Impressions on the Rega Mira

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Greetings !

The Rega Mira is on Sale here in the US and in the UK. I can't find much information about it on the net. Does anyone on these forums have any impressions on it?

I was thinking of running it with the rega dac and RS5 speakers with the possibility of getting a budget rega turntable down the road.

Thanks in advance.

idc

The original was a lovely little amp with bags of detail and dynamics. Its 40 watts worked well with all sorts of speakers and CDPs Mine was let down by poor build quality with a twisted chassis, a failed LED and volume knob that had a mind of its own.

idc

No, it was the original which had the same style of the 3 with the curved fascia and heatsinks below the amp. I auditioned it against a NAD, Roksan and the Brio amp and the Mira won out wit its dynamics.

A

Anonymous

idc:The original was a lovely little amp with bags of detail and dynamics. Its 40 watts worked well with all sorts of speakers and CDPs Mine was let down by poor build quality with a twisted chassis, a failed LED and volume knob that had a mind of its own.
Had mine for 4 months now and am very pleased. However the volume control knob is a little strange to use as it moves in very small steps when operated manually. It doesn't bother me at all though as I always use the remote control which came with it.

Apart from that the rest of build and finish is excellent and its performance is fine to my ears.

A

Anonymous

I had the mira 3 and it was a great amp for the money, i had mine paired up with the apollo and it sounded very good.

I believe there is a new range coming soon hence the price reduction.

A

Anonymous

How was the step up from the Rega Mira to the Nait XS? The Rega, on sale, is about 1/3rd the price of the Nait XS.

A

Anonymous

Anyone? Looks like the Rega Amps aren't terribly popular at WhatHiFi

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
I think the Mira 3 is a bit of a bargain at the current sale prices (at least here in the UK); particularly, if you're planning to run an all Rega system (as you are). That said, I'm not sure how much they currently are over your side of the pond and what is available for the same cash.

I have absolutely no complaints about mine - indeed, I've found it to be a good all-rounder. Solid build and nice styling. It times well and has a good level of detail and focus. I've heard a number of people comment that it's a little bright or edgy in the treble. Admittedly, I found that too when I first set it up, though that was cured by simple repositioning of my speakers (side-ports firing in instead of out).

At the old price and outside of a Rega set-up, I'll be the first to admit that the Mira isn't a class-leader (not to say that it's bad, simply that there are better imo). Though, at the reduced price and when paired with a Rega source and speakers, I think it's pretty hard to beat.

Of course, it'll be interesting to hear what the new Rega amps will sound like and what the price points will be.

A

Anonymous

The RegaMira is still around $1200, but factory demos can be bought for $950.

The Nait5i runs around 1700.

The Nad 356Bee, in contrast is around $800, and the Nad326Bee just $500.

:)

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
I've listened to the Nait 5i and Mira 3 back to back and whilst I found the Nait that little bit better overall (and particularly, in relaying the finer detail), I didn't find it sufficiently better to warrant the extra outlay (whether that be $500 or $750 extra). The Nait XS would be a different story, but then you're in a whole new price bracket.

Can't really comment on the Nad Amps, as I've not heard them in a direct comparison to the Mira.

As people always say, go and have a listen for yourself, if you can.

A

Anonymous

Heard the Rega Rs5 today with the Mira3. I guess I've gotten a little spoilt listening to the NaitXS. The soundstage just felt like it had collapsed. It's almost like the Mira3 is better for 'background music', and the NaitXS is better when you're acually listening to music.

I'm guessing the Mira3 would be better with the Rs3s. I for now, am going with the NaitXS. To a certain degree also because it opens me up to more speaker options down the road.

A

Anonymous

The Mira 3 is a fine, musical amplifer although I'd suggest it's a little long in the tooth now and will sound a little soft driving the RS5s (they're not a difficult load to drive but they thrive on cast iron control and the silk tweeter is a little reservd sounding). With smaller "bouncy" sounding speakers (like the RS1s) the Mira would be fine. It'd be worth trying out a Rotel RA1520 or Naim Nait 5i-2 as a comparison.

Also don't lose sleep over WHF's view on Rega amps, unlike the DAC, Apollo, RP1 etc not many Hifi chains/franchises (eg Sevenoaks, Audio T etc) carry Rega Amplifiers. So it's no suprise they're luke warm about them.

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
As you've said, I think you've spoilt yourself listening to the Nait XS, which really is in a different class to the Mira, both sonically and in terms of cost.

I think the Nait XS is a very good buy - many people rate it as best in its class. Though if you're now looking to spend that sort of cash then I'd start comparative listening with other amps in the same class, rather than the Mira. Again, not sure on pricing in the US, but I'd be comparing the XS against the likes of: Leema Pulse, Roksan Caspian M, Cyrus 8XP, Unison Unico Primo, Sugden A21, Primare i30, Rega Elicit, Rega Cursa3/Maia3 Combo, etc.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
AlanNorak:Also don't lose sleep over WHF's view on Rega amps, unlike the DAC, Apollo, RP1 etc not many Hifi chains/franchises (eg Sevenoaks, Audio T etc) carry Rega Amplifiers. So it's no suprise they're luke warm about them.

Which makes a difference to our opinion of them how?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:AlanNorak:Also don't lose sleep over WHF's view on Rega amps, unlike the DAC, Apollo, RP1 etc not many Hifi chains/franchises (eg Sevenoaks, Audio T etc) carry Rega Amplifiers. So it's no suprise they're luke warm about them.
Which makes a difference to our opinion of them how?

Alan probably missed the Rega system tests in the last two year's of January issues where the system score on both occasions (including Mira 3 and Brio 3 amps respectively) was 5 stars.

The individual component scores for the Rega amps in both tests were 4/5 which is hardly 'lukewarm'.

A

Anonymous

I'm considering a similar system.

Chebby, Do you remember what the source/speakers around the Mira were? Another option I guess I could consider is getting the Mira3 now, and upgrading when the Rega amps get refreshed.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chebby:Alan probably missed the Rega system tests in the last two year's of January issues

I get the impression he may not be a regular reader
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Well, to be fair, neither am I, though I did catch the latest edition in Stockmanns to-day.

By the way, did you get to see any of Helsinki during your compulsory stay here? Or just the airport?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts