Integrated amps with good phono stage. Any out there?

jacobmorrison

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm looking to upgrade my amp but do a lot of vinyl listening so I'm on the hunt for an integrated with a really good phono stage. I know that the Marantz pearl lite has a well regarded phono stage. I'd also be pretty confident about the plug-in phono board for the Creek Evo 2, but that's about it. I've heard nothing about the quality of the phono stage on the Roksan Kandy K2, or any of the others on amps between £500 and £1000, the budget I've set for this. It never seems to be talked about on reviews and the quality can be wildly variable. Can anyone recommend an amp which is going to give me a good quality phono stage, or am I really better off spending less on the amp and getting a separate phono stage which will be an upgrade from my current Cambridge Audio 640P?

John Duncan

In the price range you're talking about, I'd rather keep the Cambridge tbh. However, if you must have an onboard one, I'd be looking at - as you say - Creek, Marantz, Arcam and maybe something like the Rotel RA-1062?

EDIT - sorry, as jerry points out, Rega too.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Rega Brio-R has a fantastic phono stage and less than £500. Better than Rega's Fono stage IMHO. Not sure how the power output compares to what you have but it drives some very difficult speakers amazingly well and sounds great.

A

Anonymous

Yamaha as1000 amp.

High quality moving coil/magnet phono stage 800 to 900 pounds.

High quality built amplifier.

See whf review. :)

Crocodile said:
plastic penguin said:
Crocodile said:
plastic penguin said:
Arcam has a superb phono stage...
Wot - no Pulse!? :O

Outside the OP's budget, I believe. :?
Ah, didn't realise the original (clearance) version was now all gone.

Had to happen at some point. No doubt they'll be others available, but are few and far between.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
One of the finest out there is the remote Croft Valve Phono stage, its in a big box, (16 inches wide) not pretiey, but £ for £ value for money, its the bess knees, MM only though.

CJSF

If you were ever to comptemplate moving up to a moving coil cartridge then the Yamaha AS-1000 is definately a good amp to go for.
If you stick with moving magnet I would say Rega Brio-R.
Failing that go for the best external phono box you can afford...I would recommend the brilliant Tom Evans Microgroove Plus.

jacobmorrison

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's replies. Much appreciated. I think the Marantz appears to be a good bet, there are some cheap examples on the auction sites at the moment. Also I'm looking for an amp with a poweramp-direct AV input and the Rega amps removed this feature, which was a shame.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts