Inconsistent Review of 42PFL9632 - March and April

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Why is the review of the Philips 42PFL9632 get just 4 stars in the March review, and then 5 stars in the April summary?

Could someone tell me whether this is the TV for me? I certainly like all its features and the ambilight looks great, but if there's better, I'd rather buy it.

Why the difference in scores, What Hi Fi?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, bang goes Cofnchtr's theory that no-one reads the back of the mag!

It's apparently a simple honest mistake in the Buying Guide - the TV's still four stars.

We've taken away all of our Buying Guide Editor's Airfix kits until he promises to put it right.

A

Anonymous

So... What 42 should I buy?

If this *should* be a four star telly, what's the best 42" LCD? I've seen plenty of comments here on the various options.

Anyone have a firm idea, or want to come spend my cash with me?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Karis"]If this *should* be a four star telly[/quote]

No *should* about it - it is a four-star TV.

Top 42in buys at the mo are the Panasonic TH-42PX70 at £1000 or the Pioneer PDP-428XD for about twice as much, though both are available with some serious discounts given a spot of Googlage.

A

Anonymous

The Philips is indeed a four-star product. Our verdict from the review in the March issue reads:

'Another solid Ambilight TV from Philips, but the best competitors go a little further for similar cash.'

It's a good set, but price rivals offer more impressive blacks, and we found the Philips' backlighting to be a tad uneven.

FYI, we're reviewing the new Panasonic TH-42PX80 (£900) in our June issue - on sale 1st May.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys.

I'll check out those two you suggested.

But. Is it worth waiting? Is there going to be something fantastic around the corner that makes me cry when I've spent £1500 on a new LCD?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Karis"]But. Is it worth waiting? Is there going to be something fantastic around the corner that makes me cry when I've spent £1500 on a new LCD?[/quote]

Yes, probably. There always is.

A

Anonymous

OK. I'll just go away and cry...

Thanks for your excellent advice!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Karis"]OK. I'll just go away and cry...[/quote]

No need to cry - I was just making the point that the way both the technology and market are moving, any time you take the plunge and buy a set the chances are there'll be something newer and hopefully better on the way within six months or so.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It won't take six months - give it a couple of months and we'll have tested a lot of the new-season sets! It's just an odd transition point right now...

A

Anonymous

You gave me excellent advice on 42" TVs, but what about LCDs?

I review games for a living and play a LOT so I think an LCD is the way forward...

Advice?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]It won't take six months - give it a couple
of months and we'll have tested a lot of the new-season sets! It's just
an odd transition point right now...[/quote]

Agreed, but by the time they're established in the market, the rumours will soon be circulating about the 'next-gen' models. 1440p, anyone? Or maybe 2160p - was talking to someone in the know the other day who was already talking about products with 2160p scaling capability being not too far off.

You could wait forever for the definitive set to come along - you just have to make the jump at some point

A

Anonymous

OK. Tell me what 42 Inch LCD I should buy and I'll buy it.

Must have an emphasis on game playing - don't care about DVDs as I've got a glorious plasma for that :)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Karis"]
OK. Tell me what 42 Inch LCD I should buy and I'll buy it.

Must have an emphasis on game playing - don't care about DVDs as I've got a glorious plasma for that :)

[/quote]The problem your likely to have is in your choice of screen size for an LCD...

LCD's from what I have seen tend to go in multiples of 40" then 46" then 50" then 52".

Plasma's however tend to go 42" then 50" etc etc.

If you are dead set on a 42" LCD, it may be a case of drawing a shortlist based on who actually does a 42" LCD first.

I was in the same boat and opted for a 46" LCD (just for the record) ;-)

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
Well, bang goes Cofnchtr's theory that no-one reads the back of the mag!

It's apparently a simple honest mistake in the Buying Guide - the TV's still four stars.

We've taken away all of our Buying Guide Editor's Airfix kits until he promises to put it right.
[/quote]
Hi,

If you actually read my reply properly, I didn't say nobody reads the back of the mag. I said - if issues to subscribers were available without the buyers guide EVERY month then it may be worth subscribing and it could be an option to include it every 3 months for those who subscribe. I also said I appreciate it's value to those who don't regularly buy the magazine or keep their toes dipped in the water.

I just don't see the point in having a buyers guide included every month if I was a subscriber. I already know what's going to be added the following month coz I have the current and previous edition. The reviews of new products will then appear in the next buyers guide with associated changes to products already listed (if necessary).

I then described in detail why I don't subscribe to magazines (not just this one) as my previous experience was not a good one yet you still asked me what you had to do to get me to subscribe. I already explained - I won't subscribe. Accept it and move on. Not everyone will subscribe despite the offers made to encourage it.

I then pointed out that all the above was only my opinion and not a pop at anyone who works at the magazine but the toys seem to have been thrown out of the pram.

If you are going to try and ridicule someone is it not better to check facts are correct as it may not be them who then looks ridiculous?

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="nate247"]
The problem your likely to have is in your choice of screen size for an LCD...

LCD's from what I have seen tend to go in multiples of 40" then 46" then 50" then 52".

Plasma's however tend to go 42" then 50" etc etc.

If you are dead set on a 42" LCD, it may be a case of drawing a shortlist based on who actually does a 42" LCD first.

I was in the same boat and opted for a 46" LCD (just for the record) ;-)[/quote]

Howdy. Happy with anything around the 40 mark. Will go as large as 47 if that's what it takes to get the BEST TV.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Cofnchtr"]If you are going to try and ridicule someone is it not better to check facts are correct as it may not be them who then looks ridiculous?[/quote]

Oh for heaven's sakes lighten up! No-one is ridiculing you, it was just a flippant remark.

But yes, we could produce a special magazine for subscribers with no Buying Guide and no ads at the back.

Let's see - stop the presses and do a special print run, take away the contribution made to revenue by the ads,sort the subscription copies into those that do want the ads and those that don't - hmmm, we could probably do it for, say £10-15 an issue. Mind you that's just a ballpark figure.

Let's call it a nice round £150 for 13 issues a year.

By the way, I am not being serious, and this doesn't constitute a promise or even an invitation to deal.

Sheesh, you have to be careful what you say around here these days...

emotion-11.gif

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Flippant - adjective: frivolously disrespectful.

The new Editor is asking for ideas - is there the need for you to be so negative and flippant? You could have said that it was an unworkable idea due to the cost but you set a tone referring to Gregorian chants, sanitation, medicine etc.

I put forward an idea that the buyers guide was not included every month not removal of the ads. You wouldn't need a special print run if you insert both as supplements. I know that without the ads the cover price would rise, but again you have mentioned removing this part of the magazine as if I had suggested it.

I have done nothing wrong other than voice my opinion which was clearly stated as such and is exactly why this forum is here. I emphasised that it was not an attack on any person or the mag but I must have upset you to get the reaction you gave which I feel is unwarranted.

You accused my of saying something I did not and I was merely correcting you.

I have SKY and they send a magazine with a 'kids' supplement which I can choose to receive or not. If it's not too difficult for them...

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts