Interconnect direction?

stowee

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi all. one for elecronic guys out there, ok am I right in thinking that when an interconnect has a direction marking this is due to which end the drain wire is connected? I have just bought some Roksan ic's (hdc-02a) one from aduio affair and one from ebay which where made up by his local shop, both sets have drain wires attached, however, both sets are connected at different ends i.e direction relative to drain attachment. Ive seen a few posts on which end drain should wire be connected, pre amp to amp and cd to pre and so forth, however Im still no clearer as there is talk of star grounding from pre amp and so on, hope someone can point me in the right dirrection(ha) as to which direction lead should run from both cd to pre and pre to amp. cheers

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:Drain wires should be connected at the source (ie, the cd in a cd to pre, or a pre in a pre to amp)

Any particular reason?

Listening to: UFO - Mechanix

stowee

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
cheers alienrik, so am I right in my thinking that direction marks on interconnects are relative to position of drain wire connection? makes sense for drain to be connected at source. if this is the case I will reverse the lead so drain connected at source even tho direction pointing back to source (leads not made up by Roksan).

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Gusboll:
aliEnRIK:Drain wires should be connected at the source (ie, the cd in a cd to pre, or a pre in a pre to amp)

Any particular reason?

To filter EMI 'away' from the signal.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
stowee:Alienrik do you belive drain wire connection is related to signal direction markings?

Well it 'should' be

But im sure many manufacturers will get it wrong

A

Anonymous

When a cable is directional, whatever it is,an interconnect or be it a speaker wire,all it means is the cores will be in a clockwise motion from one end to the other really.

So from a cd player to an amp,the arrows would be pointing away from the cdplayer,and into the amp.Any cable that claims to be directional must have some sort of clockwise twist to it,to be truly directional.

I wouldnt say its anything to do with a drain wire myself but i may be wrong.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
reggaedave:
When a cable is directional, whatever it is,an interconnect or be it a speaker wire,all it means is the cores will be in a clockwise motion from one end to the other really.

So from a cd player to an amp,the arrows would be pointing away from the cdplayer,and into the amp.Any cable that claims to be directional must have some sort of clockwise twist to it,to be truly directional.

I wouldnt say its anything to do with a drain wire myself but i may be wrong.

Why would a clockwise twist have anything to do with it??

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, unless I have just landed on Mars and have misunderstood....

Provided the interconnect (such as between analogue CD out and pre-amp in) has matching plugs on both ends, why on earth would it matter which end is plugged in to which? Speaker wire, directional? Hilarious...

As if the little electrons know which way they are *supposed* to run. To suggest otherwise defies the laws of physics....

This is snake oil marketing for gullible people. Right up there with homeopathy.

Why are there still threads about this nonsense? This only makes audiophiles look like stupid individuals with more money than sense.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
eternaloptimist:

Provided the interconnect (such as between analogue CD out and pre-amp in) has matching plugs on both ends, why on earth would it matter which end is plugged in to which? Speaker wire, directional? Hilarious...

As if the little electrons know which way they are *supposed* to run. To suggest otherwise defies the laws of physics....

This is snake oil marketing for gullible people. Right up there with homeopathy.

Why are there still threads about this nonsense? This only makes audiophiles look like stupid individuals with more money than sense.

The fact that you specify that you use sturdy kettle leads in your signature shows your view - they were talking about interconnects not speaker wire.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
eternaloptimist:

The fact that you specify that you use sturdy kettle leads in your signature shows your view - they were talking about interconnects not speaker wire.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts