Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 or Triangle Borea BR02

harpoonk31

Feb 14, 2024
Visit site
Does anyone have a preference on these speakers? I've heard good things and recommendations of both, but just wanted to see if anyone has spent much time listening to them and could tell me if one set is preferred or sounds better than the other. I'm looking to buy some speakers and these have similar prices, but the ELACs are typically about $100 more, and I want to know if there's a significant quality difference between them that would justify an extra 100 on the Elacs instead of the br02s.
Thanks.

Witterings

I'v never actually heard the Triangles but when I was doing research found quite a few comments saying they can be a bit bright on the treble which put me off as that was the very reason I was looking to replace a pair of B&W 606 S2's.

Where they sit I'm limited on depth so had to go with the Elac B5.2's (otherwise would have looked at th 6.2's or maybe their Reference range) and have to say I think they're brilliant and "present" as a much bigger / fuller sounding speaker than their size would suggest.

harpoonk31

Feb 14, 2024
Visit site
Pretty much depends on whether or not you can get away with rear ported speakers in the case of the Triangles otherwise they are very similar. To be fair a good comparison would be the BR03 not the BR02
I would be able to have the rear ported speakers. BR03 is front ported, correct?

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi, Elac is good choice. Interesting is the current second generation has different sound signature like the first one. In short, second gen is more analytic like B@W. So there are people who prefere first gen (musical). Triangle Borea has more overal dynamic and balls like Elac Debut. Tweeter can be harsh only if your amp is harsh in high frequences. But I will recommend to you, if your budget allow to look on Focal Vestia Nr.1 (1000 eur/pair). This is simply better speaker than Triangle Borea, Elac Debut, B@W 6xx. They have better residual value on second hand market and Focal invest more into development, new drivers etc. than those companies. Focal range typicaly "live" for some 10 years till replacement. Depending on quality if your amp, source, room, placement etc. If they are up to this task.

Witterings

Right now I have an old home theater AVR, it's a Yamaha RX-V361. I've also been thinking about upgrading that component, but I don't know what to.

I'd do speakers 1st and see if you feel it's a improvement and you may be happy with just that.

Once you've found the ones you like the sound of you can then compare / home trial other amps when budget permits to see if you think it's a further improvement or not worth the extra money.

What you don't want to do is change them both at the same time unless you can get an extended home trial with both and are "blown away" with it in comparison as if you haven't heard it and don't like the sound you don't know if it's the amp or the speakers.

harpoonk31

Feb 14, 2024
Visit site
I'd do speakers 1st and see if you feel it's a improvement and you may be happy with just that.

Once you've found the ones you like the sound of you can then compare / home trial other amps when budget permits to see if you think it's a further improvement or not worth the extra money.

What you don't want to do is change them both at the same time unless you can get an extended home trial with both and are "blown away" with it in comparison as if you haven't heard it and don't like the sound you don't know if it's the amp or the speakers.
Are home trials something you do through a hifi store?

Witterings

Are home trials something you do through a hifi store?

A lot of them will .... I've certainly had a few from Audio T who are my nearest dealers, best thing is speak to them and arrange in advance.
I've normally arranged to pick them up on a Friday afternoon or Sat morning, they're not open Mondays so I've had them until Tuesday before having to take them back which gives a decent period of time for listening.
I also bought a pair of ex demo speakers from Peter Tyson with a months return on them, I didn't get on with them and the return was at my expense but I bought something else they had instead.

Audio will always sound very different in your home to a dealers demo room which is normally acoustically treated so in a lot of ways I think store demos are a waste of time, you may be able to pick out specific characteristics of something you don't like in store i.e. too bright or not much detail but they can sound very different when you take them home.

Amazon do returns as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts