Improve stereo playback

Sim

Jan 5, 2022
Visit site
Hello.

Since most of the music I listen to is now via Tidal on my phone, I am trying to figure how best to reproduce this on my hi fi.

I recently purchased a Marantz 5015 surround amp so at present am streaming via Bluetooth. I believe my phone is capable of decent signal quality though I probably need to investigate the settings. I had always had a separate stereo amp and had hoped the marantz would be all solving but it doesn't quite do it in stereo mode. I did suspect this but are there any tweaks I can make without adding a new amp and streaming device to the system.? Would hard wiring the phone, a laptop or tablet to the marantz achieve noticeable differences? I have an entry level rotel amp and old theta chroma dac. Would it be worth using this for the stereo linked out from the marantz pre outs? Main speakers are old B&W P5s. Also listen to cd and vinyl occasionally.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Simon

DCarmi

Bluetooth transmits in a lossy format, some better than others. So, hi-res audio will be "downgraded". The extent will depend on the Bluetooth codec being used.

Does the 5015 not support Tidal natively via the HEOS app on your phone? You should be able to supply your Tidal account details to the app and then stream in hi-res to the Marantz, with no messing around with Bluetooth.

Reactions: jjbomber

Sim

Jan 5, 2022
Visit site
Got it set up. Streaming 16 bit. I guess most files will be 16 bit with some 24 bit files popping up on Tidal? Sounded OK. Need to pick the right heos mode and listen properly. What would be the advantages of adding a dedicated it streamer? Isn't the heos already doing that on board the marantz?

Reactions: DCarmi and jjbomber

DCarmi

Sounds like you are now getting at least CD quality. If you are seeing 24 bit then you are streaming Hi-Res.
Benefits of a streamer will largely depend on you, I guess.
  1. Do you hate the HEOS interface?
  2. Are you unhappy the DAC in the Marantz?
  3. How much are you willing to spend to "improve"?
My guess is that if you are generally happy with the Marantz then you've probably seen the biggest improvement jumping from Bluetooth to Network transmission. Cost vs Benefit from adding a streamer may be minimal and will need audition.

I am guessing you might find other areas of the overall system that might be benefit from expenditure more.

Sim

Jan 5, 2022
Visit site
Thanks again. HEOS App is OK . I'll stick with that for now. Not wanting to spend much right now, just make the most of what I currently have . Maybe add a dedicated 2 channel amp for music later. Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS