I have wooden floors, put granite chopping board under subwoofers?

jayukguy147

Aug 12, 2022
Visit site
I will be running dual subwoofers soon (TX7's)... I have wooden floors and wondering if placing granite chopping boards under the subs, is a solid idea?

Or maybe something else?

:)

Florestander

May 8, 2021
Visit site
I imagine that what you wish to do is prevent the transfer of frequencies that will create a resonance within the floorboarding and associated structure. In this situation, it is likely that you coudl simply add another dimension to potential resonance.
I am guessing that what you may wish to do is 'isolate' the subwoofer(s) to prevent frequency and resonance, and if this is so, you may be better trying sorbothane or similar feet, which are relatively inexpensive and may help you to prevent the lower frequencies becoming a distraction.

D

Deleted member 195594

I have a REL Tx5 and have been thinking of isolating it from the floor, which is floorboards on joists, overlaid with solid oak flooring.

I know REL don't recommend putting anything under their subs, but with the Tx5 being downward firing, in to my bouncy 100+ Yr old joists and f/boards, I'm not convinced 🙄😊.

I have the sub currently elevated on cork/rubber blocks, which did give a slight improvement to resonance and "tightness" , so I'm tempted to go one step further, especially after the very recent success with IsoAcoustics Gaia IIIs on my speaker stands.

Has anyone else isolated REL's, or any sub for that matter?

mxer

Dec 15, 2021
Visit site
I have one REL B3.
It was on a suspended, carpeted floor. I was concerned about the less than solid REL to floor connection.
I glued and screwed two 3/4 inch thick MDF boards together with 2 inch spikes. That platform is under the REL.
As good as the REL performed, the bass now has better definition.

For what it matters:
The REL is fed from an aktiv Linn LK 85 bass amplifier with the stock REL high level cable. That amp and another aktiv LK 85 (treble) run aktiv Linn Katans on Linn Katan stands filled with 25 pounds of lead shot.

If they’re the REL T/7x you seem to have a front-firing driver with a passive downward radiator. The feet look substantial, so I’d try them as they are at first.

Bear in mind that the downward facing unit will interact differently with wood, carpet/rug, slate. And any feet or platform needs to be rigid not sprung otherwise the sub can potentially move backwards slightly, absorbing the output you’re seeking.

Most of us have various materials at home that can be worth experimenting with, like rugs, wood offcuts, books, etc. I wonder if the manual makes any suggestions?

Last edited:
In my experience it won’t stop a thing placing concrete/stone slabs under subwoofers and speakers in fact it could make it worse. You need to decouple some how. Spikes normally.
Surely spikes couple??
Spiking onto a suspended wooden floor would not be a good idea, in my opinion.
Still, as with everything hifi, the OP should try all configurations and decide for himself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dom and WayneKerr

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts