Importance of equipment in a streaming setup?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Whilst we are on Cambridge Audio, when did they slip a USB B input on there 651A amplifier! how sneaky. Is that the new version.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I hadn't appreciated that these streamers had a DAC built-in, I figured that was handled externally or by the amplifier. I thought they were merely moving a digital file from one location to another.

Essentially it's the DAC and the quality of the outputs that has the greatest impact on price then - as feature-wise most streamers seem to offer the same functions...am I close?

I'm trying to figure this out because when looking at brands such as Linn, Cyrus and Naim you could be paying anywhere from 2 to 8 times as much when compared with other 5 start products from the likes of Marantz, Cambridge Audio and Logitech.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
If you push music from one device to another (eg Apple Airplay or Microsoft PlayTo) then over wireless you will almost certainly lose quality as the protocol used is based on RTSP/UDP which does not recover errors (it assumes successful delivery and no errors)

The better method is for a streamer to pull the files from a NAS or HD using TCP/IP (which has full error recovery/resend) and play them locally . This is the way most other streamers work using DLNA. The downside is the streamer needs to have the correct codec support.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Your pretty close. As I stated in my first post, it's albout the digital-to-analog conversion. Future wise a Squeezebox can easily keep up with the most expensives ones out there, with maybe one exception: the Squeezebox goes 'only' up until 96/24, where a Naim for example can handle 192/24.

But again: with respect to usability the Squeezebox can have all DLNA-based streamers out there. And if you're combining it with a proper DAC you have one hell of a streaming solution!

Regards H

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
>as feature-wise most streamers seem to offer the same functions<

Hmm, I'd say they're actually different in what they offer but often reviewers are missing these distinctions as they are just copying from the vendors' electronic press pack (EPP).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts