In a dilemna

jjay

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi to all,

have a dilemna some advice would be a help. After years of my speakers and separates being packed away i can finally get them out of retirement but not all is well.

I have a set of Mordaunt Short 906's which i love they used to be hooked up with an Arcam Alpha 7 amp and cdp with qed silver anniversary cable bi wired. Before packing away the cdp had died on me and was scrapped due to repair, the speakers are fine but the amp has been smashed in an accident so seems i am to buy new pieces which is good but...

my plan was to set up an Arcam cd72t ( i like the Arcam way ) with amp but need new now so i would lke to know if i paired a cd72t with an A85 or A75+ ( have read the negative press is it really that bad ? ) could i take advantage of the av processors in them and use my 906's as front speakers in an av set up as i still have boxed a matching surround speaker system still boxed as new.

maybe an Onkyo or Yamaha av amp with a pre out ( i think ) to the other amp so i get the benefit of both,hope this makes sense any advice is welcome

thanks j

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I have an Arcam A80 in use in my 3rd system. Really nice amp. Probably cheap 2nd hand now.

If you are thinking of getting an AVR I wouldn't worry too much about the stereo option personally. I use a Yamaha RXV667 in my living room with Dali Ikon 6 speakers (fronts) and the performance is about 90% of that to when I used a Lyngdorf amp, and pretty much on a par with using the aforementioned Arcam. Musically it is fantastic, and cost me £300. I (personally) think there is still a lot of latent left-over rubbish spoken about the sound quality of AVRs.

Heck, I even use the excellent digital inputs on mine for music. So, if you were to get an AVR then you could scrap the CD player idea and use a DVD/BR player if you have one.

Either way, if you get one with preouts (like mine), you can always add on a stereo amp later if you really feel you're missing something.

I would definitely recommend Yamaha. Although I don't think the latest version of mine has pre-outs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts