Integrated amp for Dynaudio EMIT 20

Alejandro-cph

Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

A bit new to the hi-fi world but very much interested in learning and experience. In this regard I've been blessed (or not, its all about taste) with a pair of used Dynaudio Emit 20 as a gift. Now I'm looking for an integrated amp to match these speakers. Being new to this world and with a budget of around €500 (usd600) isnt making it easy. The idea is to use streaming services from Apple products or cd music downloaded to my mac (pen drive)

After some research I have in my list these items and would very much appreciate any comments/suggestions.

Rotel A12 (a bit over budget)

Rotel RA11 (older version of the A12)

Cambridge CXA60

Thank you!

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Alejandro-cph said:
Hello,

A bit new to the hi-fi world but very much interested in learning and experience. In this regard I've been blessed (or not, its all about taste) with a pair of used Dynaudio Emit 20 as a gift. Now I'm looking for an integrated amp to match these speakers. Being new to this world and with a budget of around €500 (usd600) isnt making it easy. The idea is to use streaming services from Apple products or cd music downloaded to my mac (pen drive)

After some research I have in my list these items and would very much appreciate any comments/suggestions.

Rotel A12 (a bit over budget)

Rotel RA11 (older version of the A12)

Cambridge CXA60

Thank you!

Have you looked at an Onkyo TX8150 as a matter of interest, seems to get lots of love, and able to drive speakers as good as your. Welcome to the forum btw

Alejandro-cph

Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the tip and the link to the magazine.

By the way, I see you own the PM8005 so assume if you recommend it, it is because is a good piece. Any opinion on the cambridge?

gasolin

Alejandro-cph said:
Thanks for the tip and the link to the magazine.

By the way, I see you own the PM8005 so assume if you recommend it, it is because is a good piece. Any opinion on the cambridge?

Yes it is, i had it with the emit m10 and it had a warm sound with supra classic 6.0 speaker cable (was so impressed with the q acoustics 2010i i bought for half price for my tv i wanted the 3020 (not 3010 because of the bass) and they also for the money sound fantastic, a bit more clear,dry and neutral than emit 10 that has a more warm sound and more rich,full bodied bass)

Don't have any experience (only very little) with cambrigde, they do how ever have a tendency to have a slightly brighter sound like denon has, if you want something slightly bigger than the PM8005 it's something like the Cambridge CXA80 or the bigger Azure 851A, even more expensive than the CXA80 but im shure the emit 20 can handle the extra sound quality,power (2x200watt in 4 ohm), you might not want to play edm,techno on the emit 20 full blast with a cambridge azur 851a, they can handle alot of power but 2x200watt in 4 ohm is alot for medium sized bookshelf speakers,especially if it's edm,techno

Some might recommed the Nad C326BEE, more in your price range, i wouldn't recommend it, the amp just sounds to nice in the highs not especially clear and not enough oomph when you play something guitar based music like eric clapton or jimi hendrix

Not shure how big the difference between the emit 10 and 20 are, 100 clean watt pr channel shouldn't be any problem with the emit 20 and that's about minimum with the low sensitivity

Alejandro-cph

Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
Listening period. I took my Dynaudios to a hifi store and listened to them with the Cambridge CXA60 and I have to say they worked very very well. Next week I'll do so with Rotel A12. I did listen the speakers with a NAD one too (cant remember the model but similar power than Cambridge) but the sound, especially with rock, was better with the Cambridge.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I would go for an excellent Primare A30.1, currently on ebay ( second hand) for around £500 and add the unit form the link below to stream music from your devices

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet®-Wireless-Receiver-wireless-streaming/dp/B00O0U37HO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1479049662&sr=8-2&keywords=neet+airstream

gasolin

Alejandro-cph said:
Listening period. I took my Dynaudios to a hifi store and listened to them with the Cambridge CXA60 and I have to say they worked very very well. Next week I'll do so with Rotel A12. I did listen the speakers with a NAD one too (cant remember the model but similar power than Cambridge) but the sound, especially with rock, was better with the Cambridge.

Don't forget to see,hear if the amp has enough power to play loud, the speakers are not the most sensitive speakers

Katsu

Nov 11, 2016
Visit site
It was a bit of a surprise to read the sensitivity measurements in the test results linked above by Gasolin. The Emit 20 is meant to have sensitivity of 86 rather than the 83. I have the Emit 20 with Arcam A19 (50 watts) and an IRDac. I am no audiophile but I think it sounds great. At about 35 on the volume dial the sound is loud enough for me for most music (averages just under 60dB at about 3 metres from the speaker). Increasing to 40 or slightly more, especially for classical music, averages at about 65 dB. At these levels I dont notice any problems. Room size is 11 metres by 4 metres.

matthewpiano

I've tried quite a number of different amps with Dynaudio, and the best matches I've had were:

Pioneer A400

Creek 4330

Exposure 1010.

The Pioneer and Creek would be second hand buys and, if you can find a nice example, represent a bargain. The Exposure is around the £450 mark.

The amps that (in my experience) don't pair well with Dyns are:

Denon PMA720ae

Arcam A18

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts