I have seen the future and this is it.....(how interesting)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Audiophiles who talk of how awful compressed music is, are listening with their eys Maybe some. But it is all down to the compression rate. Some compressed music will be awful, some excellent. Only excellent is going to satisfy the real audiophile. I myself would never dream of buying music to download, but I'm more than happy to stream it whenever I want it. But it needs to be of sufficient quality.

CDs will become a curiosity for the nostalgic, like vinylThat would probably be true, if that were true of vinyl. Vinyl is far from a curiosity, only to those brought up on CD, DCC and MiniDisc, the latter two formats will become REAL curiosities. Vinyl has outlasted all other formats, and will probably continue to do so for many more decades, even with the current craze for downloading. It will continue to be the best sounding format we have - people wondering around a hi-fi store notice a vinyl system playing more so than any type of digital music system. Proven.

The B&Ws, Sonus Fabers and Wilson Audios of the world will be rushing to catch up with little AVi.Other than possibly B&W, I don't see the other speaker manufacturers rushing out to copy this, it's not their style.

Meridian may claim they already do this and that it is nothing new.

Just a few points.

John Duncan

Oh oh
emotion-8.gif

A

Anonymous

Yes it was obviously self-promotion but he raises some interesting points for discussion.

Must admit I cant see the current formats being replaced anytime in the next 20 years

A

Anonymous

I was discussing audio quality on Twitter and wondered outloud whether Apple would ever release lossless music from iTunes.

Several people pointed me to EDITED BY MODS for House Rules an article discussing the quality threshold effect that is becoming widespread. Utility not quality is becoming key.

Several examples, the Flip video camera is one, but there are plenty more.

The ariticle in terms of music points to listeners becoming used to the brightness and buzz of 128 and 256k AACs, combined with near instant downloads. I'm certainly pretty happy with Spotify at 320, though the music I've subsequently bought on CD has more depth when ripped lossless, eg the XX.

Most people never get to this stage, 256k is the limit for most of my friends, when I mention DACs, decent speakers and headphones I'm gently mocked. Most people are happy at 256k, even some artists are happy releasing a download capped to 256k, though most would baulk at not releasing a CD for an album, the majority of singles are digital only.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
zzgavin:
I was discussing audio quality on Twitter and wondered outloud whether Apple would ever release lossless music from iTunes.
Several people pointed me to EDITED BY MODS for House Rules an article discussing the quality threshold effect that is becoming widespread. Utility not quality is becoming key.
Several examples, the Flip video camera is one, but there are plenty more.

The ariticle in terms of music points to listeners becoming used to the brightness and buzz of 128 and 256k AACs, combined with near instant downloads. I'm certainly pretty happy with Spotify at 320, though the music I've subsequently bought on CD has more depth when ripped lossless, eg the XX.

Most people never get to this stage, 256k is the limit for most of my friends, when I mention DACs, decent speakers and headphones I'm gently mocked. Most people are happy at 256k, even some artists are happy releasing a download capped to 256k, though most would baulk at not releasing a CD for an album, the majority of singles are digital only.

You're right, most people are happy with MP3. But then again a significant number of people enjoy eating at Toby Carvery and Pizza Hut, or enjoy a £1 lasagna from Iceland.

Hardly the last word in food.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:zzgavin:

You're right, most people are happy with MP3. But then again a significant number of people enjoy eating at Toby Carvery and Pizza Hut, or enjoy a £1 lasagna from Iceland.

I'd completely agree that there can be nicer food, but there are many providers of food and formats for the food to be served.

There are precious few physical formats for music. CD will not disappear immediately, but CD singles are already on the way out.

Buying physical CDs is seen amongst my geek friends (and wider) as a strange act. Why would I wait for the postman, rip them myself, have all that stuff to store etc? I'd say the majority of people I know buy digital downloads only, particularly if under 30.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
zzgavin:JoelSim:zzgavin:

I'd completely agree that there can be nicer food, but there are many providers of food and formats for the food to be served.

There are precious few physical formats for music. CD will not disappear immediately, but CD singles are already on the way out.

Buying physical CDs is seen amongst my geek friends (and wider) as a strange act. Why would I wait for the postman, rip them myself, have all that stuff to store etc? I'd say the majority of people I know buy digital downloads only, particularly if under 30.

I don't disagree. They are missing out, and they don't realise it.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
barnsleydave:Yes it was obviously self-promotion

It's not self-promotion at all, but rather a heartfelt piece written by Phelonious Ponk, a happy user who just happens to love the system so much he's written a piece to go on the front page of the website even though he's absolutely nothing to do with the company.

How cynical of you to see it as 'self-promotion'...

idc

An interesting article and the comment about audiophiles straining to hear artifacts, playing vulnerable passages to spot problems caught my attention. From now on I will listen to the sound as a whole and not analyse and fault pick minute detail. By doing that it helps to explain why I like the sound of Spotify so much.

I know I bang on about Spotify, but yet again today I found it sounds better than other formats. I was given a loan of a CD, Shinedown 'The Sound of Madness' and then found them on Spotify and the track 'Second Chance' sounded great on CD, but spine tingling on Spotify.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

barnsleydave:Yes it was obviously self-promotion

It's not self-promotion at all, but rather a heartfelt piece written by Phelonious Ponk, a happy user who just happens to love the system so much he's written a piece to go on the front page of the website even though he's absolutely nothing to do with the company.

How cynical of you to see it as 'self-promotion'...

Yes I'm obviously getting very cynical in my old age. I am sure he has no ties at all to the company. How presumptious and cynical of me to think so.

Having said all that I would LOVE to hear some......

T

the record spot

I thought Ashley's pompous attitude was rubbish a year ago, not a lot's changed in the intervening months. Same goes for phoney Phelonious. Turned me off AVI as a firm on a grand scale.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
well i can hear the diferance between lossless and 320.i will admit 320 is very good but i dont have to strain anyting to hear the diferance on my system.i will stick with cd for now i think. i enjoy looking around the record store anyway,every friday after work i go and get a new album it brings the weekend in nicley.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts