I have no idea

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I've neen thinking a lot about the suggestion that I get rid of the CD player, and buy a streamer, and certainly now that the Marantz I heard a while ago is available with £200 off, it is very tempting.

However, I am not sure I understand the best way to go about it. If I am streaming form my phone or iPad that is easy enough, but if I want to copy all my CDs to a drive, it needs to be a NAS, right? Or can I use an ordinary external hard-drive as long as it is attached to a laptop that is always on?

If I do need a NAS, what are my best (and by best, I mean absolute cheapest) options?

Thanks....

ps Still in love with the Primare, I swear it gets better every time I listen to it!

insider9

Are you using any of the streaming services? If not, do you intend to in the future?

What's the size of your library and what format is it in? Can you use any existing equipment such as a laptop/desktop/spare Raspberry Pi/ Chromecast Audio?

Would the move be because of convenience or concerns about sound quality?

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I use Apple Music - a lot. I have a 128GB iPhone which has a fair amount on it.

I don't currently have a digital library, but would digitize all of my cds - around 300 or so. Would need help on best way to copy them with free (preferably) software, and in what format.

I do have spare external storage, and could make a laptop available soon - although it runs on Ubuntu.

The change would be mainly for convenience. I very rarely indeed use the CD player, and I reckon that the streamer would have better sound quality that the AEX I use currently to take music from phone/ipad...

I hope that's all clear!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Free dB Poweramp on Laptop-> NAS (not expensive) -> Linn/Naim/Cyrus Streamer...would be how I would go about it.

Some brands Linn (and I think Naim), give a free 3 month trial with Tidal.

insider9

The first thing I'd do is use the laptop as streamer. Put Daphile on it (free headless Linux stremer distro). Works fine off a USB stick if you want to try it. It can also rip CDs. Attach external storage to it and connect to a DAC. Job done! Then control from a mobile.

One thing though is I don't know if you can run Apple Music with it. It supports alternatives streaming services though.

So £0 spent, how's that *biggrin*

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Some food for thought there. I shall look into those options.

I won't be moving away from Apple Music though. I have a family account for my wife and I, and aour two children, and I use the ability to listen offline to take music with me when I travel.

I'd love to look at Linn/Naim/Cyrus, but the reality of having just spent £900 on an amp and cables, means that my absolute limit for a streamer will be £300.

cheers....

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
As far as I am aware, most hi-fi streamers do not have native support for Apple music, you need a computer or an iThing.

That makes the Airplay option pretty sensible, for you own rips, there is plenty of free software and since you do not have that many, a usb stick may well be enough. Most streamers have a usb input and will support this, not quite as tidy as using a NAS, but cheap and simple.

If anyone knows streamers that support Apple Music, please tell.

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Anything that supports Airplay will stream Apple music you just pick it off the Airplay list from a ithing. Same as spotify before the connect thing you just aim your audio out at it.

daveh75

CnoEvil said:
Free dB Poweramp on Laptop-> NAS (not expensive) -> Linn/Naim/Cyrus Streamer...would be how I would go about it.

dBpoweramp is not free, there's a 21 day free trial then it's £30

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
daveh75 said:
CnoEvil said:

According to this, there are 2 versions, the Free Version (which I use) and the Reference (paid) version.

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/db-versions.htm

daveh75

davedotco said:
If anyone knows streamers that support Apple Music, please tell.

The only streamer with native support for Apple Music is Sonos, but the implementation is a bit clunky ISTR.

So if the the OP insists with sticking with AM then the terrible Airplay or Bluetooth are the best options..

insider9

My advice with streamers would to to carefully consider what you may use in a few months. I appreciate you're using Apple Music at present but should that change any money spent now could be spent unnecessarily.

I've done this myself a few times. Buying streamer for Spotify to then realise I prefer Tidal. Finally realising I prefer Roon with Tidal on headless PC and not a ready made streamer.

One easy and flexible solution to this is to do it with a PC of some description. Which you already might be using or could setup relatively cheap (Raspberry Pi).

daveh75

CnoEvil said:
daveh75 said:
CnoEvil said:

According to this, there are 2 versions, the Free Version (which I use) and the Reference (paid) version.

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/db-versions.htm

Oh, they've changed it then. They didn't use to offer a free cut down version when I last used it, but I haven't used it since I completely washed my hands of Windows several years ago tbh.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Oh, they've changed it then. They didn't use to offer a free cut down version when I last used it, but I haven't used it since I completely washed my hands of Windows several years ago tbh.

I only discovered it, when the CD drive of my RipNas (which came with the original version) gave up (again)....and I decided that the Free Version met my needs, as I don't rip that much now that I have Tidal.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice.

I do like the idea of using a large capacity usb plugged in the front (or back).

I will categorically not be moving away form Apple Music. I've never used anything else, and all four of us in the house use it, and are happy with it.

The streamer I am thinking of is the Marantz NA6005. I've heard it before and was impressed.

insider9

chris_bates1974 said:
I will categorically not be moving away form Apple Music. 
Famous last words. The gear you're using properly setup should reliably show difference between Apple Music and CD quality material (streamed or local). Nevermind if you continue with your upgrades.

Whether the differences are important to your is an entirely different matter. Considering money you're spending I'd say there is a good chance it is important. And if it isn't yet, how long till it is?

Your journey isn't unique. I've said the same about Spotify only to ditch it shortly after for Tidal Hifi. In the meantime I already bought a streamer that did Spotify and not Tidal (at the time).

For Apple Music my suggestion would be an Airplay dongle connected into a digital input on your amp. Many available around £20. They will also work with local files.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I'm not sure I can hear a difference between Apple Music using airplay and through the AEX into the amp, and CD playback from the Cyrus. There is a clear difference with vinyl, but I'd not say one is "better" than the other.

Perhaps that opinion may change over time.

Cost per month is another consideration, and since there are four of us using a family account, the upswing in cost would be difficult to justify.

I do like the idea of an AirPlay dongle. The AEX does drop from time to time, and I never did discover what the distortion issue was (it just stopped happening, see another of my posts).

If you've a brand you could recommend, I'd be grateful.

insider9

If AEX works keep it. There are Neet Airstream dongles I've heard mentioned a few times. Reviews seem mixed. But it may be down to sound quality out of built in DAC or something else that's irrelevant to you. I'm not sure.

Please investigate for yourself, or buy with good returns. There's always compromises in audio. Convenience is always the top of the pile, so I wouldn't worry. I'm not trying to be negative just hoping you avoid my mistakes and won't buy something that's unfit for purpose. And if you do at least make it cheap :)

daveh75

chris_bates1974 said:
Honestly, I'm not sure I can hear a difference between Apple Music using airplay and through the AEX into the amp, and CD playback from the Cyrus. There is a clear difference with vinyl, but I'd not say one is "better" than the other.

I wouldnt worry, there's nowt wrong with your ears, insider is just trotting out audiophool clichés as matter of fact

Cost per month is another consideration, and since there are four of us using a family account, the upswing in cost would be difficult to justify.

If you're happy with AM fine, but have you actually looked at the alternatives?

Because Google Play/YouTube Music, Spotify, Deezer, and Tidal all offer family plans at around the same price as AM...

rainsoothe

daveh75 said:
chris_bates1974 said:

I wouldnt worry, there's nowt wrong with your ears, insider is just trotting out audiophool clichés as matter of fact

If you're happy with AM fine, but have you actually looked at the alternatives?

Because Google Play/YouTube Music, Spotify, Deezer, and Tidal all offer family plans at around the same price as AM...

I wouldnt worry, there's nowt wrong with Apple Music, daveh is just trotting out apple hater clichés as unbiased suggestions.

Btw, daveh, you know there's nothing wrong with op's hearing for a fact? Is that your professional, medical opinion, as a matter of fact?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts