In-line attenuation - necessary?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 108165

10dB, based upon Rothwell's site etc. Hopefully they'll arrive on Monday, so will let you know how much that is in vol knob rotation.
Should give you approx 2 extra hours. Hope this makes sense... it does to me.

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
My -15dB ones arrived today and they are impressively transparent from an initial listen.

I will say that if you’ve got gain issues to the same extent as mine then you might be better going for the -20dB versions - they have indeed solved my problem with the volume (very fidgety and channel imbalance at very low levels) but where a comfortable listening level was around 0.5 out of 10 before, it’s now around 1.

I’m not sure if I’m imagining it or if it’s just taken some ever so slight nasties out of the treble perhaps from the amp not liking the input level previously but will have a proper listen later.

Nice bonus... they match the plugs on a set of Atlas Elektra interconnects almost perfectly :D

D

Deleted member 188516

My -15dB ones arrived today and they are impressively transparent from an initial listen.

I will say that if you’ve got gain issues to the same extent as mine then you might be better going for the -20dB versions - they have indeed solved my problem with the volume (very fidgety and channel imbalance at very low levels) but where a comfortable listening level was around 0.5 out of 10 before, it’s now around 1.

I’m not sure if I’m imagining it or if it’s just taken some ever so slight nasties out of the treble perhaps from the amp not liking the input level previously but will have a proper listen later.

Nice bonus... they match the plugs on a set of Atlas Elektra interconnects almost perfectly :D

nice review !

seems like a tweak thats worthwhile then.

Rothwell suggest that used between pre-and power amps, I should remove signal to noise, but I'm really not sure how I'd notice that - I hear no 'noise'.

Volume control starts at half six, background listening allowing easy conversation is less than 730, normal vol between 9 and 1030 and Nirvana at rib cage rattling level is about 1p.m.. Dial goes around to 6-ish.

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
nice review !

seems like a tweak thats worthwhile then.

Without a doubt - at the price it’d be worth getting a set just for fine tuning but if you’ve got specific issues they’re an absolute no brainer.

Rothwell suggest that used between pre-and power amps, I should remove signal to noise, but I'm really not sure how I'd notice that - I hear no 'noise'.

Volume control starts at half six, background listening allowing easy conversation is less than 730, normal vol between 9 and 1030 and Nirvana at rib cage rattling level is about 1p.m.. Dial goes around to 6-ish.

Suspect that would be one of those things that’s measurable but not really a factor when listening. How much of a difference did the -10dB set make to the control on it?

About and hour to an hour and a quarter, using the clock analogy. Haven't had it on for very quiet background listening (when the slightly too loud or slightly too quiet was most noticeable, but it seems to have helped on that front - will see whether it's a cure proper later on.

Other than that I hear no differences as yet - and I guess I was listening for detriment rather than gain first off.

D

Deleted member 160668

About and hour to an hour and a quarter, using the clock analogy. Haven't had it on for very quiet background listening (when the slightly too loud or slightly too quiet was most noticeable, but it seems to have helped on that front - will see whether it's a cure proper later on.

Other than that I hear no differences as yet - and I guess I was listening for detriment rather than gain first off.
Bumping this old thread. @ 12th monkey.

I've been playing with the Sugden A21 Sig I've bought, but normal volume is about 730 and pretty loud is about 900, if that makes sense. I saw your amazon review after I'd already bought some rothwells. I went for the 10db's which I picked up on a request on a forum. But reading your comment above about an hour and half on the dial of extra adjustment I'm wondering if I should have got 20db ones. Any thoughts?
Guess I'll have to see when they arrive.

The Sugden seems super loud super quick on the dial. Only 23W, but class A, wouldn't like to get to 12 midnight as think my ears might fall off!!

gasolin

Hi folks,

Currently I’m using the combination of a Marantz CD63KI with a Pioneer A400, granted both far from stock but a lovely sounding setup.

The only issue, which is surprising given the popularity of this combination, is the volume control. The control on the amp goes up to 10, and the system is too loud to comfortably listen to before you get to 1.

I just wondered if there could be anything I’m possibly doing wrong to cause it, otherwise does anyone have any recommendations of inline attenuators to use? Or do they degrade the signal and I should just live with it?

Thanks!

Du you have the remote control ?

Play a cd and take the remote control , try lowering the volume using the marantz remote control
Hce8ea446e3be49848e26edb041cbf4ael[1].jpg

Gray

...I'm wondering if I should have got 20db ones. Any thoughts?
For what it's worth, quick thought from me.
With the 2x 10dB you're getting, you could make a single 20dB, just for test purpose.
With them connected in series, you could try them on one channel (with the other channel disconnected).
Not quite the same I know, but it would give you a fair guide as to the position of your volume control with -20db on the input......by comparison with -10dB.

D

Deleted member 108165

No it should give atleast 3 or 4 hours, it won't be close to max power at 12 o'clock, 10 db is the difference between 10 and 100 watt or 6 and 60 watt
Whatever you say Gasolin... I don't need to use them anymore :) But judging by what 12th said it's not 3 or 4 hours, he found it more like 1.5 hours max.

Bumping this old thread. @ 12th monkey.

I've been playing with the Sugden A21 Sig I've bought, but normal volume is about 730 and pretty loud is about 900, if that makes sense. I saw your amazon review after I'd already bought some rothwells. I went for the 10db's which I picked up on a request on a forum. But reading your comment above about an hour and half on the dial of extra adjustment I'm wondering if I should have got 20db ones. Any thoughts?
Guess I'll have to see when they arrive.

The Sugden seems super loud super quick on the dial. Only 23W, but class A, wouldn't like to get to 12 midnight as think my ears might fall off!!

I think I probably settled in about the right place. I didn't want to be using the loudest quarter of the dial's travel, and taking into account quieter recordings (as well as classical with it's typically greater dynamic range), the 10dB was probably right for me.

Gray's suggestion above sounds like a good idea though - mine wasn't too loud as early on the dial as yours seems to be.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts