Insomniacs club

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I thought I would start a thread for the innumerable folk, like myself, who SUFFER from insomnia.

After the 4th night of trying (again) to get a decent nights sleep & only ever acheiving intermittent 20min periods of fits & starts & becoming a bit cheesed off about it, I think I may have finally found a cure for this seriously disruptive life condition.

What I've found, after extensive research, is that performing a quick physical excercise ( e.g. pull ups ? ), enjoying a nice wee malt & listening to a half hour or so of appropriate sounds on my Sennheisers seems to slow my biorhythms enough as to the point where I can, sometimes, finally fall asleep. I'm running out of ideas for some appropriate late night listening choices so all suggestions welcome. This is a regular for me...

Brian Eno: "Ambient 1 Music For Airports" LP (1978)

FDDEDADB-CD6A-4863-A4BF-23A43CEBF69B_zps0ol9ojin.jpg

ColinLovesMusic

May 3, 2016
Visit site
I am hardly ever asleep before 4am. Start work at 11am finish 11pm. Brain wakes up at night. It means having to resort to headphones too much. I will check the Insomniacs thread every night to see what is happening.

K

keeper of the quays

NMANo1 said:
I thought I would start a thread for the innumerable folk, like myself, who SUFFER from insomnia. 

After the 4th night of trying (again) to get a decent nights sleep & only ever acheiving intermittent 20min periods of fits & starts & becoming a bit cheesed off about it, I think I may have finally found a cure for this seriously disruptive life condition.

What I've found, after extensive research, is that performing a quick physical excercise ( e.g. pull ups ? ), enjoying a nice wee malt & listening to a half hour or so of appropriate sounds on my Sennheisers seems to slow my biorhythms enough as to the point where I can, sometimes, finally fall asleep.                                                                                          I'm running out of ideas for some appropriate late night listening choices so all suggestions welcome.                                                                     This is a regular for me...

Brian Eno:  "Ambient 1 Music For Airports"   LP (1978)

I have recently given up tea and coffee..just have one cup of tea first thing and one cup of coffee bout mid morning. Apart from helping to get rid of indigestion I found I sleep much better! And whiter teeth too.. :)

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
ColinLovesMusic said:
I have the album well down the list on the webpage below called 'The Sacred Tree' on digital download. I love it and it sends me to sleep. I have never managed to get all the way through in one listen.

http://www.jon-richards.co.uk/music

Cheers for that.

I've been trying the iPad app 'Sleep Easily'. It's quite good to be honest. Lots of swooshing trippy sounds with incredibly slow spoken instructions by some blissed out hippy chick telling you to "cclllooooosssse yooouuurr eeyyyeessss & bbrrreeaattthhh".

Cocteau Twins "Heaven Or Las Vegas" (1990)

0538F6F2-08BE-40E5-86CE-3205FB68EB3A_zps0hc21kdv.jpg

K

keeper of the quays

NMANo1 said:
ColinLovesMusic said:
I have the album well down the list on the webpage below called 'The Sacred Tree' on digital download. I love it and it sends me to sleep. I have never managed to get all the way through in one listen.

http://www.jon-richards.co.uk/music

Cheers for that.

I've been trying the iPad app 'Sleep Easily'. It's quite good to be honest. Lots of swooshing trippy sounds with incredibly slow spoken instructions by some blissed out hippy chick telling you to "cclllooooosssse yooouuurr eeyyyeessss & bbrrreeaattthhh".

Cocteau Twins  "Heaven Or Las Vegas"  (1990)
it's only 11.05pm..isnt insomnia sort of 3.00am?

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
If you are having difficulty sleeping, do you have an alarm clock with a blue display next to your bed?

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21028111-400-blue-alert-the-dark-side-of-night-light/

jjbomber

expat_mike said:
If you are having difficulty sleeping, do you have an alarm clock with a blue display next to your bed?

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21028111-400-blue-alert-the-dark-side-of-night-light/

if someone is having difficulty sleeping, why would they need an alarm clock? They are already awake!

K

keeper of the quays

jjbomber said:
expat_mike said:

if someone is having difficulty sleeping, why would they need an alarm clock? They are already awake!
Very good point..made me laugh! Cool...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Waxy said:
Labradford - A Stable Reference

My go to album for nodding off. A musical herd of fence-jumping sheep.

I have a couple of Labradford albums. 'Mi Media Naranja' and 'E Luxo So', both pretty relaxing.

If I'm having trouble sleeping, I'll just put one of the 'Lord Of The Rings' films on, as there's no way I could get all the way through one of them without dropping off. *biggrin*

Suffered with this all my life.

After 30 odd years, I finally saw someone who could help.

one very small pill per night prescribed and I slept, every night, all night.

go to your gp. Get help. and start living life again.

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I have recently given up tea and coffee..just have one cup of tea first thing and one cup of coffee bout mid morning. Apart from helping to get rid of indigestion I found I sleep much better! And whiter teeth too.. :)

[/quote]

I refuse to give up my Java...From my dead hands etc etc. I may have to cut down though as i seem to be swallowing Rennies like sweets.

KeeperOTQ's : The blue light theory is very interesting but not relevant to my bedroom.

Bigfish: My natural instincts is to stay away from pills preferring a more traditional remedy e.g. a nice glass of malt whisky & a relaxing, chilled piece of music.

David Sylvian "Gone to Earth" (1986) Outstanding LP & vinyl sounds superb too.

E0684D85-9484-4A2F-9408-382DF6E45F44_zpshhufvgg6.jpg

K

keeper of the quays

NMANo1 said:

I refuse to give up my Java...From my dead hands etc etc. I may have to cut down though as i seem to be swallowing Rennies like sweets.

KeeperOTQ's : The blue light theory is very interesting but not relevant to my bedroom.

Bigfish: My natural instincts is to stay away from pills preferring a more traditional remedy  e.g. a nice glass of malt whisky  & a relaxing, chilled piece of music.

David Sylvian  "Gone to Earth"  (1986)   Outstanding LP & vinyl sounds superb too.

[/quote]swallowing rennies is bad news...you can get omeprazole or a variant over the counter..heres how to evade indigestion..one coffee a day in the morning..one cup of tea a day in the morning..go gluten free! Avoid citrus fruits and juice..drink rooibos tea..eat porridge every day without fail...avoid tomatoes...avoid chocolate and cut all sugar out of your life...stop drinking alcohol..dont smoke...then indigestion will be a memory..

Paul.

Does your phone have a night mode? I think the blue light theory has legs, my iPhone warms it's white balance at a pre set time and it seems to help. May be psychosomatic but who cares if it works :)

If you are an android user there is an app called twilight that does the same thing.

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Avoid citrus fruits and juice..drink rooibos tea..eat porridge every day without fail...avoid tomatoes...avoid chocolate and cut all sugar out of your life...stop drinking alcohol..dont smoke...then indigestion will be a memory..

[/quote]

Cheezuz! Thanks for that but I think I would rather be a insomniac, alcoholic smoker than have a diet like that. Life is for living - to an extent.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Paul. said:
Does your phone have a night mode? I think the blue light theory has legs, my iPhone warms it's white balance at a pre set time and it seems to help. May be psychosomatic but who cares if it works :)

If you are an android user there is an app called twilight that does the same thing.

Try f.lux - an app available for various OSs. (Mods: I have no connection with this app.)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
bigfish786 said:

I think most is in your mind, I used to suffer when I was younger, you have to switch your mind off when you go to bed. Going to bed early is the worst thing to do.

What is the pill, maybe its just a placebo?

BigH said:
bigfish786 said:

I think most is in your mind, I used to suffer when I was younger, you have to switch your mind off when you go to bed. Going to bed early is the worst thing to do.

What is the pill, maybe its just a placebo?

this is no placebo, it's an anti-psychotic. and to say it's all in my mind, well, yes. That's where mental problems usually occur! Chances are, there are many others out there that have no idea they could be helped, simply, by seeking treatment.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Paul. said:

The eye contains light receptors linked to the area of the brain responsible for the circadian clock. It has been shown that several factors like a blue light near your bed, bright streetlamps shining through your bedroom windows and curtains, or checking your smartphone or tablet just before going to bed, can help reset your circadian clock so that it thinks the time is during the brightest part of the day, and not dusk/night-time just before sleep. Bearing this in mind, and changing behaviour to avoid exposure to such light just before going to bed, could help a proportion of insomniacs to avoid the need to pop pills every night. Using the phone/tablet apps that modify the white balance is another option, as is only using red or green light on the bedside light - red is the best colour, blue is the worst.

May 29, 2016
Visit site
expat_mike said:
Paul. said:
Does your phone have a night mode?  I think the blue light theory has legs, my iPhone warms it's white balance at a pre set time and it seems to help.  May be psychosomatic but who cares if it works :)

The eye contains light receptors linked to the area of the brain responsible for the circadian clock. It has been shown that several factors like a blue light near your bed, bright streetlamps shining through your bedroom windows and curtains, or checking your smartphone or tablet just before going to bed, can help reset your circadian clock so that it thinks the time is during the brightest part of the day, and not dusk/night-time just before sleep. Bearing this in mind, and changing behaviour to avoid exposure to such light just before going to bed, could help a proportion of insomniacs to avoid the need to pop pills every night. Using the phone/tablet apps that modify the white balance is another option, as is only using red or green light on the bedside light - red is the best colour, blue is the worst.

if you have insomnia - stop imbibing caffeine - this should cure it

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Things that can help:

- Keep to your sleeping hours, even at the weekend....even a 1 hour lie-in is enough to break your sleep pattern.
- As daylight is the trigger for wakefulness, sleep during darkness/use blackout blinds.
- Avoid brain stimulation well before bedtime...includes gaming, exercise, working late, social media, exciting films, alcohol and coffee etc.
- Learn relaxation techniques.
- Exercising earlier in the day is a good thing.
- Eat well before going to bed.

May 29, 2016
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Things that can help:

- Keep to your sleeping hours, even at the weekend....even a 1 hour lie-in is enough to break your sleep pattern.
- As daylight is the trigger for wakefulness, sleep during darkness/use blackout blinds.
- Avoid brain stimulation well before bedtime...includes gaming, exercise, working late, social media, exciting films, alcohol and coffee etc.
- Learn relaxation techniques.
- Exercising earlier in the day is a good thing.
- Eat well before going to bed.
Am in accord - good advice - sex is effective too! - lol

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts