I need to extend my speaker cable....

kevsta1970

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi, hopefully someone on the forums can provide me with some advice with the issue I am currently facing.

The room has just been decorated and the provided speaker cable has been run and placed in walls etc. Unfortunately I have not been left with the expeected amount of cable protruding from the wall. As I see I now only really have 2 options: -

i) Get a wall mounted speaker plate and then connect to my amp with banana plugs and additional lengths of cable. Seems a good option although the height of the wall plate means that it might not be hidden by furniture which may not impress the better half too much

ii) Join 2 lengths of cable together to give me the required length. If going this route what options do I have? Is the 'twist the 2 cables together' recommended or will it be best to solder.

Grateful for peoples advice. I need to get moving on this before some of the finishing touches on the room are performed

scene

If you've put your cable in trunking in the wall you could pull through some new cable, which is the best solution.

Actually - how short are you, and could you pull a bit more cable through and reduce the amount at the other end?

Joining speaker cable isn't really such a good idea, and the faceplate solution is the best of a bad world, but I realise it may not meet with OH approval :mad:

A

Anonymous

I had to join some cable together for my rear speakers, so I twisted and then soldered the joint, then used electrical tape to cover it. I can't say I've had any problems with anything at all and it sounds fine to me :)

scene

eean said:
I had to join some cable together for my rear speakers, so I twisted and then soldered the joint, then used electrical tape to cover it. I can't say I've had any problems with anything at all and it sounds fine to me :)

Actually, good point. If it's for the rear speakers, joining cable shouldn't be so much of an issue - depends on the cable. What is the cable?

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Solder and heatshrink would give the best and neatest result but I suppose you could simply use something like a wago connector with some insulating tape.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
d4v3pum4 said:
Solder and heatshrink would give the best and neatest result but I suppose you could simply use something like a wago connector with some insulating tape.

My local dealer offered to solder some extra on to mine.

kevsta1970

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for all the responses. I will be going with the twist and solder option as pulling through additional cable will prove difficult due to the 'route' taken through ceiling etc

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
kevsta1970 said:
ii) Join 2 lengths of cable together to give me the required length. If going this route what options do I have? Is the 'twist the 2 cables together' recommended or will it be best to solder.

iii) Use the Surround Power amp channels to bi-amp the front and Wireless connection to the rear speakers (possibly active speakers)

I am saying iii only to show the other possibilities. But if the rear speakers are already purchased then this option possibly does not make sense.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts