Integration of Sound Bar into 5.1

Jono2000

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site
Hi, my home cinema is several years old now.... and I'm at a point where I'm ready to go 4k, which my Denon avr3808 doesn't know about.....

I'm a 50-50 play music watch the tv sort of guy..... i like the musica ability of the latest mid range Denons, but how does a soundbar integrate into the system?
If I install rear speakers is a sound bar redundant? Also I have an all B&W CM6, little M1's I think, and the big round beach ball subwoofer all from around a decade ago.....
How much of that existing setup would be replaced by the sound bar? maybe only the M1 speaker I guess?
The Sonos ARC just scored 5stars and would be my first choice. But how much of my existing 5.1 can it replace, or should I look to integrate it with what I've got now?

Its a head scratcher.... The apartment isn't exactly huge so there is that to consider as well. The tv will be 4k 55 or 65 inch max wall mounted, with the soundbar mounted underneath.

If you want to run the soundbar off a Denon amp, you need a passive soundbar. It will replace your left, right and centre channels. You can add rear speakers for 5.1 or 7.1 system.

Check the Monitor Audio ones out. Monitor Audio pairs beautifully with the Denon.

Jono2000

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site
Thanks. its getting a bit clearer ....

One of my drivers is to reduce the number of speakers and boxes and cables cluttering the lounge..... but then i keep remembering we have some great parties and I do like a lot of music in the house.

The big problem as i see it is that centre speakers are often ugly as sin. I wanted to resolve that by wall mounting a decent looking soundbar and maybe removing the chunky floorstanding B&W cm6 left and right speakers.

But just how good are soundbars, can they actually replace floorstanding B&W speakers when they're called on to play music?

Can highly rated soundbar and subwoofer replace b&w cm6, and three other B&w M1's?

Or will my parties now have rubbish sound?

Its not easy to say whether home cinema or music is the priority in this case.

I've got a 7.1.4 system in my lounge consisting of 11 Monitor Audio speakers (in-wall and in-ceiling), Ken Kreissel subwoofer and a Denon 11-channel AVR. My family room has a Sonos PlayBar which is used as TV speakers as well as multiroom music. Sound from the PlayBar isn't rubbish by any means. It's very enjoyable, especially for music.

If you go the Sonos way, you can add a couple of rear speakers (Play One SLs or even Play Fives) to the Sonos Arc for a surround sound setup. Add in the Sonos subwoofer and you will get an excellent system that will be hugely enjoyable even for music in parties along with movies.

Will it sound better than the B&W system? I don't know the answer to that but it sure will be a very decent sounding system in its own right.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts