Input trim

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
On amps that have the feature does anyone know what exactly it does? Is it basically a volume adjustment to have all inputs at the same level or does it alter the input sensivity? I ask because increasing it seems to enhance detail at lower listening volumes in a way that simply increasing the volume doesn't seem to do. Could be a trick of the mind.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
It's to adjust for the input sensitivity of the amp. You are hearing more details because you turned it up louder. The input trimer is linear, unlike the logarhitmic pot used as a main volume control, so turning it up should feel more immediate, as you've noticed.

K

keeper of the quays

Vladimir said:
It's to adjust for the input sensitivity of the amp. You are hearing more details because you turned it up louder. The input trimer is linear, unlike the logarhitmic pot used as a main volume control, so turning it up should feel more immediate, as you've noticed.
if i fitted one if these retrospectively to my wind up 78 player do you think ill notice a improvement? I see its linear? My 78 player sits on a flat table.

abacus

ChrisIRL said:
I think I'd prefer linear adjustment, why not just have this anyway? Thanks.

The reason is because the ear follows a logarithmic law, not a linear law. (This is the reason why you need 10 times the power (10db) to double the volume, rather than just double the power)

Hope this helps

Bill

TrevC

ChrisIRL said:
On amps that have the feature does anyone know what exactly it does? Is it basically a volume adjustment to have all inputs at the same level or does it alter the input sensivity? I ask because increasing it seems to enhance detail at lower listening volumes in a way that simply increasing the volume doesn't seem to do. Could be a trick of the mind.

It's exactly the same thing as turning the violume up and down, the idea is to equalize the volume of different sources.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts