Importance of filtered power

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear Hifi pundits,

I came across a product that the seller claims would improve my hifi's overall preformance. I wasnt entirely sure about the things he told me. So I would like to hear your opinon on this.

The product is a AC filter and he gave me a demo as well. He plugged in a small device with a loud speaker directly to the wall socket. Then the speaker produced a hissing sound, then he plugged it into the filter with the filter connected to the wall socket. The speaker was absolutely silent this time.

According to him the filter did its job and cleansed the AC mains to give you more pure power which in turn will help my hifi equipments to perform better.

I just wonder how much of this is true!

Any advice on this please?

Many thanks

Mags :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Depends how bad your mains is in the first place, some people say it make a huge difference, others say it makes no difference at all, pretty much like everything in hi-fi.

spr1ggsy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, mains filtering can have a drastic effect on sound, however results are unpredictable. Cant you find a dealer who will either loan you one or sell it to you on sale or return so that you can judge for yourself??

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
This is a "how long is a piece of string" question.

The best solution is usually putting in a dedicated spur for the hifi.

The idea of feeding "clean" power to your system is a good one, but done well it is also a costly one. Solutions range from filtering/conditioning through Balanced Mains Transformers, to Mains regeneration.

Cost ranges from around £25 for a Tacima to several thousand. The cheap ones (imo) should not be used on amps as they "strangle" them, removing the full dynamics of the sound.
The expensive solutions can have a dramatic effect, depending on the quality of the mains in each situation...which, as other posters have said, can give varying results.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
magz76 said:
Dear Hifi pundits,

I came across a product that the seller claims would improve my hifi's overall preformance. I wasnt entirely sure about the things he told me. So I would like to hear your opinon on this.

The product is a AC filter and he gave me a demo as well. He plugged in a small device with a loud speaker directly to the wall socket. Then the speaker produced a hissing sound, then he plugged it into the filter with the filter connected to the wall socket. The speaker was absolutely silent this time.

According to him the filter did its job and cleansed the AC mains to give you more pure power which in turn will help my hifi equipments to perform better.

I just wonder how much of this is true!

Any advice on this please?

Many thanks

Mags :)
I find the demo very suspicious. The small box could be setup to behave like that.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Normally the power source of our home is quite clean and you may not need any line filter at all unless you find the noise is very substential due to interferences of your home electricals and PCs.

You may use this device to check if you need any line filter:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-PureAV-Power-Sniffer-Detector/dp/B00361FY2Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326389448&sr=8-1

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
I depends.
My hifi is set up in the bedroom because I have a bad back. And because of that back, I've bought a pair or electrical beds so I can change the back/head and leg height. Everytime I pushed on of the buttons on the bed, my DacMagic stopped working and my speakers plopped. My solution was to add a Monster Cable green power powerbar, with built-in filtering. And since then, no more plopping.

That powerbar costed 120euro back then.

leofin

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
KevinJ: are you using the PM-15S2 as a Poweramp? Any isses with sound quality by doing so?

I have a NR1402 too, with a PM8003... volume level is always low, when I use the poweramp mode. I was thinking if that's normal.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I think the demonstration proved nothing! Even if it were genuine it would just say that the mains supply was noisy, and in commercial premises I would suspect that would be normal. The power supply in your equipment has a bloody great electrolytic capacitor and that will filiter out pretty much any mains noise.

I was much more impressed by my dealer who recommended a mains conditioner that he didn't stock so had no commercial interest in me buying. Actually it made no discernable difference but I don't regret buying it.

Chris

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
I think the demonstration proved nothing! Even if it were genuine it would just say that the mains supply was noisy, and in commercial premises I would suspect that would be normal. The power supply in your equipment has a bloody great electrolytic capacitor and that will filiter out pretty much any mains noise.

I was much more impressed by my dealer who recommended a mains conditioner that he didn't stock so had no commercial interest in me buying. Actually it made no discernable difference but I don't regret buying it.

Chris

You don't regret, because...?

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
DocG said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

Because it didn't cost very much and I'm willing to try things where I can see the potential for improvement. Having something that will take the spikes out of mains power before it gets to my kit can't be a bad thing and may be a useful piece of insurance. I never believed it would do some of the things people claim for mains conditioners - improve the sound stage for example - that's just witchcraft.

Chris

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
DocG said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

Because it didn't cost very much and I'm willing to try things where I can see the potential for improvement. Having something that will take the spikes out of mains power before it gets to my kit can't be a bad thing and may be a useful piece of insurance. I never believed it would do some of the things people claim for mains conditioners - improve the sound stage for example - that's just witchcraft.

Chris

I see. Your gear is safer, and there is no evident, negative impact on the sound (nor on your budget). :) Makes sense!

Never regret what you did, regret what you didn't do! :)

TRENDING THREADS