I wonder if DTS will provide an Atmos alternative?

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, its called DTS MDA ( Multi Dimensional Audio ), a quick search online shows its similar to Atmos but with a different speaker setup using two levels of side speakers and three rows of ceiling mounted speakers plus in the picture I found on a website what looked like two subs mounted on the ceiling as well.*crazy*

Looks like I'll need a bigger room.

*dance4*

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hello again Macdiddy, while you are planning your bigger room it would be nice if you could give a link to the page you found, the one with the two levels of side speakers, three rows of ceiling speakers etc?

Sliced Bread

bigboss said:
I think a firmware update should be enough to include the capability. But if you're keen on it, wait until the new year for more details and confirmation.

Yes, though according to Dolby, Dolby Atmos should be compatible with any receiver up to 2 years old with a firmware update as it uses existing technology. But none of the manufacturers have done this.

I'm sure it'll be the sae with the DTS option, as it's an excuse to shift more units *sorry2*

<EDIT: Note I can't find the reference for this, but I remember reading it a few months back>

Sliced Bread

Nice MacDiddy, that's helpful.

I'm not sure I'm sold on a different speaker configuration to Atmos, because we'd either have to move our speakers when we select a different sound format, choose a compromised position or most likely choose one and stuff the other.

Hopefully they'll have a re-think, but I think in the mean time i'll wait for the DTS receivers...I'm guessing 2015, maybe 2016 unless some really good material comes out for Atmos *dance4*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts