Improving Music streaming quality.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
After a long and painful process, I finally managed to make the streaming function of my Yamaha work. My main objective was to be able to unplug the ugly iPod cord from the front (why do not they make these connections at the back¿?). Then, be able to close the front garage door of the AVR and use the streaming function instead of the iPod. However, as soon as I started using it, I have noticed 3 main issues:

1) Sound - It is already bad enough to listen to music through an AV receiver but, this streaming functionality seem much worse than the direct connection from the iPOD. Is there a possibility to make any adjustments in the Computer (ex. Equalizing) or using any program that will allow improving the sound?

2) Navigation - I have downloaded servii but I do not seem to be able to make it work. I can navigate through it using the Yamaha mobile app but it does not play the songs. However, when I change to the WMP server then, it works ok but navigation is much slower.

3) Laptop connection – Finally, another issue that I do not like is that I need to have my laptop connected via cable in order to make the streaming work; it does not seem to work if the laptop is connected via Wi-Fi. This means that I cannot listen to music and use the laptop in the house at the same time (unless I use the laptop in the office room where it is plugged to the rooter).

Any help on the issues above will be very much appreciated.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
rendu

Assuming your receiver is wired to the router, then I think a NAS would be the best way round the connectivity problem. You can buy a 1TB unit for well under £100, load all your music onto it, and then stream from that to the Yamaha, and indeed to the computer.

Might then be worth exploring some alternative server software to present the music to the Yamaha: just about every NAS will come with some form of DLNA/UPnP software installed, enabling it to make music visible to network players such as the Yamaha. It's usually either a proprietary system or Twonkymediaserver, which seems to work very smoothly with most devices.

Not saying any of this will make the sound any better, but it should improve operability.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the recomendation, I will take note and consider for future upgrades, I thought about the NAS possibility already in the past. However, the priority is still the sound so, if none of this can improve or at least equal the quality to the iPod then, I will have to continue using the iPod :)-( still can not get rid of this iPod even after 10 years of use....).

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No idea why your sound should be worse when streaming, unless your computer is in some way transcoding the music to a lower quality format. Have used many streaming receivers in the past, and they all sound at least as good as, and usualy much better than a direct iPod hook-up.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
I was surprised myself, that is also what I expected so I do not know what could be wrong. The files are exactly the same as I have in my iPod. The only difference is that the iPod has the equalizer "Rock" selected but, I do not even know if this is taken into account when the iPod is pluged into the USB port. The PC is using windows media player as server application to stream over to the receiver.

This leads to my next question which is: What components affect sound quality in music streaming? MP3 quality, PC soundcard, application server program, WMP equalization, Rooter, RJ45 cables, etc. Does anybody know?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
rendu said:
This leads to my next question which is: What components affect sound quality in music streaming? MP3 quality, PC soundcard, application server program, WMP equalization, Rooter, RJ45 cables, etc. Does anybody know?

MP3 quality definitely, PC soundcard not at all (as streaming doesn't use it). Ditto the WMP equaliser IIRC, but then I'd suggest using software other than the built-in Windows application to serve music, for reasons already covered.

Depending who you listen to, all or some or none of the rest can have an effect.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the info, that being the case I doubt I can do much to improve or change the sound. I will try at least to see if I can manage to use a different server application than WMP.

Fisherking 145

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the NAS suggestions, get your files streaming to the receiver hitch free first, and then go from there. I've just purchased a 3010 and have been very impressed with the sound quality when streaming, it's not quite as good as my main set up, but it's not a million miles away, so I would be confident it's not your receiver that's at fault. What bitrate are the files you are playing? I've noticed that my 320kbps are not a patch on either my Apple Lossless or FLAC files through the Yamaha, whilst being played through my CDQ the differences are less discernible.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
I may try the NAS path some time in the near future, I am actually thinking that maybe I can borrow from someone and try first before I actually purchase.

Regarding your new A3010. Did you buy the A3010 to replace your Marantz 6004? How do you find the Yamaha in terms of stereo performance compared to the Marantz? I was between Marantz SR7005 and the A2010 when I made the choice and I regret not having purchased the Marantz for music but to be honest I never really had the chance to compare one by one.

Fisherking 145

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes I did. I was looking for 3D capability and a better surround experience, but wasn't that convinced a new receiver was the way to go, as I thought my Marantz was pretty good. I had an SR7007 at home for a few days and didn't think it was an improvement on what I had, it was just a little more convenient. I watched some movies, some concerts, used Airplay and streaming to see how it performed in stereo, as well as direct iPod connection. Though I knew I wouldn't be using it for music listening generally, I still wanted to know how it would perform. I was left underwhelmed to be honest, and expected a stronger performance after reading online reviews. I then demoed the Yamaha, instore only, and not with my speakers, and was convinced from the off it was the way to go. It sounded more like a cinema, but it's performance with music compared to the Marantz put it at a different level completely. More slam, more detail and more musical. When I took it home and hooked it into my system I knew I'd made the right decision, it sounded even better. Far superior to the SR7007, and a worthwhile change to my system, I'm certain you shouldn't regret not buying the 7005.
Like I said, I dont use it for my main stereo listening, but it delivers well enough not to disappoint.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Well, I am definetly very glad to hear that.

It took me some time to set up the Yamaha but, now I reasonably satisfied with stereo performace except for some specific types of music with heavy bass (ex. Bruno Mars or Trey Songz tend to sound obscure).

The main issue that I find is at higher volumes, when I like some song and push up, it starts to expand the sound instead of increasing the sound and it looses the focus, rithm and the beat, I basically stop feeling the drums. I believe that this is mainly due to the fact that my Ikon 1s have also 3d "expansive" presentation themselves so it multiplies the effect.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts