I very ignorant question but...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I know that a 5.1 surround home cinema set-up can also be used for listening to music with reasonable results. But is the opposite true? Can a decent hi-fi set-up be used for TV - eg connecting a TV to the amp and speakers and running the sound through them? Is this advisable? Would any other equipment be needed?

Thanks for any advice - it is greatly appreciated.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, no problem at all, provided your TV or set-top box has stereo analogue outputs to feed the hi-fi, or the amplifier you use has a digital input to match any outputs on the TV or STB.

A

Anonymous

Andrew, thanks for the quick response. If I was equally interested in TV and music, would it simply be a case of personal preference over which way to go? e.g. would it be better to buy a home cinema 5.1 set-up or get a decent music set-up? I have the old Kef KTH 2005 speakers but the sub is broken. I am thinking that keeping the KEFs for the rear speakers makes sense but would it then be better to get a receiver and home cinema biased front/centre speakers (perhaps more KEFs) and sub or a more hi-fi biased amp and stereo speaker set up?

I appreciate that these are probably deeply ignorant questions but I am keen to learn more, so appreciate any advice. I have recently moved home and want to get things set up properly before redecorating the lounge.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

If you wanted surround sound, a dedicated AV receiver would be the obvious option. The difficult part would be finding one which plays stereo as good as a dedicated 2 channel amp - which they generally don't. As long as you can accept this compromise I'd recommend an AV amp.

Audition at your local dealer and take your own music with you - ask them to set up with KEF speakers and take your own 2005 set for surround duty. You may only need to purchase 3 eggs for front and a sub if you are happy with the 2005's at the rear.

You may prefer the sound of slightly larger fronts for stereo duty (bookshelf or floor standers) which could match with the KEF set up.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

It depends on your budget to a degree, if for example you had the budget something like the Arcam AVR600 for around £3500 or the AVR500 around £2000 with some KEF Q700 for L & R and the centre to match, These would sound excellent for movies and music.

If you let us know a budget and room size / speaker preference we could point you in the right direction, of course you would be best advised to audition anything you short list for yourself.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to both Cofnchtr and markjaspi for taking the time to answer. So, my room is about 15ft by 19ft and my budget for an AV receiver, subwoofer, front and centre speakers is probably up to £2.5k. This assumes keeping my current KEFs as the rear speakers. Would sticking with KEF make sense for the other speakers and sub? Happy to have floor standers. The complicating factor is that my wife wants to keep a fireplace as the centre of the room so the TV would have to go into a corner (as I don't want to have the TV high up above the fireplace). This is not ideal but I don't suppose that I will be the first person to suffer this! Is it even worth having surround sound with a TV in the corner?

Again, any help is really appreciated. I've have learned a huge amount looking around this site and on these forums.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi Marius, concerning the corner set-up and fireplace issue...this is exactly the situation I have. And it does not cause a problem.

I have put the tv on a good wide tiered stand across the corner, and I have even built a triangular platform to fit behind the tv to sit above the wires/plugs etc, and put my subwoofer on. Just a bit of hardboard (plus some wooden laminate flooring left over from the lounge floor screwed on top, and three adjustable legs for a quid each from B+Q). Wife very happy as no wires (or subwoofer) at all visible when we sit and watch tv. Will try to take some pics and upload.

A

Anonymous

DandyCobalt, where do you place your speakers? Is it just a case of having the left and right either side of the TV and then placing the back ones as best as you can? I'd be interested to see where you put them.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Well you don't have to stick with the same manufacturer for fronts and rears, but it's advisable if possible (it's more important to keep the front three matched).

With that budget I would look at the yamaha RXV3067 (£1,099) and the KEF Q500 (£699) L&R, KEF q200c (£350), if you still weren't happy with the stereo performance, you could still add a A-S500 stereo amp and use the pre-outs and still come in on budget.

Alternative AVRs I would look at are the pioneer LX73 or Onkyo 1008 or 808.

Alternative speakers possibly the Monitor Audion RX6 & RXC but not sure how they will tie in with the 2005, should be ok though.

A

Anonymous

Thanks markjaspi, I'll take a look at those ideas. As has been mentioned, the best idea would be to trial them. I was pretty happy with the KEF KHT set up and Yamaha receiver but the sub is broken so I thought it might be time to upgrade before we redecorate (we have just moved). My wife's main concern is that it looks neat, without wires everywhere (as it was previously) so I was thinking of getting the wires laid under the carpet.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
marius1:

Is it even worth having surround sound with a TV in the corner?

To my mind yes, whilst it may not be a perfect text book set up the atmosphere and effects of the surround sound are still there.

I would imagine a lot of us have to put up with "weird" arrangements in rooms plus trying to accomodate what the oh wants.

Just go for it and enjoy.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
My front left and right are as far from the tv as I can get them (about 70cm), and as far forward as I can too, about 50cm, away from the walls. I've mounted the side left/right eggs on the walls at about ear level, and the rear (i only have space for one at the moment) is on a cabinet in back corner of room at ear level (about four feet from my usual spot on the sofa).

For the wires around the walls, I've used some self-adhesive white plastic trunking attached to the bottom of the skirting boards. and corner-shaped ones up the walls and in corners (painted to match the walls). They disappear from view. Wife very happy with the setup :)

A

Anonymous

Hi Marius1

I have posted this elsewhere, but for £864:00 you could get the Onkyo TX-NR1008 Receiver, it's a 9.2 system so allows for growth should you need it. RRP is £1300:00 and it is only £60ish more than the TX-NR808 at Richer Sounds!

You can buy it from HERE but I'd be quick before they add the new VAT rate. It is currently out of stock but can still be ordered and if you add the code return4 at the checkout you will get the further £36:00 reduction, leaving you £1700 plus for your speakers
emotion-3.gif

It is an awesome beast; 50lbs in weight and another chap on a different forum bought one and is thrilled with it :)

Sorry mods, won't do it again!

Regards

emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I'm by no means an expert and your budget is beyond my means however I had the same problem with corners and girlfriends as you. My solution was to offset to the corner and run the Auto setup function on my amp. Then I sat down and watched clips of James bond films on Blu Ray. The car chases, gun fights and the theme music I found very useful for getting the balance of all the speakers. The sub is perhaps the hardest to integrate well but play some R&B and if you have it turned up too much it will be very apparent.

The left is crammed in the corner next to the TV. The center is slightly offset under the right hand edge of the TV with the left and sub down the side of the Sofa. Cinema buffs will have a fit over the speaker placement but a lot of people have no choice.

5328203746_83c5ae917c.jpg

The rear placement I found the hardest and contrary to some advice I found it best when they pointed directly at the listening position. the stands are a DIY and are a work in progress. Photo taken from fireplace. (lager glass obviously an important feature that took a long time to get right)

5328208810_9c014bb57e.jpg

Speaker cables are easily hidden under the carpet. I payed a fitter £30 to come in and run the cable around the edges of the room. All they do is slice out a slither of the under carpet. I had normal round speaker cable and I can't see the difference but you can buy flat cable that is even easier to hide. I would factor in a fair proportion of your budget for cables, especially HDMI if you don't already have them.

I went down to sevenoaks and told the man my budget and gave him a diagram of my room. He wanted to sell me KEF eggs because of the space( which in hindsight would have been better I think) but I wanted floorstanders and he adapted to that. He made me a cup of tea and sat me in their test room and we spent all day testing various things out and discussing the details. Despite my smallish budget they made an effort and I was happy.

True a dedicated stereo player will always be better than a similar priced AVR at playing music however I would suggest that only the serious music buffs will be unhappy with an AVR's stab at it. The benefit of an AVR is that most now have loads of features that your TV or BD player might not do ie stream iplayer or upscale DVDs.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to all for the advice. It is greatly appreciated. One further question, I presume that I would need a subwoofer as well (as mine is kaput) so should I try and stick with the same brand as the speakers? If I were to follow the advice given to buy KEF Q series speakers (about £1k for front 3 I think) what sort of budget should be allowed for the sub?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

You don't have to keep the same make for the sub, although I understand the new KEFs are good. Depends on your budget but I have the B&W 610 an award winner at £400. you could also look for the Monitor Audio RSW12 (but they might be hard to come by), some others on here have purchased some ex- demo / cosmetically damaged subs and are very happy with them. Your best looking around with the various retailers and seeing what offers they have on and then search for a review.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts