Intelligent Clipping Detection

jmt

Sep 15, 2021
Visit site
Hi, i'm a newbie to this space. I recently upgraded my audio equipment. Hope this question is appropriate.

The cambridge audio CXA61 manual says that it supports an "intelligent clipping function". It says that it has "the ability to detect when the amplifier starts to clip or overdrive at its output" and "detects the clipping the volume will be automatically reduced until it detects an undistorted output".

I am interested in this because I have very limited space in my living room, and I don't want to install a parallel set of equipment just for karaoke (family style, no drinking, no extremely loud music etc). I have been repeatedly told by my HiFi distributor and by CambridgeAudio that they don't recommend using it for karaoke. Cambridge Audio even (predictably) tells me that they don't even recommend using the amplifer when I suggest I can connect an old, cheaper set of speakers (that I don't mind damaging) to B speaker output for karaoke use.

I have a hardware based karaoke box that uses a DSP to mix the music and mic input and output as analog out.

It is natural that sellers of equipment are going to be conservative about it. Does anyone have any comment on this or even better - experience with this? I hope there are no HiFi purists here that are going to flame me for using my equipment in this way haha.

Thanks!!!

D

Deleted member 108165

Basically Hi-Fi and Karaoke are never used in the same sentence, they are poles apart. It's your kit so use it as you please. Bear in mind that clipping can not only damage speakers it can also damage the amp, rendering any guarantee invalid.

shadders

Hi,
You have indicated that it is a family karaoke event, so will not be loud. If the karaoke machine is solely using an input to the amplifier, and you do not have it loud to induce clipping, then i cannot see how it will be a problem.

But, if the intelligent clipping uses a harmonic analysis mechanism, then it may reduce the volume when detecting distortion - and karaoke machines may produce significant distortion.

Speakers being old is not a reason to not connect them, as they may be perfectly ok, although depends on what capacitors they use in the crossover. If you mentioned that you don't mind damaging the speakers to Cambridge Audio, then this may have indicated that you will be misusing the amplifier for karaoke.

Without anyone providing a reason for not using karaoke, or old speakers, then i can see no issue if the volume is not high.

Regards,
Shadders.

Last edited:

Gray

I have a hardware based karaoke box that uses a DSP to mix the music and mic input
...then it might be capable of detecting and killing feedback.
Because if you've ever heard feedback from your mics, you'll know that's the last thing you'd want to put through decent speakers (it could well be the last thing that goes through them).

As someone who once let young kids loose with a mic and echo machine, I'd advise connecting dispensable speakers for Karaoke sessions (or make them all wear headphones (y)).

TRENDING THREADS