I want to stream music

camcroft

Hi. At the moment I use a Bluetooth music reciever ( dongle ) connected to my aux imput of my amp I can only use music stored on my Ipod / Ipad. I would like to play music from my pc`s hard drive .My pc doesnt have Bluetooth capability what would the most simple cost effective way be to be able to stream music fom my pc without spending a fortune.Please help :help:

A

Anonymous

Depends on how much a "fortune" is to you. A simple way is via a Squeezebox Touch for example, that costs around £200.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
+1 for the Squeezebox Touch, in my opinion nothing comes close for the price. You can use it in a budget system or with an external DAC I'd be happy to use mine in a fairly mid-level set up. I have plans to upgrade my speakers, a new pre-amp and and better DAC but the Touch will stay for years to come I'm sure. My power amp aside it's the only bit of kit I have no pkans to change for the foreseeable future.

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi Camcroft,

+1 for the Squeezebox Touch. If you've already got a wireless network you don't need to buy anything else, however you do need to install LogitechMediaServer on your PC where all your music is. You can download it from http://www.mysqueezebox.com/download

A cheaper alternative is to use an Apple Airport Express at £79. If you're interested in video streaming an Apple TV is also worth looking at.

A

Anonymous

You shouldn't need anything more.

The squeezebox proprietary software needs to be installed on your PC, its free. That will compile a library of your ripped music so it can send the digital music files (FLAC, WAV, MP3 etc) to the SBT device over the network.

You will need both your PC and SBT connected via a network, so assume you already have a network router which you would almost certainly have if you have broadband for example.

The SBT plugs into your aux input. Job done.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
You won't need anything else, you music is stored on a folder on your computer, your squeezebox accesses your folder via the network (wired or wireless) and you connect you SB to your amp via the RCA cables. You could use the digital out on the Touch to an external DAC but I wouldn't bother. The DAC on the Touch is very good and you'd need to spend more than the Touch again to better it, as well as having a revealing system.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
If you use iTunes, as mentioned, an Airport Express (or an Apple TV) is cheaper (£70 to £80 for AEX and £99 for ATV2). By default, it will only stream music in your iTunes Library, but you can get software called Airfoil ($25 or roughly £16) which will allow you to stream any sound from your PC or Mac. If you have an iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad, your music can be controlled through the Remote app.

If you don't have a wireless network already, Airport Express is all you need - the Apple TV will need an existing wireless and will also need a digital input on your amp (so you would need an external DAC to use with your Marantz), but has other obvious benefits if you can plug it into your TV. There is more than likely going to be a new Apple TV released at 6pm today (ATV3?) though so watch the WHF news page around this time if you're interested in it.

The main downside to the above is, although the Airport Express does have an analogue output so can be connected directly to your hi-fi, it's not going to sound as good as the Squeezebox - simply because the built in DAC is not going to be as good. This can be rememdied by an external DAC at some point, but adds to complexity and of course cost. Also, since it's only natively compatible with iTunes, it's more of a faff to use if your music isn't stored in there.

If your PC is close to your hi-fi, a straight wired connection would be the cheapest way of course!

A

Anonymous

As above I'd agree...

Im currently running an ATV2 via a digital out to a CYP DAC and that's connected via a Chord CrimsonPlus to my amp and using my home wireless network to stream via ITunes/AirPlay...

Sounds fantastic currently and no issues with loss of network etc...

Did have the Marantz CR603 beforehand but wanted to go back to a basic amp set as the Marantz has more capabilities than I actually need...

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
+1 for Squeezebox.

There's a nice smartphone remote available. Free on Android and iPhone, paid (3rd party) on Winphone.

And you'll get all the music streaming services such as Tune In radio, Shoutcast, BBC radio etc etc and the likes of Spotify if you're a premium member.

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
DJEPSON said:
is this a better way than going down the Sonos route, which I am currently looking into ?

Sonos : has it's own MESH network (each device acts as a network repeater) so good for large houses, lots of products in their line up (Play 3, Play 5, etc.), doesn't support hi-res (not an issue IMO but others differ).

Squeezebox : Plays pretty much anything, iPlayer app is very useful, uses existing wireless (or wired) network, now only 2 devices on the line up (Touch and Radio) and unclear if Logitech are really commited to the range. Cheaper than Sonos.

Both Sonos and Squeezebox allow multi-room synchronised or independent playback. Feedback from users is that Squeezebox requires slightly higher levels of 'IT' skills than Sonos to setup.

Apple : Includes video as well as audio streaming, doesn't support as many audio formats, not really set up for independent zones playing different music.

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Another recommendation for Squeezebox Touch here. I now have all my FLAC music files stored on a 2x2TB NAS drive connected via the Router to the SBT, so unless adding new music, no need for the PC to be on. Works and sounds great; better than my Cyrus CD8X to my ears. Total outlay has been:

£135 for the SBT (when those lightning bolt offers were around);

£230 for the 2 bay NAS drive including a 2TB Hard drive;

£90 for an extra 2TB hard drive as a back-up.

Sorted.

Currently listening to: Prolapse - Ghosts of Dead Aeroplanes

SteveR750

Gusboll said:
Another recommendation for Squeezebox Touch here. I now have all my FLAC music files stored on a 2x2TB NAS drive connected via the Router to the SBT, so unless adding new music, no need for the PC to be on. Works and sounds great; better than my Cyrus CD8X to my ears. Total outlay has been:

£135 for the SBT (when those lightning bolt offers were around);

£230 for the 2 bay NAS drive including a 2TB Hard drive;

£90 for an extra 2TB hard drive as a back-up.

Sorted.

Currently listening to: Prolapse - Ghosts of Dead Aeroplanes

Great isn't it?

I found the same with my PC set up compared to the CD6SE.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi camcroft .. what is the make and model of the Bluetooth dongle you are using to feed into your amp? Is it a QED uPlay by any chance? If it is, then for about £30 - £40 you could get an apt-x USB dongle for your PC and stream audio over Bluetooth. The "apt-x" is the important bit since the audio will be of higher quality than the normal Bluetooth audio profile. For the small amount I have mentioned you could have a half decent streaming solution using your PC as source.

camcroft

Hi.And thanks.I am using a Jays Bluestreamer 2 and I must say the sound quality is not bad at all just need to up the volume slightly it picks up from my Ipod Touch`s bluetooth funtion.Do you think the apt x dongle will work with it and if so how.Cheers.Alex

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
camcroft said:
Hi.And thanks.I am using a Jays Bluestreamer 2 and I must say the sound quality is not bad at all just need to up the volume slightly it picks up from my Ipod Touch`s bluetooth funtion.Do you think the apt x dongle will work with it and if so how.Cheers.Alex

The apt-x Bluetooth is only a fairly small range of devices (for the moment) ranging from low end consmer products to very expensive stuff from Chord Electronics. Whilst not as good as wired or 802.11 wireless solutions, it is cost effective, easy to use, and the sound quality can be very good ... I will hazard a guess that it will be better than your current Bluetooth setup.

So for a cheap apt-x setup, to transmit from your PC/music player you would need ...

One of these for your PC (£40)

http://uk.store.creative.com/headphones-headsets/bt-w1/437-20867.aspx

Or alternatively one of these for your iPod Touch (£40)

http://uk.store.creative.com/speakers/creative-bluetooth-audio-bt-d5-iphone-ipod-transmitter/4-19612.aspx

To receive the aptx over Bluetooth and connect to your amp:

You will need one of these (£55)

http://www.my-uplay.co.uk/

or one of these (£45)

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/accessories/entertainment/home-audio/nokia-wireless-music-receiver/features

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts