I saw a Samsung OLED TV today

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
So for the second thread running a subject decends into farce because of one dubious member, yawn! I gave up reading through the demise of plasma thread because of that and it was a subject I was interested in commenting on but once the mud slinging started I lost all interest so can we please stick to the subject this time? I know it's annoying and frustrating but one thread has already been ruined so can we not let this one turn into a repeat copy...please :pray:

Anyway back on subject and it's far too early for anyone to really judge OLED yet as the only sets on the market are of the £6000 55 inch varients for early adopters and if history tells us anything they certainly won't represent what your average consumer receives when they get down to the £2000 real world figure after a few years development. It's inevitable that advances will be made in that time that will make the tech perform better, have a longer life and iron out a few bugs and only then can we really judge the merits of OLED TVs.

In that time 4K material may well have appeared on disc or on internet services and the TV market may have shifted focus so perhaps only a 4K OLED TV will be where it gets judged but it's far too early in it's life to say if it's the next big technological advance in TVs. It still has inherent design issues as it stands due to the blue degradation and limited perceived life along with the high cost of production due to how many screens are currently being thrown away in production.

It looks promising and the reviews for the Samsung are very positive but would I buy one if I had £6000 to spend on a new TV? No and for all the reasons above. It may even be the case that OLED quietly slips away as the market changes and at the moment it's a bit like trying to look through a crystal ball and taking a £6000 gamble. I'm looking forward to seeing one but right now count me as cautiously enthusiastic.

Will be interesting to see if the curved screens take off too as I'm not a fan due to the fact that I wall mount my TVs and always have so I'm looking forward to a review of a flat OLED TV that can be wall mounted.

Agreed.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
When are more suppose to come out? :?

Well according to the AV forums review of the Samsung...'Samsung will be launching a flat OLED screen next year'.

That would tie into Panasonics planned 4K OLED release for next year or at least I think it's next year but don't quote me on that, of course LG may well have a second generation by then as they were first to market with OLED but I've no idea of their plans. I'm sure someone more informed would have far more details and of course Sony has yet to show it's hand either.

It's very early right now for OLED and next year should see far more news and releases.

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
gel said:
When are more suppose to come out? :?

Well according to the AV forums review of the Samsung...'Samsung will be launching a flat OLED screen next year'.

That would tie into Panasonics planned 4K OLED release for next year or at least I think it's next year but don't quote me on that, of course LG may well have a second generation by then as they were first to market with OLED but I've no idea of their plans. I'm sure someone more informed would have far more details and of course Sony has yet to show it's hand either.

It's very early right now for OLED and next year should see far more news and releases.

I think Sony and Panasonic are working together, aren't they?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:

Yes it's a joint venture for OLED between Sony and Panasonic but only Panasonic have shown an actual OLED TV to date so exactly what Sony are doing with OLED is anyones guess...they have of course released that monster 4K LED TV but they have not shown off an OLED that I'm aware of :?

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
gel said:

Yes it's a joint venture for OLED between Sony and Panasonic but only Panasonic have shown an actual OLED TV to date so exactly what Sony are doing with OLED is anyones guess...they have of course released that monster 4K LED TV but they have not shown off an OLED that I'm aware of :?

Nope I haven't seen a Sony OLED. A bit on Panasonic and Sony here:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1383312908

D

Deleted member 2457

LG one here:

http://www.johnlewis.com/lg-55ea980w-oled-full-hd-3d-smart-tv-55-with-freeview-hd-and-2x-3d-glasses/p797177?kpid=232564932&s_kenid=5d1d09ec-b2b7-a649-ab55-00007920f40b&s_kwcid=ppc_pla&tmad=c&tmcampid=73

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
Oldboy said:
gel said:

Sony have been making 25" OLED monitors for broadcast use for the past couple of years - we have 10 of them where I work and I use one every day - so they probably know far more than any of the other manufacturers about getting the best out of the technology as the requirements for broadcast monitors are far higher than that of domestic televisions. The Sony OLEDs were the only monitor which matched and in many respects, outperformed the HD CRT monitors which were rapidly wearing out and needed replacing - some of the supposed LCD Grade 1 broadcast monitors which we had for assesment were truly appalling - I shall not however, be naming and shaming! Sony actually won an engineering emmy last year for their OLED screens too.

http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/article/broadcast-products-trimaster-el-oled-monitor-receives-2012

Rob

D

Deleted member 2457

robjcooper said:
gel said:
Oldboy said:
gel said:

Sony have been making 25" OLED monitors for broadcast use for the past couple of years - we have 10 of them where I work and I use one every day - so they probably know far more than any of the other manufacturers about getting the best out of the technology as the requirements for broadcast monitors are far higher than that of domestic televisions. The Sony OLEDs were the only monitor which matched and in many respects, outperformed the HD CRT monitors which were rapidly wearing out and needed replacing - some of the supposed LCD Grade 1 broadcast monitors which we had for assesment were truly appalling - I shall not however, be naming and shaming! Sony actually won an engineering emmy last year for their OLED screens too.

http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/article/broadcast-products-trimaster-el-oled-monitor-receives-2012

Rob

:cheers:

D

Deleted member 2457

Thanks for the OLED info WHF:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/oled-tv-reviews-news-and-everything-you-need-to-know

:cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts