Individual tastes

Hifiver

Jan 2, 2022
Visit site
Hello. Newbie here.

Am I correct in saying that in our world of hi-fi, no two people have exactly the same taste in terms of sound they prefer or are looking for?

You could give a hundred people the same amount of money to spend on separates in a hi-fi dealer and find they buy a multidude of different components.

I have a set-up which a friend heard, which he said sounded different to his, saying he did prefer the sound of his gear, suggesting it is personal taste though.

I guess it is an individual taste, which is why we buy different cars, prefer different styles of music, clothes, food etc.

doifeellucky

It would be a very dull world indeed if we all liked the same food, fashion, colours, smells, textures, architecture, V8 engine sound, etc, etc. The human body is very complicated, and this is why I take exception to the more extreme end of the measurement brigade. There is no best for everyone. My ears and brain are different to everyone else’s.

Just enjoy the music.

Hifiver

Jan 2, 2022
Visit site
So two people could have different tastes in the sound they want/like listening to from a turntable? It does not mean one is better than the other.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
.......but sometimes a component is actually better than another.....not just different,try not to get confused but you will be....you will know.... when you have enough experience with different gear, what is a different type of sound to its just cheap crap.🤣

robdmarsh

Everything said above is very true but I'm sure many of us here have experienced that feeling when you say to yourself "I defy anyone to say that doesn't sound good!" when you've got a song/track where the recording and your system just come together to sound "right"!
Of course, ultimately that would fall down at the first hurdle because there are plenty who would say "What? You like this music?!"

It's very true, we all hear certain things. Very subjective. However, there could be many reasons for that: Some of it is down to pure interpretation, how we convey what we hear in written form. Then you need to factor in room acoustics: no two rooms are the same; health; style of preferred genres....

I just buy the music I like and worry not about what others think, that keeps me happy. Also, to hell with being a HiFi purist, make sure your kit delivers your music, in a way that pleases YOU.
Totally understand, I'm pretty much the same. I used to analyse every track. Now, I'll play whether it's a good recording or not. Just enjoy the music.

I wouldn't class myself as a purist per se, but the system has to sound right, otherwise I'll be constantly box swapping.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts