Ignore . . .

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Ah i wondered if you had a SUT due to you mentioning the 304. Nice little cart for the money but very low output. Stupidly low tracking force but on saying that it tracks like a limpet regardless of what you may read on tinterweb. Cantilever is very delicate,ok aint they all , but the 304s is even more so. Sumis are ok but tend to fall to pieces (sound wise,lol) when you wick it up.

Re Benz. If you can find a dealer listen to the ACE. If you like it and fancy a risky (avoid import duty kinda risky) there is a seller on a certain auction site who has them up for stoopid money. This is the thing with carts isnt it. What sounds great on my arm ,through my phono etc etc, could sound pants on yours, and vicky verky. Good luck with your cart trials, and keep a steady hand mate.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Ah i wondered if you had a SUT due to you mentioning the 304. Nice little cart for the money but very low output. Stupidly low tracking force but on saying that it tracks like a limpet regardless of what you may read on tinterweb. Cantilever is very delicate,ok aint they all , but the 304s is even more so. Sumis are ok but tend to fall to pieces (sound wise,lol) when you wick it up.

Re Benz. If you can find a dealer listen to the ACE. If you like it and fancy a risky (avoid import duty kinda risky) there is a seller on a certain auction site who has them up for stoopid money. This is the thing with carts isnt it. What sounds great on my arm ,through my phono etc etc, could sound pants on yours, and vicky verky. Good luck with your cart trials, and keep a steady hand mate.

Floyd,

Found a 'Benz' dealer in Maidstone about 100 miles away! I'll give them a call see what they have to say? I've really got to grips with the M2 Blue this evening, minute adjustments, bring it into focus . . . But there is just that tiny hint at the top end is it going to let go???? that lets it down, drop the VTA and it goes dull. Tracking weight is ultra critical on musicality? It will track at almost any old weight with in reason, but there is a critical sweet spot.

Thanks for the heads up on the ACE, its a matter of listen to the ACE and Micro, see where they are going . . . ?

CJSF

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65 said:
Bretty loves his Grado (the b****r hasn't invited me round to listen so cannot verify lol!) so maybe a rock solid choice.

Yep, the Grado is the mutts nuts. And Gregster, you're welcome round anytime matey. I'll get the beers in. Just gimme a shout on Facebook when you fancy it!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty said:
mitch65 said:
Bretty loves his Grado (the b****r hasn't invited me round to listen so cannot verify lol!) so maybe a rock solid choice.

Yep, the Grado is the mutts nuts. And Gregster, you're welcome round anytime matey. I'll get the beers in. Just gimme a shout on Facebook when you fancy it!

Will do dude.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Hence why I personally leave small or subtle upgrades well alone. If it ain't broke...

. . . I have to disagree 'PP' . . . first the changes I made to my P5 were sometimes subtle, the ISOweight for instance but even so audible, the acrylic platter on the other hand was a between the eyes revelation. Each change has to be made on its own and properly sampled otherwise you have no idea whether you are coming or going. The final result is the 'sum of the parts making more than the whole'.

The tiniest change in the whole upgrade has been the 'no cost!' the tracking force, only, I believe possible, because of the effects of the re aligning of the center line forces closer to the stylus line? The changes in tracking weight was so small over 0.25gr, it took 5 movements of the wheel, but there was an obvious and progressive 'bringing into focus' achieved in the musical and sound stage presentation.

The system unoptimised, sounds very nice, but if voicing and image are slightly blurred . . . nice and comfortable agreed, but blurred never the less. Optimise each factor in the system as we do, speakers, cables, amplifier, the turntable is the generator of the sound, leave that out of kilter and the sound you listen to is meaningless? Optimise the the TT and then all the other components often click into place with little or not work required, 'rubbish in, rubbish out' says Linn.

The problem that all this pains taking work (if its is a problem?) presents, one starts to hear, in my case, in detail, the short comings of the cartridge scraping through the groves. This can be optimised, as one has done, on tracking, VTA, bias, but every so often those rough edges present . . . then one has to decide, live with a compromise, cos its working 'pretty d*m good most of the time' . . . or go for better in the scarping department? At the moment a tough one, cant sample all the options, so it could be an expensive and unsatisfying sideways move??

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts