Ideas on a phono cartridge

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys

I'm looking at getting a new turntable, the deck is a new one from SRM/Tech running a RB250 arm with Incognito rewire. I could do with some advice on a suitable cartridge. Have heard a deck with an Ortofon MC1 turbo, sounded great but was on a Project deck. Ortofon make so many models, I'm lost! Ideas?? I live in Berlin, and ortofon is widely available here, other names I'm not so sure of....

A

Anonymous

It's all a matter of taste but I love the Denon cartridges...
DL-103 or DL-160... Smooth sound.

A

Anonymous

Hi and that's for the commentsDenon and Goldring I can add to my hit list.My budget is say £150. I have a Naim pre/pwr/cd combo. Got that 'cause I loved the clear detailed sound. I'm looking for the same from my turntable. I prefer LPs over CDs for a lot of my music, more dynamic.Oh, I run a project tube boc via clearaudio cables if that helps.Really appreciate your help!

A

Anonymous

I'm using a Goldring 1042 MM cartridge on a Rega300 with Incognito re-wire and it sound excellent. Goldring have just brought out new models (the reviews don't suggest thay are much better) so you might pick up a 1042 cheap.

Jim

A

Anonymous

Thanks Jim, The goldring is still selling for approx 250euro here so will keep looking out for a cheaper one. Question, why did you opt for an MM over an MC?

A

Anonymous

I read lots of reviews, technical articles etc and they all pointed to the fact that a good MM would beat
a high output MC into an MM phonostage which was all I had at the time. I admit I've now picked up
an MC headamp and thinking about MC. Again, the low cost MCs don't get great reviews so I'm looking
at the Ortofon Rondo Bronze at £500 - which looks like the sort of price where the MM/MC diference
really kicks in.

ps I strongly recommend the Michell TechnoWeight upgrade to the Rega arm, it made an instant and
very obvious difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts