I saw a Samsung OLED TV today

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

I had a demo of this in John Lewis today:

http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ke55s9c-oled-full-hd-3d-smart-tv-55-with-freeview-hd-and-2x-3d-glasses/p641811

Not that impressed to be honest. The black levels didn't look anything special. It was bright (but not too bright) and was very clear. Viewing angles looked fine. I will have to demo it again.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
They had one on display at the top of the escalators in John Lewis, Kingston when I popped in on Saturday. Seemed to be attracting quite a lot of interest, though the price raised a few eyebrows.

D

Deleted member 2457

Andy Clough said:
They had one on display at the top of the escalators in John Lewis, Kingston when I popped in on Saturday. Seemed to be attracting quite a lot of interest, though the price raised a few eyebrows.

Yep, exactly the same as ours! :)

T

theflyingwasp

I'm pretty fed up with this already.its going to be a long time till a 80 inch (80 being a good size to appreciate 4k)4k tv is affordable and the whole oled thing is just as expensive ,ok they have an absolute 0 black level but my ZT is something like 0.004 or 0.003 .

I'm not going to upgrade to 4k with nothing to watch and I'm not going to upgrade to oled for very little picture improvement and dropping screen size.im sure a 55inch oled is the biggest you can buy at the moment.

I understand the technology has to start somewhere but 7grand for a 55inch oled and the same for the sony 65 inch 4k with nothing to watch,the whole up scaling HD to 4k farce is the same as DVD being upscaled to blu ray.

I'd be first in line if there was a 80inch 4k tv at 5 grand with an affordable 4k blu/red ray player with movies to play on it but that's going to be a while away.

I wasn't blown away with the 4k tv I saw in John Lewis and I don't expect to be blown away with oled either.

This years flagship tvs from Sony Samsung and panasonic are going to take something special next year to make the people who bought them upgrade,the calibrators at the value electronics show even said they were nitpicking this year.there was very little improvement on last years flagship tvs.

Speaking of calibration I'm getting my zt65 calibrated next weekend so I can only assume it will look even better giving me more reason not to bother with 4k and oled.

Does anyone know anyone who bought the 25grand 84inch 4k tv I'd love to hear there thoughts and review of it,I actually wonder how much of them they sold in the U.K.

D

Deleted member 2457

Joe Cox said:
Related... https://www.facebook.com/whathifi.com/posts/10151901794524284

:)

Nice one! :)

I will have to demo it again for black levels.

D

Deleted member 2457

simonlewis said:
Would you be tempted if it was £5000 cheaper, i think i would i would save up and buy next year. :)

I will have to demo it again with something like one of the Batmans. It was on one of their clips (I think), and it was quite hard to judge. I did remind me a bit of my VT65, but my VT65 cost £1469! Lol :grin: I am quite happy after that for sure, but I need to see some more material first. It was better than a Samsung LED, the brightness was about perfect.

jlyt16

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Was speaking to a sony rep after Christmas and asked how the 84inch sold and he said sony uk sold out of their allocated 30 units. Also he mentioned George Michael bought one! Would be interesting to know how many have sold since January.

D

Deleted member 2457

I had another look at it today, and this time I saw a lot more material and it was good, very good. The black levels are really good, not quite sure they are what I was expecting though but very good. I think I am most impressed with how clear and clean the image was. I am not sure what setting it was on but did go very bright - probably too bright for me, I guess it was probably on dynamic though. It was on a Samsung OLED demo disc just repeating.

It was good though but not quite sure it was what I was expecting it to be. I will be looking forward to demo other brands.

D

Deleted member 2457

These certainly seem impressed with it too:

http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television/samsung-ke55s9c-p17087/test.html#full-review

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Though motion handling seems questionable.

We need to see how the tech develops and what other manufacturers can do. Contained enthusiasm is probably the appropriate response.

I think we need to take a long hard look at ourselves and admit that LED is the future, for now. ;)

A

Anonymous

The future is 4k led and oled for movies,however 1080p gaming will be with us for long while, Led 1080p is also the future - so do not quote me out of context as curtesy.

You should head over to avforum and see everything oled is that plasma cannot be.You be be gutted strap? Black levels measured as 0.0000cd/m2. Whites as bright as as Led

So when you be getting one? Then have it calibrated and tell us all about it.

Energy use of the Oled set is exemplary.Green credentials!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Gamemaker said:
The future is 4k led and oled for movies,however 1080p gaming will be with us for long while, Led 1080p is also the future - so do not quote me out of context!

As always, I've got no idea what you're talking about.

Gamemaker said:
You should head over to avforum and see everything oled is that plasma cannot be.

Thanks for making me aware of AV Forums. I hadn't come across that website before.

Gamemaker said:
You be be gutted strap

Where's the nearest high building?

A

Anonymous

stop making sacastic quotes as you would not want it done to you. This thread is about Oled pure and simply and you want to drag some other comments from another thread.Don't. I only posted here when I saw your nonsense.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
So for the second thread running a subject decends into farce because of one dubious member, yawn! I gave up reading through the demise of plasma thread because of that and it was a subject I was interested in commenting on but once the mud slinging started I lost all interest so can we please stick to the subject this time? I know it's annoying and frustrating but one thread has already been ruined so can we not let this one turn into a repeat copy...please :pray:

Anyway back on subject and it's far too early for anyone to really judge OLED yet as the only sets on the market are of the £6000 55 inch varients for early adopters and if history tells us anything they certainly won't represent what your average consumer receives when they get down to the £2000 real world figure after a few years development. It's inevitable that advances will be made in that time that will make the tech perform better, have a longer life and iron out a few bugs and only then can we really judge the merits of OLED TVs.

In that time 4K material may well have appeared on disc or on internet services and the TV market may have shifted focus so perhaps only a 4K OLED TV will be where it gets judged but it's far too early in it's life to say if it's the next big technological advance in TVs. It still has inherent design issues as it stands due to the blue degradation and limited perceived life along with the high cost of production due to how many screens are currently being thrown away in production.

It looks promising and the reviews for the Samsung are very positive but would I buy one if I had £6000 to spend on a new TV? No and for all the reasons above. It may even be the case that OLED quietly slips away as the market changes and at the moment it's a bit like trying to look through a crystal ball and taking a £6000 gamble. I'm looking forward to seeing one but right now count me as cautiously enthusiastic.

Will be interesting to see if the curved screens take off too as I'm not a fan due to the fact that I wall mount my TVs and always have so I'm looking forward to a review of a flat OLED TV that can be wall mounted.

TRENDING THREADS