I have 1 week to decide before my new baby arrives and then

julianhay

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello - i REALLY need advise please :) !!!!!!.

Have been researching what hi-fi / online for 5months for a completely new separates set-up - as a gift to myself for thew birth of our 2nd child now due in 1 week - and unless i get this sorted in the next 5 days this will be sure to go on the back burner for 2yrs!!!!

My last system was a Denon/Mission combo which i bought in 1989 - I still have the same speakers in my office with an newly purchased Denon M39 which still sounds great. As you can see once I purchase i stick for a long time and therefore would like a decent set up at home

What i was delighted to see was in the Jan what hi fi the 3000k system was pretty much what I had decided on; Audiolab 8200CD - £800, Heed obelisk si - £1290, Kef Ls50 - £800, Cambridge audio stream magic 6 - £700

Its a lot of money, a lot of kit, impossible to find anywhere to trial together (have been looking for a month) - but the endorsements give me confidence to just go for it

But then there was a small thought whether it might be just better and simpler to go for the NAIM AUDIO UNITI2 - £2795 + Kef Ls50 - £800.

So advice please;

Which one would you go for on sound? Is there much difference?

Does it matter if I would order all online as I cant get the 1st option from one source

As I am an idiot on set up - can i do this myself, what cables etc would i need - or should i get someone in to do it and if so how if noone sells all this kit

NB: remembering in 1 weeks time I will be out of action and i just need te ability to occassionally close the door, shut my eyes and head off to a different pace for 10mins :)!

many many thanks J

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
julianhay said:
Have been researching what hi-fi / online for 5months for a completely new separates set-up - as a gift to myself for thew birth of our 2nd child now due in 1 week - and unless i get this sorted in the next 5 days this will be sure to go on the back burner for 2yrs!!!!
You missed out a zero near the end of that sentence.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Both systems will sound excellent, and the Naim/KEF combo has the added advantage of being more compact as it's an all-in-one unit. However, the separates system gives you more flexibility, especially as the Audiolab acts as a DAC (and a very good one) for other digital devices, and makes it easier to upgrade at a later date. Think of the Audiolab as a DAC with a built-in CD drive, rather than the other way round.

You should be able to set up both systems yourself provided you get all the necessary interconnect and speaker cables. Check out our Award winners for some suggestions.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
See, if it was me – and fortunately, given my aversion to anything small and mewling, it isn't! – I'd go for the Naim UnitiLite and the KEFs.

The UnitiLite is dangerously close to the NU2 in performance terms, has five digital inputs and two analogue for future system expansion, and, IMHO at least, is much better value.

And it might be worth considering some other speakers: perhaps a pair of PMC DB1is or, if you could accomadate floorstanders (and given that the KEFs will need to be used on stands, you probably can), even the Neat Motive 2s. You could probably pick up an ex-dem pair of the Neats, which will be nicely run-in, for about the same price as the KEFs and a decent pair of stands. Or a pair of PMC's GB1s, again ex-dem, for around £1200-£1300.

By the way, it's unlikely you'll be able to buy at least some of the stuff you're considering online: not sure that Naim's too hot on mail-order, for example...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Considering your budget, your time-constraints and your circumstances, someone's bound to come along and suggest one obvious option you haven't considered, which is a digital streaming device (streamer/computer etc) linked to a good pair of active speakers.

jjbomber

MajorFubar said:
Considering your budget, your time-constraints and your circumstances, someone's bound to come along and suggest one obvious option you haven't considered, which is a digital streaming device (streamer/computer etc) linked to a good pair of active speakers.

But thank goodness they haven't :grin: :grin: :grin:

julianhay

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
1st time posting on a site and cant believe the speed and number of replies - REALLY appreciate it thank you.

Not sure if i am closer to a decison though with 120hrs to go...

Would i be right to say the experts opion is split.... i guess that could be a good thing and they are both good options...?

So can i phrase it like this - if you were me and you were about to part with c.3-3.5k remembering this system is from scratch + to be as future proof as poss for about a decade - what would you buy

many thanks again

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I'm not a parent (thank god for that one), but I have nieces & nephews and if there's one thing my poor unfortunate relatives rely on more than anything when there are young kids around, it's headphones.

Firstly, it stops them whingeing when you're listening to music you like. Secondly, it isolates you from Sky+ recordings of 'Gangnam Style' on endless repeat....

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
julianhay said:
So can i phrase it like this - if you were me and you were about to part with c.3-3.5k remembering this system is from scratch + to be as future proof as poss for about a decade - what would you buy

Naim UnitiLite/ Neat Motive 2s/a decent NAS (ie reliable, quiet) to stream from.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Baby + 1 year or so = toddler.

Toddler + stand mounted speakers = oops!

Maybe give some consideration to speakers that can be wall bracket/shelf mounted for some of those 10 years without too much detriment to sound quality.

(It is my experience that mums with toddlers like to invite lots of other mums - with their toddlers - around for play mornings and suchlike.)

John Duncan

I'd buy an iPod and some decent headphones, no way you're listening to any music for the next five years...

Or UnitiLite and DB1is. I havent heard the Lite but am going to assume it sounds the same as the mk1 Uniti did with the PMCs before they upped the power - that is to say, fantastic.

John Duncan

jjbomber said:
My choice:

http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/HD.php?_NAI_UNITILITE_TAN_REVDC6TSE_ST_&CAT=STSYS&ID=6106

Not sure if you can get a Unitilite in time, but good luck.

Bloody hell there are some good deals there. And the Neat Iotas would go on a bookshelf...

John Duncan

Andrew Everard said:
julianhay said:

Naim UnitiLite/ Neat Motive 2s/a decent NAS (ie reliable, quiet) to stream from.

www.creative-audio.co.uk/HD.php?_NAI_UNITILITE_NEA_MOTIVE2_&CAT=STSYS&ID=5837&UNIQUEID=1234

julianhay

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Chubby very funny and good advice
Andy and andrew - experts - thank you
John very amusing and useful
With 117 hours left and now even more options I need clarification
It looks like the naim is leading but why not with the kefs and now I have more speaker options of tannoys (highly recommended I see) and the neat motives and pics (that I know nothing about) - so need more help please
Plus Is creative-audio safe and comes well recommended to drop 3k on them with no history of them on delivery, service record etc...?
Thank you all once again

John Duncan

julianhay said:

I love spellcheck :)

julianhay said:
With 117 hours left and now even more options I need clarification It looks like the naim is leading but why not with the kefs and now I have more speaker options of tannoys (highly recommended I see) and the neat motives and pics (that I know nothing about) - so need more help please Plus Is creative-audio safe and comes well recommended to drop 3k on them with no history of them on delivery, service record etc...? Thank you all once again

I recommend the DB1i only because I had them with my Uniti and they sounded fantastic, as did Neat Petite SX, so can imagine other models n the range working well. Andrew has more experience of the Neats.

I hear good things about the KEF but haven't heard them. Nor, sadly, can I speak personally of creative audio, but they have a real shop which is always a good start:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=SY1+1EN&ll=52.707059,-2.751013&spn=0.002226,0.004903&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Shrewsbury+SY1+1EN,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=52.707224,-2.751045&panoid=RFZo-65N7bytumIFlLJGyQ&cbp=12,306.84,,0,-5.72

:)

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Very nice building for a hi-fi shop!

I have always found Naim & Neat the best combination when I've heard them at shows, very fine indeed

jjbomber

julianhay said:
Plus Is creative-audio safe and comes well recommended to drop 3k on them with no history of them on delivery, service record etc...? Thank you all once again

Ex-manager of Audio Excellemce in Cardiff. Excellent service. If you have any doubts, pay by credit card for the extra security. Priority number 1 is to see if they can get a UnitiLite before the deadline (or get the baby to hang on for a few more days).

julianhay

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
So it's the naim unilite , a big decision made, unless someone has a strong view on the original combo

Andrew and others seem in favour of the neat motives so how do you get a good demo pair remembering anyone seeing me rush into their shop will know they can pass on a dud

Also with the kefs are there any stands that don't look like nelsons column ie that are a bit lighter for the design/look of the kefs

And finally and I know it's a long shot - anyone heard the difference between the neats and the kef ... And with the naim

3 shopping days to go!!!

Thanks so much again

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Go on Custom Design's website, there are number of very neat designs (I have the 100s I think for my blingy B&W CM1s) I then loaded them with Atacama Atabites so they weigh around 7kg each but still manage to look very nice with with a pair of small, luxury speakers

julianhay

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
i am off to hear the naim / kef on mon and will then make a call as its the only combo that there has been no comment ons

thanks everyone for all your time on this - think i might even get the order in before no.2 arrives!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts