I need a headphone amp

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Finally got my new AKGs today (K240 MkII).

I have them plugged into my gf's laptop at the minute and they do sound pretty good, no undue emphasis on one frequency range over another, nice deep bass, smooth treble that doesn't grate at all.

However I'm pretty sure they can sound much better running off something with a bit more precision and grunt than the laptop, so I will almost certainly add a headphone amp. Any recommendations? My budget is flexible(ish) but I haven't yet decided what my source will ultimatley be. My netbook has limited hard drive capacity so I'd need to get an external drive, but I'm keen to keep the set-up simple, so maybe a CD player into an analogue amp?

I've also considered a Squeezebox touch, anything else?

Thanks again folks[:)]

idc

Nice one dave_k. If you decide to use your PC as the source (which I would recommend as it future proofs you and allows access to streamed music off the internet) then I would get a combined headphone amp and DAC. You can either get a headphone amp with a DAC, such as the Firestone Fubar or a DAC with a headphone amp such as a Beresford. Some companies emphasise one over the other, it does not really matter which one you go for. They have different connectivity. That can be done for under £200.

If you go down the CDP as a source then you can get plenty of amps with a headphone out put which can try first. Then, if you want to upgrade get a dedicated headphone amp that piggy backs the amp. Second hand Musical Fidelity X-CANS, V2, V3 and V8 all work brilliantly with the AKG. Both emphasise detail and clarity and a big midrange. They can be found on ebay for £100 to £350.

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Any thoughts on some of the ones on ebay? aune, little dot etc?

The musical fidelity is right at top of budget, and I think I'd start with something lower priced and take it from there.

Then there is taht lovely looking icon audio HP8...

idc

I have not heard it, but it is rated and looks, well I think pretty good, the Bravo Headphone amp. Search ebay for valve headphone amp and see what you think. It is well in budget.

A

Anonymous

i would recommend you try a used Creek OBH-21SE which can be had for around £200. This is a stunning can amp but if so inclined you can tinker with it to get even more from it. I had a Graham Slee Solo mkIII prior to the Creek and much prefer the Creek.

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
The AKGs are pretty good, although they are the first full size headphones I've heard. I can listen for hours without fatigue and they are comfortable too and seem well made.

Even connected to the laptop directly i can hear details i've not heard before. Bass is nice and defined and not overpowering. I'm looking forward to the improvements I suspect adding a DAC and dedicated amp will bring.

I'll probably go for the fubar IV or Beresford Caiman.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
I have been looking around ebay and found the below: has anyone tried Little Dot head amps?

Little Dot I+ Hybrid Headphone Amplifier & 6JI standard

Laceybloke

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi Dave,

I was in your position a few months back, and was debating the Fubar IV and Beresford Caiman, as well as the iBasso range.

The thing that swung it for me (andhttp://community.whathifi.com/forums/1/375941/ShowThread.aspx several other forum users at the time) was the great price reduction Firestone Audio were doing on the Fubar IV just after Christmas, so I bought one. I'm using it in conjunction with an Apple Airport Express via optical, but have had it connected directly to my computer via USB as well. Both methods work equally well.

Since then, I can honestly say that it is the best audio gadget I've bought in a long time (possibly ever). It has revolutionised my Grado SR80i cans, and I listen to almost all my music through it these days - my main hifi has just about become redundant.

I would certainly recommend it even at its regular price. It's a very versatile bit of kit - USB, coax, optical inputs and a stereo line out, very well built, compact unit, looks great, sounds superb.

I've since added The Supplier power supply to it and that's just made it even better.

I've written about my experiences with it here - if you're interested.

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Laceybloke. I can see pros and cons to each. Fubar looks better and can stack nicely with its power supply. Beresford is maybe more versatile as it has fixed and variable outs and switchable inputs.

Question: with the Fubar can you have more than one input connected at one time? How does it switch between them or are they all 'on'?

Laceybloke

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Good question! Yes, you can have more than one input connected - I have the Airport Express connected via optical, and my old CD player connected via coaxial. Not tried playing them both at the same time to see what happens though!

I was initially thinking the fixed and variable outputs on the Beresford were a good thing, but then decided that my setup wouldn't utilise the variable outputs anyway. The only thing I can see this being used for is if you wanted to output the DAC straight into a power amp, essentially using the Beresford as a digital pre-amp. As I was outputting my source to either an integrated amp or headphones, I just didn't need this feature (meaning that I was paying for something I'd never use) - just got the impression that the Beresford (apart from looking a bit nasty) was just trying to be jack-of-all-trades. Of course, I've not heard it so can't comment on that aspect.

A

Anonymous

Blackdawn:
Dave how are the AKG's?

if it sounds good - What mods have you made to the creek? What makes it better than the Graham Solo's? Am thinking of getting this amp.

Hi Blackdawn, sorry for delay in replying. The mods i did were few and minimal but have made a huge difference in the sound. They havent changed the character of the sound - merely improved it.
The biggest improvement in sound was the result of me replacing the two main Vishay smoothing caps with Elna Cerafines. This really gave a much fuller and extended bottom end, which is always welcome! The only problem with this mod is that the Cerafine caps are much bigger than the originals so i had a bit of a struggle to fit them in but managed in the end by mounting them horizontally. As a matter of course i then bypassed the new caps with .10uF caps.
One of the other mods i did that made a big difference was to run solid silver cable from the input jacks to the volume potentiometer. This resulted in a more detailed sound and was a quick and easy mod to do.
hope this helps. any questions just ask and i'll try and help

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Blackdawn:Dave_ Did you get a headphone amp or DAC for your 240 Mk2's?

Not yet Blackdawn, still deliberating and keeping an eye on the 'Bay...

Will keep the thread posted..

A

Anonymous

Hi I would hope that you are considering NECO mofset headphone amps on ebay, very strong following. Exceptional performance for the price and 2nd to none aftersales ! I love mine and Neco will tune output to suit your headphones............works will with an NVA super sound pipe as interconnect (short !)

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Just purchased a Beresford Caiman as I feel it's the most versatile DAC for the money and also has the most good user reviews so we'll see what it's like with my AKGs. If need be i will try a different pair of 'phones but will wait to hear it with my current ones first of all.

My slightly longer term plan is to hook up a blu-ray player to a small TV so I'll have films, tv and radio as well as CD playback and tunes from my laptop, all fed though the DAC and into the 'phones, with the option of adding a small pair of powered speakers as well...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts