Humax Foxsat HDR - Connect to Laptop ?

emptage

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a Humax Foxsat HDR and would like to play files from the hard disc through the Humax to my Sony EX403 TV. Is this possible. My laptop does not have an HMDI port. If this is not possible is there another way of achieving this.

daveh75

Your best bet would be to install Raydons custom f/w (media and file server bundle) on your Humax, which would allow you to stream to your laptop, or a tablet/smarphone etc, plus other handy features.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1661195-media-file-server-bundle-foxsat-hdr-release-4-0-part-3-a.html

emptage

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this. I am a little nervous of downloading this software to my brand new Foxsat box. Is there I way I can achieve this using cable connections. I note that the Foxsat has a USB port

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I think you might be confused - the Humax will playback any recordings on its hard drive direct - you don't need a laptop.

Or are you trying to play back recordings on your laptop hard disk?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
If I've read correctly, your TV has a VGA input (picture below) - presumably your laptop has a VGA output on it (if it doesn't have HDMI)? So just connect your laptop direct to your TV with a VGA cable.

300px-SVGA_port.jpg

Without the software Dave's linked to, there's no way you can play media which is on your laptop through your Humax, and even then, it would need to be in the right format to do so.

emptage

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, this weems to

be the answer I was looking for. The TV does have a VGA input. Will I also need a seperate input for the sound ? If So, how do i achieve that ?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
You will need a separate connection for sound, yes. How to achieve this will depend on what outputs your laptop has - if you have a standard 3.5mm output (looks the same as a headphone output), then you should be able to connect this into your TV with a 3.5mm cable (the input on the TV will look the same and will be close to the VGA input). Otherwise, you could possibly connect into your Nait5i-2 with a 3.5mm to RCA phono lead.

If you have a DAC and if your laptop has an optical output, you could connect via this into the DAC. Remember, you'll probably need to configure Windows (or whatever your operating system is) to output via this connection.

If you have none of these options, you'd need to look into getting some kind of USB sound card which would give you one of these connections.

emptage

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I have done this and have got

a picture on the tv screen Howver the picture is small and does not occupy the whole of the tv screen How do I make it fill the whole of the tv screen

johnnyblue

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
I stream BBC I player from our laptop to the Toshiba tv via an hdmi cable.To get the picture to fill the screen you will have to fiddle through the various aspect ratios on the TV.On Toshiba TVs it's usually the Cinema 1 or 2 aspect.Sony will no doubt have their equivelant.

TRENDING THREADS