admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Please excuse my ignorance, however I am after some advice, I know practically nothing about Hi Fi , and I want to purchase a decent sound system. I currently have a sony television,KDL40S20IN, attached to a Sony home theatre DAVDZ810W.I play some music through this system and some with my Ipod through a Hitachi mini system.

Whilst the sound is OK I want something better, can anyone give advice on a decent upgrade, either home theatre or seperate system.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
barrygardner4:
Please excuse my ignorance, however I am after some advice, I know practically nothing about Hi Fi , and I want to purchase a decent sound system. I currently have a sony television,KDL40S20IN, attached to a Sony home theatre DAVDZ810W.I play some music through this system and some with my Ipod through a Hitachi mini system.

Whilst the sound is OK I want something better, can anyone give advice on a decent upgrade, either home theatre or seperate system.

Hello, and welcome to the Forums.

Can you tell us a little more about the system you're after? For example:

a) What kind of money were you thinking of spending?

b) What size room do you have?

With that info, i'm sure you'll gain many more helpful suggestions than the unfortunately blunt one above!

A

Anonymous

Thats the problem, where do I start? As I said I know very little about the subject and wanted some advice for a reasonable set up, what to pay, manufacturer etc..nothing too specific.......

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Ok, let's start with the size of your room; and what mix of music/movies you plan to use the system for (eg mostly movies with a bit of music; mostly music and occasional movie; iPod connectivity an essential etc).

Tell us that and we can start suggesting both all-in-one and separates-based systems at a range of budgets. The more info you give us, the more tailored advice we can all provide - we'll find you the perfect set-up
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare, my lounge is about 20'x 15' I don't really have a specific budget but probably £500-£1000 is that a realistic sum?

Should I be looking at buying seperates or can I get a good sound with an I Pod dock?

A

Anonymous

Messages keep getting crossed over! We do tend to watch a lot of films, however its more of a decent sound system for music that I am after, more than a surround sound for the TV

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Separates will give you more for your money, plus you'll be able to plug your iPod in, too.

If you're just talking stereo - and keeping your existing Sony system for AV duties (you can always upgrade at later date), i'd consider the Marantz CD6003 CD player, Marantz CD6003 amp (complete with iPod connection that will charge and playback your iPod) and Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers. Add speaker stands and cabling and that'll be a cracking £1000 hi-fi system.

Reviews of all those products on the site.

That's just one way of spending your money -sure there'll be others along with many other suggestions. Please come back with more comments/questions!

A

Anonymous

Many thanks, I bought your magazine to take on holiday,really enjoyed reading it, thats what has got me started along this line..thanks again

barrygardner4:Messages keep getting crossed over! We do tend to watch a lot of films, however its more of a decent sound system for music that I am after, more than a surround sound for the TV

As an alternative to Clare's suggestions, look at Nad 326 + Nad CDP + Kef IQ5SE. Like Clare's these are 5 * recommendations should sound good with films. The Kef's produce an impressive sourround sound should the need arise.

A

Anonymous

Again excuse my ignorance, but if I wish to just use my I pod, would I need to purchase both the Marantz CD6003 CD player and CD6003 Amp, or could I get away with just the Amp?

A

Anonymous

You can plug your Ipod directly into the amp so you would not need the CD player unless you have lots of CDs. You can always buy the CD player to match later on.

The end sound quality will depend highly on what bitrate your music is on your Ipod.

Don't forget the CD6003 player has as USB port.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yep, oddly enough, the USB connector for your iPod is on the Marantz CD player, not the amp - but the system will work fine with your iPod connected via one of the amp's inputs. Try a cable like this, or one of Marantz's own iPod docks if you want charging/remote control as well as playback.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts