I want a more dynamic sound!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Marantz cd-6000ki, Marantz pm7200ki and Kef Q3 speakers. Although I am generally happy with the sound of my hifi, a couple of years ago my brother brought over a Cambridge 640 cd player and we did a comparison. Immediately, I noticed the sound to be more slightly more dynamic and tighter against a much softer sounding Marantz player. This led me to think that my cd player wasn't up to scratch. The thing is, if I was to replace my cd player with a new one, how much should I be spending to get a real improvement in sound quality? Would the new top budget cd players (Cambridge, Nad and Marantz) really be that much better or should I be spending a lot more and go for something in the Roksan / Cyrus price range? Any suggestions?

I like a range of music from classical, jazz to rock.

Thanks
emotion-1.gif

sruffell:

I have a Marantz cd-6000ki, Marantz pm7200ki and Kef Q3 speakers. Although I am generally happy with the sound of my hifi, a couple of years ago my brother brought over a Cambridge 640 cd player and we did a comparison. Immediately, I noticed the sound to be more slightly more dynamic and tighter against a much softer sounding Marantz player. This led me to think that my cd player wasn't up to scratch. The thing is, if I was to replace my cd player with a new one, how much should I be spending to get a real improvement in sound quality? Would the new top budget cd players (Cambridge, Nad and Marantz) really be that much better or should I be spending a lot more and go for something in the Roksan / Cyrus price range? Any suggestions?

I like a range of music from classical, jazz to rock.

Thanks
emotion-1.gif

If you're happy with your Brother's Cambridge, try and seek out one of those from Richer Sounds. However, if you could stretch your budget to around £450 (this is a bit of a long shot) and your not overly worried by looks, look at something like Cyrus CD6S. That machine is fabulously dynamic, although it may lack the bottom end clout of other price compatible machines.

Otherwise look at some the latest generation Nad players or even Cambridge Azur 740.

A

Anonymous

Bottom end clout is important as I have a hearing loss at high frequency, so low to mid-range is key for me!!

sruffell:Bottom end clout is important as I have a hearing loss at high frequency, so low to mid-range is key for me!!

If you want bottom end grunt without the woolliness, Roksan Kandy MKIII, s/hand, comes in around £450 mark. Or Exposure 2010S is another machine that really packs a punch, and my personal favourite around that price bracket.

A

Anonymous

Grab yourself a Beresford DAC. Bargain price and you'll make gains in sound quality and flexibility. You can connect a PC in future if you so wish, DVD players, TVs, etc.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
georgejack:

You could always attenuate your cd output / amp input.

Attenuation lowers the cd players output voltage which has a number of positive effects;

• Reduces clipping on the pre-amp
  • Increases dynamics at lower volume levels
  • Increases the signal to noise ratio
  • Reduces 'brightness'

There are a few ways to do this, the simplist way is to buy some in-line plug-in attenuators from Rothwell for around £30 or £90 for Russ Andrews supplied WBT plugs. If you're into DIY and handy with a soldering iron, you can break the input tracks on the PCB and add 4 £1 certain value resistors and 30 minutes later, hey presto.

Just to mention, I tried the Beresford DAC as mentioned in the post above and I didn't keep it very long. I suppose it's a good thing if you're planning on using compressed audio but if you're sticking with CD, spend it on more music.

Hope that helps?

I think i just will buy a pair of Rothwell attenuators after reading about them. My volume is very sensetive and if it improves sound it's a win win situation. I have seen them on their site for 39£ anyone seen them cheaper?

I also read some positive comments about high end fuses for amps and other components, but with that you defenitly have to open up your component(s).

T

the record spot

From memory the CD6000KI is a bit of a relaxed listen, so this could be why it's not ticking the right boxes for you if this is the case. It might be that either the new CA650C will do the trick, or, if you want to look at a rockier used option, the original Exposure 2010 apparently has a bit more beef to it. I know occasional contributor here, Thaiman, rates it highly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts