Integrated Amp for KEF Q300

soox

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys,

After some advice, I picked up the KEF Q300 on sale today ($400 in white - check it out if anyone is interested. Q100 on sale also).

Am doing homework on what amp is appropriate, but I don't understand the technicals yet and know new deals/amps keep coming out.. so wanted to tap into your knowledge! Any suggestions?

Of course, looking for the least expensive amp that gets the most out of the speakers.

Thanks!

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm using a Cyrus amp with the bigger Q700s and love them together. If you're happy to go donw the 2nd hand route (you didn't state your budget), they could be a good option.

soox

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Thanks guys, I am inferring from your posts that amp quality varies by speaker combo so it's important to pick the right amp specifically for the Q300.

As another criterion, did you guys find any quality issues with casting over bluetooth, airplay, google cast or an external chromecast? I will be playing 320kbps spotify off laptop.

Didn't state a budget yet as I'm trying to get a sense of the price range of amps that, per above, specifically fit the Q300. Seeing if I can try out combos in a store.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
soox said:
Thanks guys, I am inferring from your posts that amp quality varies by speaker combo so it's important to pick the right amp specifically for the Q300.

As another criterion, did you guys find any quality issues with casting over bluetooth, airplay, google cast or an external chromecast? I will be playing 320kbps spotify off laptop.

Didn't state a budget yet as I'm trying to get a sense of the price range of amps that, per above, specifically fit the Q300. Seeing if I can try out combos in a store.

All depends on your taste really, only you know what sound you like which is why auditioning is essential. I got to my current set ups by trial and error but most importantly by listening. As far as Spotify goes I find even their premium service sounds muddy and muffled when compared to cd's/vinyl/Tidal.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I have Spotify Premium which I stream via Chromecast Audio straight into the back of my amp. It is not as good as a CD from my Rega Apollo CDP, but its fine for general listening and discovering music. Considering the CCA is only around £25 it is a bit of a no brainer if you don't have some other form of streamer.

soox

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Thanks! Sounds like this is trickier than I thought. Am still searching for a store that has the q300s with different amps hooked up so I can explore.

What other amps have you guys tried with the q300s, any pros/cons?

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I stream to chromecast audio via Arcam solo music. I use Quboz which is 320 MP3. I find the sound to be outstanding. Very little difference to CD. The chromecast sounds better than Bluetooth, although I don't have aptx on my iPad, as apple doesn't support it.

soox

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys,
Someone in the store recommended the Yamaha rx-v481bl for $400 and it seems to get good reviews online.

5.1 capability, apparently 140w per speaker output (read that the kef q300 take 120wmax), wireless casting and 4k pass through.

I tried to educate myself online but am still not up to par, so I have some basic questions.

This is a receiver, but is it also an amp?
Am I thinking about the wattage correctly?
Can I biwire with it?
Would the kef q300 benefit from upgrading to the 581bl model at $500?

What else am i missing?

Thanks a ton.

torikoos

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
knaithrover said:
I had the Kef Q300's (also in white) and they sounded brilliant with my old Nad C320BEE, not so good with an Arcam A85 though...

Why not with the A85 (I assume the Arcam Diva A85) ? Just curious, I am about to audition it's bigger brother the R500 with that amp, just curious as to your findings/experiences. My mileage may differ of course. I realise these are from another range, but do have a basic familiar sound due to the uni-q drivers used.

McRibbons

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
I used to enjoy my KEF q300 speakers when I had them paired up with a Marantz PM5005 amp..... but since pairing them with a NAD C356bee amp I absolutely love them!!!

With the PM5005 I found the sound a little on the bright side and lacking in bass. Now I have a much warmer sounding set-up that seems to have more depth and separation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts