If you had £600 to spend and needed some new speakers....?

nosiesta

Jul 13, 2024
Visit site
If you had £600 to spend and needed some new speakers, what would you consider?

My very short list is the B&W 607 S3

Paired with a Rotel RA-02, Pro-ject Debut Pro & an Arcam CD-73 (plus some expensive cabling that I sold a kidney for once)

FYI I listen to a lot of different stuff. Eg today I've played Amy Winehouse's Back to Black, Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Pronounced...', Erykah Badu's Baduizm and Led Zeppelin IV!

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi Nosiesta. Choosing B&W 607S3 you risk a bit. You will hear shortcomings of your system. E.g. Rotel RA-02 even quite good but not on a level of B&W607S3. If you like yor Rotel and Arcam CD, I recommend to look in direction of Dali, e.g. Oberon 3. You will save a bit for a good stands and I think you will be happier. This combination will work and will have a lot of fun. For a real usage of Bowers&Wilkins 607S3 you need amp like Cambridge Audio CX 61 or Rega Brio or get angry...B&W went a lot in audiophile direction with last two generations of speakers and even "cheap" 607s3 are demanding hiquality amp and source. Just than they work. I try to save your money and nervs. 😉

gasolin

Preout on the amp

Active studio monitors

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
If you had £600 to spend and needed some new speakers, what would you consider?

My very short list is the B&W 607 S3

Paired with a Rotel RA-02, Pro-ject Debut Pro & an Arcam CD-73 (plus some expensive cabling that I sold a kidney for once)

FYI I listen to a lot of different stuff. Eg today I've played Amy Winehouse's Back to Black, Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Pronounced...', Erykah Badu's Baduizm and Led Zeppelin IV!

Tbh I'd suggest the demo rooms/home demoes at richer sounds and the like.

They usually have things in clearance etc specific to the particular branch you visit.

Failing that dont look past the QA 3050i or bookshelf 3030i

I've been happy with a pair of 3050i after demoing my way to them awhile back.
Very large soundstage and detail and would leave a little change from your budget.

I upgraded from them not long ago which took a considerable jump in budget, not because their failings but paradoxically because they are that good when my older mission's bit the dust on my second hifi I already knew they would fit the bill.

Gray

I haven't heard the Wharfedale 12.3 floorstanders (though they topped a HFC group test, beating speakers at 3 times their price).

I suggested to a mate that they might be a good buy for £500.
(Richer matched a £450 price he found).

He reckons they sound great, when powered by an old Marantz PM-44 (50W) amp.

Reactions: nopiano

nosiesta

Jul 13, 2024
Visit site
I haven't heard the Wharfedale 12.3 floorstanders (though they topped a HFC group test, beating speakers at 3 times their price).

I suggested to a mate that they might be a good buy for £500.
(Richer matched a £450 price he found).

He reckons they sound great, when powered by an old Marantz PM-44 (50W) amp.
could be a good option, other than it makes my lovely Atacama stands obsolete!

Reactions: Gray

nosiesta

Jul 13, 2024
Visit site
Tbh I'd suggest the demo rooms/home demoes at richer sounds and the like.

They usually have things in clearance etc specific to the particular branch you visit.

Failing that dont look past the QA 3050i or bookshelf 3030i

I've been happy with a pair of 3050i after demoing my way to them awhile back.
Very large soundstage and detail and would leave a little change from your budget.

I upgraded from them not long ago which took a considerable jump in budget, not because their failings but paradoxically because they are that good when my older mission's bit the dust on my second hifi I already knew they would fit the bill.

Reactions: Stuart83

nosiesta

Jul 13, 2024
Visit site
Hi Nosiesta. Choosing B&W 607S3 you risk a bit. You will hear shortcomings of your system. E.g. Rotel RA-02 even quite good but not on a level of B&W607S3. If you like yor Rotel and Arcam CD, I recommend to look in direction of Dali, e.g. Oberon 3. You will save a bit for a good stands and I think you will be happier. This combination will work and will have a lot of fun. For a real usage of Bowers&Wilkins 607S3 you need amp like Cambridge Audio CX 61 or Rega Brio or get angry...B&W went a lot in audiophile direction with last two generations of speakers and even "cheap" 607s3 are demanding hiquality amp and source. Just than they work. I try to save your money and nervs. 😉
warning noted. its an amp upgrade or something that can be driven successfully by mine then...

tsaoandy

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Monitor Audi Bronze 100 £499. I have no doubt Rotel can drive B&W however with your type of music B&W will sound better with muscular amp with big current design. Or check out entry JBL or klispch around £500-£600, they sound great with rock.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts