6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
_60896332_ie7taxpopup.jpg

Kogan.com:

"The amount of work and effort involved in making our website look normal on IE7 equalled the combined time of designing for Chrome, Safari and Firefox." :rofl:

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18440979

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
scene said:
Saw it, love it :grin:

Only issue is that "7" on the end... ;)

Unfair.

I understand why they don't want to support ancient versions, but if we're going off % then they should add the tax to Safari and Opera with just over 6% between them. IE has still a very good share, and it will probably increase with Windows 8, as IE10 is much better.

scene

fr0g said:
scene said:

Unfair.

I understand why they don't want to support ancient versions, but if we're going off % then they should add the tax to Safari and Opera with just over 6% between them. IE has still a very good share, and it will probably increase with Windows 8, as IE10 is much better.

Sorry, the 7 comment was meant in jest, and the wink was there to try to show I didn't really mean it in all seriousness...

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
fr0g said:
scene said:

Unfair.

Of course, if a product is popular/sells well, then by default it must be a quality product - and its sales success is no reflection on the naivety of consumers...

images

images

images

images

images

etc...

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant said:
fr0g said:
scene said:

Unfair.

Of course, if a product is popular/sells well, then by default it must be a quality product - and its sales success is no reflection on the naivety of consumers...

images

images

images

images

images

etc...

Ah, a strawman. Well done.

We're talking about a company getting fed up of having to support minor browsers, not the merits or otherwise of them. Personally I use Chrome. It's fast and syncs with Chrome on my phone. I also use Firefox from time to time as it's colour managed properly.

But if I was writing a web site and didn't have much time, I would probably drop older versions of IE, Safari and Opera from any compatibility checks. Not because of quality, but because there numbers are so low.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
fr0g said:
We're talking about a company getting fed up of having to support minor browsers, not the merits or otherwise of them.

Err, no, that WASN'T their point, it was the fact that IE7 doesn't work properly so takes a lot more effort to make it look right, the other browsers, regardless of their market share DO work properly, so don't require much effort to support. So in fact it IS the merits (or otherwise) of the individual browser that was the focus of their decision to charge extra.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts