open to me? In all this, please remember I am a complete and utter technical dunce. I thought I was doing well to have all my speaker cables connected accordingly in their bi-wire/bi-amp configuration. This took me many hours of fumbling and cursing, and even then, I'm not sure if it's right. Also, please note it once took me a year to correctly connect my DAC to my amp. Shameful, I know. But that's what you get when you spend more time listening to music than with a screwdriver and a technical manual in hand. All advice, and ridicule, welcomed. Well, at least the former.[/quote]

I just have had a look at the Manual. please forget what i said as you do not have the facility.

A

Anonymous

Charlie, I switched to an ex-dem Primare A30.1 for £700, which was actually a lot cheaper than the combination of Arcams. I noticed huge improvements in separation of instruments, and a lot more dynamic and energetic. It did lose a bit of the wideness of soundstage, seeming to come more from the speakers, but on the other hand it also had more height and depth. Another plus was that i could then use xlr between my cd player and the amp, which improved the sound further, as well as adding gain.

A

Anonymous

Most definitely recommend the 805s. I'd auditioned B&Ws many times before but didn't like their balance, too laidback esp in midrange. 805s are well balanced, sensitive and fast. They also don't get embarrassed with more expensive electronics behind them. If you have arcams and b&w then I'm guessing you probably have a more refined, smooth, laid back system than average, so it depends if you want to keep that or not. I'll probably go for the Proac D28s next, but i'm very happy with the 805s for now.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="peteAllen"] I'll probably go for the Proac D28s next[/quote]

Obviously you would demo them first, for a long time. Classical music fan's heaven but had bangers's hell :)

A

Anonymous

I'm not so sure actually. I had the Proac D15s before, and largely i was happy, but the treble wasn't good enough, and there was this slight gap in the upper bass. The timing was okay, but the B&Ws are much better at that. Judging from reviews of the D25/28, their timing is much better, the balance better, and they go deeper. Other ideas are Wilson Benesch Curve (second hand prices are good), altho i'm a little worried that it may be a bit bright, or the Living Voice OBX-R2, but I'm not sure it's good looking enough. Also thinking of the Focal Utopia Be Mini or whatever that standmount is called. Anyway, I have some saving up to do first...!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="peteAllen"]Other ideas are Wilson Benesch Curve (second hand prices are good), altho i'm a
little worried that it may be a bit bright, or the Living Voice OBX-R2[/quote]

A few guys I know who was using Curve is now using AMPHION XENON (cool dude icon here)...similar sonicly but my Amphion has a lot more bass and a touch warmer.

and there is a pair of Avatar for sale on ebay for £2700 bin :)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]A few guys I know who was using Curve is now using AMPHION XENON (cool dude icon here)...similar sonicly but my Amphion has a lot more bass and a touch warmer.[/quote]
Interesting, i'll have to read more about your speaker then :) Is it sensitive enough for the 50W Masterclass?

A

Anonymous

Sorry for the off topic.

PeteAllen, I recognise that avatar from somewhere, do you use the VFR club forum?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="IanS1"]Sorry for the off topic.

PeteAllen, I recognise that avatar from somewhere, do you use the VFR club forum?[/quote]

I think it is his photograph from the last Christmas party :)

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="peteAllen"][quote user="Thaiman"]A few guys I know who was using Curve is now using AMPHION XENON (cool dude icon here)...similar sonicly but my Amphion has a lot more bass and a touch warmer.[/quote]
Interesting, i'll have to read more about your speaker then :) Is it sensitive enough for the 50W Masterclass?[/quote]

http://www.onhifi.com/product/amphion_xenon.htm

TRENDING THREADS