I need solutions to achieve the setup i want

autrepensee

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Hello and thank you for reading,

Let me start by saying that I do not have a TV. I have a Dell U27 monitor through which I play video and sound (it has a jack output). Now let me describe what I am trying to achieve.

I play movies and videos on my computer, either via files/streaming or via a blu-ray player (rarely). I also have a chromecast (1st gen) through which I play videos and audio. My motherboard is the Asus Z87i deluxe which has several audio output options (but right now I use display port). The chromecast itself is hdmi.

What I'd like to do:

I would like to have a good quality setup which allows me to play audio from either my computer or the chromecast most likely without passing through the screen (which only has one single jack stereo out). I am looking for something that offers me high fidelity audio without breaking the bank and with a modest footprint. I also eventually want to setup multi room audio. It would be hard for me to setup 5 speakers in my leaving room as running cables would prove difficult. It is doable but not preferred.

Obviously I first looked at the sonos playbar. But I quickly realized even though it has an optical input which i could connect to my motherboard, it does not have DTS.

What are my other options?

For multi room audio, I am thinking of using the new updated chromecast which will eventually provide that functionality. For this I would also need advice on independant powered speakers to which i could plug the chromecast (even though I realize this is not the proper forum for this specific question).

As for the living room chromecast, I know there exists HDMI splitters which split video and audio. I dont know if that would be the correct approach.

All I have ever had thus far in my life are logitech 5.1 analog speaker systems. I am looking for something higher fidelity (is analog or difital preferred?? I assumed digital since both sources are digital) and also which allows me to use the chromecast, providing either a real or emulated 5.1

Thank you for reading and thank you for your help

autrepensee

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
expat_mike said:
Hello Autrepensee,

Welcome to the forum. I am sure that someone will be able to help, but i think their first question will be "what is your budget",

Hello!

I would say anywhere between 50 and a few hundreds. Obviously the lower I spend the better it is. I do not have a huge budget and I understand that in audio more than anything else, you get what you pay for. So in the end I'm looking for the best price to quality ratio i can find within my budget.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts