iMac to Sony TV

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello, sorry for being dull however, I am a technophobe trying to drag himself into the modern world! I've read all other threads which don't quite ask the question that I hope can be answered.

I've recently purchased a Sony KDL- HX703 and would like to be able to view internet content e.g 5 and 4OD iPlayer etc and am not sure exactly whatequipment I'll need to do this . As the subject says I have an iMac not PC and currently a wired router; do I just need a wireless router and streaming box if so, can I assume I'm safer staying with Apple and buying the Airport extreme and the Apple TV. Or am I completely wrong in all my assumptions.

Thanks for any and all advice/assistance.

Nick

A

Anonymous

Nick

I could be completely completely wrong as I don't own the TV but believe it has an ethernet port so you can connect it directly to your router with an ethernet cable. If location makes that impossible you can buy a wireless dongle for it, and upgrade your router. Which ever way you will then be able to access its on line features.

I don't think those currently include iplayer (they do include youtube). Iplayer is clearly anticipated to happen, if it isn't there already. It is quite tricky (if not impossible) to find a single device (apart from your computer) that includes all on demand programming from 4,5, itv, sky, bbc.

Alternatively you can buy leads to connect your imac to the TV, but be careful to ensure it includes the sound - leads that just do the picture are much more common (and cheaper), but I think these days you can find a lead that will run from the (optical) head phone socket on the iMAC (depending on it's vintage) and the display port to an HDMI socket on your TV. How well they synchronise the sound and picture I don't know.

I don't think - but haven't checked that apple TV supports the on demand TV stuff you are interested in.

Cheers

Mark

A

Anonymous

Mark

Thanks for the info and advice. I did purchase a dongle with the TV as I didn't want to run cables if possible. I'll buy a new router and try that first unless someone else comes up with a better idea!

Cheers

Nick

A

Anonymous

landzw

As I said I'm a technophobe! Do you mean something like BT hub or another device e.g. a roku or other streaming device? When I've mentioned streaming elsewhere I've been told that streaming is photos etc frommy computer NOT me watching TV. However, everything I've read suggests otherwise! It only adds to my confusion! Lol

Thanks for your input if you've got more I'm still paying attention.

Nick

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Just had a look at the Sony KDL- HX703 and it looks a cracking tv , i could just sit and admire the tv for ages .

Sorry the homehub isn't what you need . A powerline network adaptor would do the trick .

You can find these on eBay i would go for ones that have been used for BT vision just to be on the safe side to get you started

A

Anonymous

The TV is fantastic! Excellent picture and sound! Thanks for the continued suggestions, I've checked them out but what do the adaptors do?

Thanks again

Nick

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
basically you plug one in new to you router and the other near your tv , connect both plugs to you router and tv using a network cable , and you should have access to the web from your tv

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts