I want a future proof player..please advise

themannsindorset

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
I am new to this so please bear with me. I want a quality mains powered stereo speaker that does ALL of the following:

1. Plays music or internet stuff (i.e, Tune in radio) by plugging in my elderly Iphone 5s with earlier bottom connector OR my wife's more modern Iphone with the new bottom connector.

2. Plays streaming stuff via bluetooth from both our iphones and (this is the important bit) any of the new Alexa type products coming out. I.e. Google home and whatever Apple is working on. So IT HAS TO BE FUTURE PROOF. So for example..I instruct an Alexa unit to play music via my new speakers.

I quite like the look of Bose and Bowers & Wilks etc but do not have the time to plough through the sales data. Can someone kindly give me a list of manufacturers and models that do all of the above. I would be grateful.

I realise that having an earlier connector might limit my choice so don't let that stop you. I would just have to update my phone thats all.

thanks

peter

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
A future proof player for an outdated mobile phone from yesterday. I believe that you see that there is, at least, one major problem in your choice.

And, personally, I can't predict the technological future. Happy those who does.

It's a big ask to expect anyone here to do your homework for you!

For the first need you could do worse, given no idea of your budget, than one of the Audio Pro speakers. They use airplay, which need no connectors from your iThings. And when that is defunct, you have wired or optical connections. More here...:-

http://www.whathifi.com/products/hi-fi/wireless-speakers?achievement=award-winners

Maybe Bluetooth will survive a bit longer, but anything wireless will go out of date sooner or later just like your phones have. As to Alexa, I've no idea!

Welcome to the forum, anyway!

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
A.) Buy any mains powered Bluetooth speaker you like the look / price / sound of and make sure it has a 3.5mm auxiliary input.

B.) Buy an Amazon Echo dot.

C.) Plug B. into A. using a 3.5mm aux cable or connect B. to A. via Bluetooth

D.) Do not buy a dock for either the old style 30pin or new Lightning iPhone connectors

Sonos will fit your bill perfectly. You will be able to instruct Alexa to play off Sonos from early next year. You don't need to plug your iPhone to it for Tune in radio....it will play directly from the internet. It'll also pull music off your phone or NAS drive.

Play:5 has a line in to connect Echo Dot. Otherwise, you can independently operate Amazon Echo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts