Integrated tube amp fans

Stevie9

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
So what's the low down on using one of these?
I've never given them any thought because of several reasons. I thought they ran very hot so you can dry your socks on them. I assumed they were delicate. I also thought (heaven knows why) that the components were more liable to blow (like light bulbs) .. Not many inputs. Too high to fit into a standard hifi shelf. Expensive, like £900 plus. I'm an old tech kinda guy, I like exposed electronics, I do like twiddly knobs.
So are integrated tube amps only for aficionados with deep pockets or are they worth a look in?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MYTHS

- All Valve amps sound syrupy and undynamic
- They are a ***** to own

DISADVANTAGES

- They Run Hot
- They use a bit more power
- Valves do need replaced...Power Amp ones more often than Pre. They can be expensive, but not necessarily so.
- They stand or fall by their power supply...which is why good ones cost a bit.
- Speaker matching is more important, as they don't like plummeting Impedance.
- Bass is often not as tightly controlled as a Solid State amp
- They are often more suited to certain types of music.

ADVANTAGES

- If you play to their strengths, they simply make music sound wonderful...so wonderful, that all the disadvantages melt away.
- You can tailor the sound with Tube Rolling.
- They have different sound signatures, just like SS amps
- They sound incredibly dynamic, provided you get one with a decent power supply.

It is my firm opinion, that if everyone had a Valve Amp on their list of demo amps, a lot of people would choose one. If you like how they sound, nothing else comes close.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Bear in mind that they are very (very) different sounding to what you own, which is on the very clean, forward and slightly analytical end of the spectrum.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
They sound incredibly dynamic, provided you get one with a decent powersupply.

​Definitely... there is a sense of loudness and body to the sound even with low power rated valve amps. Mine is only 12W and I don't feel the need to go over 1/3 volume with 89 dB sensitivity speakers. Even with 87dB it sounds just fine.

Different valves wil give you different sound signatures. I've listened to KT88 and EL34 and the former sound closer to solid state, but not massively so. Both have great mid-range and treble.

I think one of the advantages of a valve amp, is that a good, well built example will probably last you a lifetime and be reasonably easy to repair or service.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
PATHOS LOGOS. Oooooh yeah.would love to hear one of those and one day........would like to own one.

The Logos is a hybrid valve / solid state amp. Still a great combination by all accounts. I quite fancy the Classic Remix.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
tino said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
PATHOS LOGOS.   Oooooh yeah.would love to hear one of those and one day........would like to own one.

The Logos is a hybrid valve / solid state amp. Still a great combination by all accounts. I quite fancy the Classic Remix.
It's quite a hard trick to pull off....and Pathos are one of the best of the breed. Done right, it combines the strengths of both Valves and Solid State. It's a great compromise.

goodman

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Considering the good sound quality of these amplifiers, I would ask if it is worth buying tube amplifiers from China because they are at a good price. They can be found for less than 500 - 600 pounds or US $.

The brand Yaqin and Music Angel make this kind of cheap devices but perhaps breakable in the future or with noise problems by cause of a faulty contact in the circuit or conexion.

CnoEvil said:
MYTHS

- All Valve amps sound syrupy and undynamic - They are a ***** to own

DISADVANTAGES

- They Run Hot - They use a bit more power - Valves do need replaced...Power Amp ones more often than Pre. They can be expensive, but not necessarily so. - They stand or fall by their power supply...which is why good ones cost a bit. - Speaker matching is more important, as they don't like plummeting Impedance. - Bass is often not as tightly controlled as a Solid State amp - They are often more suited to certain types of music.

ADVANTAGES

- If you play to their strengths, they simply make music sound wonderful...so wonderful, that all the disadvantages melt away. - You can tailor the sound with Tube Rolling. - They have different sound signatures, just like SS amps - They sound incredibly dynamic, provided you get one with a decent power supply.

It is my firm opinion, that if everyone had a Valve Amp on their list of demo amps, a lot of people would choose one. If you like how they sound, nothing else comes close.

Ditto. Look about and you will find some that require little in the way of maintenance.

goodman said:
Considering the good sound quality of these amplifiers, I would ask if it is worth buying tube amplifiers from China because they are at a good price. They can be found for less than 500 - 600 pounds or US $.

The brand Yaqin and Music Angel make this kind of cheap devices but perhaps breakable in the future or with noise problems by cause of a faulty contact in the circuit or conexion.

Believe me you cannot do a decent valve amp on the cheap. Chinese ones, well certain ones, are well designed and are cheaper because of their labour costs. If you can buy through a dealer all well and good otherwise you are hamstrung by warranties and the like.

I wouldn't consider a valve amp. Nothing to do with SQ but I don't have the room size/rack to keep it cool. It's all very confined due to spousal requirements.

I think for anyone unsure about whether they would gravitate to the presentation of a valve/tube amp, the safest route would be to look at hybrid amps. Apart from Logos, Croft would another one to audition.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Excellent post #3 from CnoEvil.

I agree with everything's he's said.

If I had the OP's system, my personal preference would be to change the speakers before changing the amp.

Valve amps can be good. Solid state amps can be good. It's horses for courses.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
MYTHS

- All Valve amps sound syrupy and undynamic - They are a ***** to own

DISADVANTAGES

- They Run Hot - They use a bit more power - Valves do need replaced...Power Amp ones more often than Pre. They can be expensive, but not necessarily so. - They stand or fall by their power supply...which is why good ones cost a bit. - Speaker matching is more important, as they don't like plummeting Impedance. - Bass is often not as tightly controlled as a Solid State amp - They are often more suited to certain types of music.

ADVANTAGES

- If you play to their strengths, they simply make music sound wonderful...so wonderful, that all the disadvantages melt away. - You can tailor the sound with Tube Rolling. - They have different sound signatures, just like SS amps - They sound incredibly dynamic, provided you get one with a decent power supply.

Very well put Cno.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
tino said:
CnoEvil said:
They sound incredibly dynamic, provided you get one with a decent powersupply.

​Definitely... there is a sense of loudness and body to the sound even with low power rated valve amps. Mine is only 12W and I don't feel the need to go over 1/3 volume with 89 dB sensitivity speakers. Even with 87dB it sounds just fine.

Different valves wil give you different sound signatures. I've listened to KT88 and EL34 and the former sound closer to solid state, but not massively so. Both have great mid-range and treble.

I think one of the advantages of a valve amp, is that a good, well built example will probably last you a lifetime and be reasonably easy to repair or service.

I've found that PreAmp tubes give more of a sound signature than Power Valves although they do have some effect.

My preference is for the big 845s. Powerful, dynamic, rich and lush. Sublime with voices and classical.

Rimse

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
classical,voices,pink floyd or some similar acoustic music sounds wonderfull ,preamp mixed with solid state amp gives the same nice sounds through headphones.The weakness of my hybrid valve and d class amp, I can't turn on water heater in the house during listening ,it starts hum into speaker and with some sort of music bass sometimes is booming with some pop music sounds too edgy and thin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts