interconnect cables

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
System, Linn ikemi cd , Kairn pre amp , 2 LK140 power amps. Linn Keilidh passive speakers.

I have had my system for a few of years now and just used the interconnect cables from the box.

Now I would like to change the Interconnect cables which I find totally bewildering.

Some of the prices are really scary given I am going to have to get 3 pairs.

I have been thinking of Ecosse Nu Diva around £120. Chord around £160.

Finally a mate recommended I contact Ross Andrews who in turn recommended Kimber Timbre at a very reasonable £60.

What do I want ? a better sound stage if possible. It's not bad as it is just wondering if I can improve on it. On the above kind of budget ?

Any help welcome.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi don't know if this is of help,
I have an Ikemi. Kolektor, LK140 and LK85. Personally I think that the Linn Black interconnects are a lot better than people often give them credit for. I tried Merlin Chopins in my system, which provided a different sound to the Linn Cables but not necessarily better to a degree worth spending the money on them, they were leftovers from my old system so I didn't mind.

I bought some Atlas Voyager All-Cu which are now between the Pre and Power Amps, should be £170 each but if you shop around you can normally pick them up for £100-£120, not cheap I know, but I consider them well worth the cost, If you aren't sure try to get a nice long dem of some or only buy one for CD to Pre-amp and see if you like the improvement. I have a rather expensive Russ Andrews attenuated cable between CD and pre-amp , very nice sweet sound- the downside is I now keep wondering whether I should change the Voyager All-Cu cables for Russ Andrews as well for synergy .

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply Gwyrdy. I'm just wondering from what you have wrote whether I should buy a decent Russ Anderws cable between the cd and pre-amp. Leaving the black cables to the power amps and up-grade when I have more money. Do you think I would still notice a difference doing that for the moment ?

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I would certainly suggest it is worth a try Ian C. If I recall correctly Russ Andrews has a sixty day returns policy so you could always buy one for use between CD and pre-amp, say a Timbre then if you think that it was worth the money you could keep it and add another possibly slightly better cable for CD to Pre-amp duty later, buy a second timbre and use the two Timbres between pre and power amps.
If you didn't like it you could just send it back for a refund.
There's a 10% discount promotion running at the moment, but it ends today.
It's what I did with my set up originally , I had Merlin Chopins between sources and Pre, with Linn black cables between Pre and Power Amps, I then bought an Atlas Voyager All Cu for CD-Pre, moved the Chopins to Pre-Power and lent my freiend the Linn Cables, Now I have an attenuated Russ Andrews Silver Streak (I think, might be KCAG) as Cd-Pre and the Atlas All Cu are running Pre-Power duties, must say it sounds lovely

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts