Importance of SCART and cables questions

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey People,

i just got a ) Philips 37PFL8404. and have several questions i've been meaning to ask:

1. I currently have a Vivanco Scart 1.5m (http://www.vivanco.de/cgi-bin/vivanco/en_US/productDetail.html?productId=4857&catId=0) connected to my Satellite (SD) reciver.

I sometime switch it to my DVD (LG V190 - VCRDVD).

It's Header is very big and can't fit my cable hole in my shelves.

Is it worth it getting a new one? generally, what's the importance of getting an expensive SCART?

is an analog SCART more important then getting an expensive HDMI (digital)?

- the problems that I face are: availability (major problem where i live) - i am limited to: Monster, tech+link, Hama, vivanco. (Funnily i can get a Van Den Hul - but that costs 158 Pounds!), and price (i am limited to 40-45 pounds).

2. Perhaps i will connect a component cable to my DVD (but the problem with that is i can't watch the VCR with component) - in case i do, what should i get (as i will connect to a an SD DVD)?

3. I plan to connect my PC to the TV, how important is the DVI-HDMI cable (is getting an expensive one worth it)?

it will also require a 3.5mm-3.5mm (2m) cable, what should i get? I currently use my TV speakers only.

4. later i will connect a Satellite HD receiver to the TV, it will be 720p and can get to 1080I, what HDMI cable will be worth it?

A lot of question i know, but I collected them for a while and didn't want to open many topics.

I would greatly appreciate any help! hopefully will be a reference for other users in the future.

Thanks a lot!

Dan.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
As with every cable (in my opinion) ensuring you get a decent one is worth the effort. Scart is no different, my PVR came alive when I replaced the freebie Scart cable I was using with a QED AV41 SQart cable. You mention you can only get a few brands, can you not order one online? Hificables.co.uk is the one I generally use and has always provided me first class service. Slightly cheaper is the Thor Scart cable which got a good rating from What HiFi back in the day and is still available on Amazon.

For the PC connection - what are you intending to use the PC for? If you're going to watch hi-def movies etc. through it, I would look to probably get decent cables (though I can't recommend any I'm afraid) whereas if it's just to allow you to display the PC on the TV, clearly the picture and sound quality might not be so important to splash out.

On the HDMI cable, as you're probably aware, this is controversial ground. Given your setup (37" TV with satellite receiver), it's not worth spending a fortune on these cables. I would look at something like the QED HDMI-P (available now for about £20 - £30).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply!

I will use the PC specifically to watch 1080P movies. (that is also like a digital HDMI cable)

I live in Israel so ordering is more of a hassle (and expense).

Is a scart cable more influenced by quality then digital cables?

do you know the vivanco? is monster or tech-link better?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
lt_dan:Thanks for the reply!

No problem!

lt_dan:Is a scart cable more influenced by quality then digital cables?

I'm guessing you mean are analogue Scart cables more susceptible to interference than digital HDMI cables? If so, to be honest, it's not as simple as that unfortunately - have a look through the many digital cable discussions to see the varying opinions on how controversial a subject this is - unfortunately I can't present you with any evidence either way except to say it's best to try for yourself and see what you think. I appreciate this is difficult for yourself in Israel, but it's the best advice I can give!

lt_dan:do you know the vivanco? is monster or tech-link better?

I don't have experience with Vivanco or Tech-Link Scart cables I'm afraid, though I generally have had a pretty poor experience with Monster cables. However, every cable is different so unfortunately it's not as simple as saying you could get any cable from this manufacturer and be okay.

A

Anonymous

what problems did you have with monster?

also - is there anyone else that has experience with those cables that could help or any exp. with scart in general?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts