In desperate need of help & advice (Onkyo HTX-22HDX)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have an infuriating problem that I'm hoping you guys could help with.

Ive posted my issue over at AVS forums here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=109

Does anybody here have any further advice as im at my wits end with it?

If not then can somebody recommened the best 2.1 system out there to go with my LG tv.

Thanks in advance

Paul

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
From reading your post, it sounds like this could be an HDCP authentication / handshake issue - have you tried contacting LG and Onkyo to see if there is a firmware update that might fix it?

EDIT - having said that, reading the Amazon reviews of the HDMI cables you replaced your old ones with, they look to have a few people who are reporting exactly the same issue as you're having i.e. picture breaking up. Have you still got the old HDMI cable you connected up with before and if so, can you try them? I know they work okay with just the device, but it's worth checking just so it can be completely ruled out that it's the cable and not the Onkyo.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. I put the old cables back and the problem was still exactly the same yes.

I was thinking those cables wernt good enough though because they wernt (high speed, 1.4 or whatever)? that's why I bought these new ones.

Do you think then it's a good idea to try some new cables before giving up for good on it?

Thanks again

Paul

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
To be honest, if both cables do the same, it sounds pretty likely that it's the Onkyo at fault, especially since both cables work okay when connected directly.

Next step I'd say is to contact Onkyo (link) and see if they're aware of any conflicts with your LG TV and if there's a firmware upgrade to fix the issue. You can also phone them (link).

EDIT - have read here on HDMI cables so you know what the marketing blurb means. There's no such thing as a 1.4 cable - essentially, as long as a cable is certified High Speed, it will do everything you need it to.

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much, Ill call Onkyo tonight and update the thread with their response.

Paul

A

Anonymous

Onko said that i need to change the resolution? but how on earth do I do that? On the sources? or on the actual Onkyo? or on the tv? couldnt get much sense out of them.

Im just gunna send the thing back and get something else. any suggestions?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Okay, that's a cop out response from some first line technician who can't be bothered to look into the problem properly. Phone again and hopefully you'll get someone better. If you don't, explain that both your TV and the Onkyo are capable of handling 1080p resolution - you know that because the PS3 works fine when plugged in direct and it says on their website that, with it's 1.4a spec HDMI ports, the Onkyo is capable of both 3D and 1080p passthrough - so there can't be a need to change the output resolution of any of the devices.

If they persist in this line, ask to speak to their supervisor and then ask for a competent technician to help with your issue :)

I notice someone on the other forum has given you some potentially helpful things to try, so try those as well.

If all this fails, then come back and we can start looking into a suitable replacement - it's just the Onkyo has such potential in terms of its spec (and I've read some great feedback on it from other owners), it would be shame to give up on it so quickly when it should do exactly what you need it to.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again mate, Its been really comforting speaking to you, and the guys at AVS, it can feel quite lonely when your a bit of a technophobe trying to get on with your new gadget with no luck.

Im going to try the advice that the guy at AVS posted yesterday and ill report back.

Thanks again, really appreaciate it.

Paul

A

Anonymous

Ive updated the original thread over at AVS if you would like a look? Basically im still having same problems and am completely stumped...at my wits end...annoyed...etc etc.

Any other help would immensily appreciated

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts